SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Trijicon HD vs HD XR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon HD vs HD XR Login/Join 
posted
Looking for an opinion from someone who has used both the HD and HD XR sights which they like better. I have a 239 and the Sig sights are great in bright light or very low light when they glow, but in dim light against a dark back round they disappear on me. I've read good things about the XR sights but it seems that the thinner post might be harder to see. LGS don't carry them so I can't see them before buying,so have to order them .

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that it just comes down to whether or not you prefer a thinner front sight (HD XR) or something that fills up more the rear sighting channel (regular HD).

The thinner profile allows the shooter to potentially see more of the target downrange, but for some could also increase the guesstimating when centering the front because the visual gaps in the sight picture between the sides of the front and the sides of the rear channel is larger. I've found that it's a relatively common complaint usually from less experienced shooters who come into the shop looking for new sights for their gun, because the existing ones "suck" or are "hard to use".

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I like the XR better all the way around. To the point, I'll never buy another set of Ameriglos or standard HDs again. The thinner blade allows better feed back off of the sights even up close. In shooting a FAST drill, I get better feed back on the headshots.

At distance, the sights give me better feedback at distance. They cover less of the target at 50 and 100. The XR cuts the difference in IDPA between a fiber optic front and steel sights. I am shooting IDPA right now with the XR over the fiber optic.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really hoping these come out for 1911's, just what I'm looking for.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I'm one of the folks that prefers to have minimal light on either side of the front sight when aligning the sights. IMHO, making the visible gaps larger to help with seeing the target better using sight picture #3 would be negated altogether if more companies just made their sights shoot to point of aim like sight picture #2 below. Better visibility of the target and point of impact when you are firing.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Mr. Jones,
Have you shot the Sig X-RAY3 sights? If so, how do they compare to the HDXR?

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I like the XR better all the way around. To the point, I'll never buy another set of Ameriglos or standard HDs again. The thinner blade allows better feed back off of the sights even up close. In shooting a FAST drill, I get better feed back on the headshots.

At distance, the sights give me better feedback at distance. They cover less of the target at 50 and 100. The XR cuts the difference in IDPA between a fiber optic front and steel sights. I am shooting IDPA right now with the XR over the fiber optic.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The 3s are nice. The XR is more narrow. I actually am a fan of the XRAYS because they zero so fricking good on my P-Series guns.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Jones, I am wanting to replace the sights on my older P220. The XRAYS may be the ticket.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The 3s are nice. The XR is more narrow. I actually am a fan of the XRAYS because they zero so fricking good on my P-Series guns.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post