SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally Joined the 1911 Club. Magazine Question from the Nubie
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally Joined the 1911 Club. Magazine Question from the Nubie Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Back when the 1911 was USGI and everybody was happy with 7 rounds of hardball, the guns and magazines were all built to the same specifications and interchangeable.

Nowadays, there are so many brands made by people who think they are smarter than John Browning and customers demanding more shots with funny shaped bullets, it is kind of a crapshoot.
All the above brands will, like a Jaguar automobile, occasionally work perfectly.
I prefer McCormick Power Mags and think their RPM is worth a look.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on acquiring that fine pistol. I use Wilson Combat ETM on my 1911 (.45 cal and 9mm). Tripp Cobra and Chip McCormick are excellent magazines also.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I prefer WILSON, but I have a number of KIMBER and McCORMICK as well.

A lot of people buy their range magazines from this place. I have no experience with them, just passing it on...

https://joes1911magmania.net/

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I see that TGS has the Wilson 47 and ETM 500 in stock. I'll start by picking up one of each.

I see that Wilson also makes a 500 ETM HD/+P. Is this necessary if I occasionally shoot +P's?

Posts: 11 | Location: Chesterland, Ohio | Registered: March 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Greg Cote was previously suggested. He's a member here. His shipping is very reasonable compared to most other sources...

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
AS others mentioned, can't go wrong with McCormick and Wilson.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have used the Shooting Star 8 rounders for over 20 years with no problems.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WKirk:
Thanks for all the info. I see that TGS has the Wilson 47 and ETM 500 in stock. I'll start by picking up one of each.

I see that Wilson also makes a 500 ETM HD/+P. Is this necessary if I occasionally shoot +P's?

Just a marketing gimmick to basically say the etm is a heavy duty hard use magazine

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
quote:
Originally posted by WKirk:

Just a marketing gimmick to basically say the etm is a heavy duty hard use magazine

This is incorrect. The HD/+P uses a flat wire spring that won't wear out. Definitely worth it.

Another piece of misinformation to ignore are the recommendations on the 47D. That mag crams 8 rounds into a 7 round tube and is notorious for springs weakening. Not recommended, even by Bill Wilson himself.

If you want the best, there are 3 choices: ETM-V, ETM HD/+P, and Tripp.

Posts: 92 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tripp mags

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat mags are the best 1911 mags out there.

Maybe, after you get the 1911 affliction out of you, you'll go out and by the better "1911" and get a P220 SAO.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:

Maybe, after you get the 1911 affliction out of you, you'll go out and by the better "1911" and get a P220 SAO.

Man, you're on quite a roll here. You start a thread complaining about this forum not hosting pictures attracting comments from Para, and now you insult the OP of this thread about his having chosen a 1911. Are you off your meds or what?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ogive40
posted Hide Post
Congrats..nice gun.
You will find that most quality mags will run fine in that gun.

What may differ is that some mags will contribute to smoother feeding. I like the 7 rounders from Checkmate and Wilson. The Tripp follower mag mod in a 7 round body really run seamless.

Wilson 8 rounders run great too.

"The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental."
John Steinbeck

Posts: 2230 | Location: NJ | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Every individual 1911 seems to prefer one brand of mag over the others, while some guns work with several different brands. Try all the top names and find what works best in your gun. The names already mentioned are all good. In my Colt Govt. models, I did not like Tripp, Chip McCormick or Checkmate, for different reasons. Each had quirks (in my gun). I liked Metalform and the Wilsons. The Wilson 47Ds worked well, but I much preferred the Wilson ETMs.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
After carrying and using 1911's over many years, I prefer the Wilsons.
Wilson Combat ETM and Wilson 47Ds specifically.

That said, the offerings from Tripp are nice but very expensive, McCormick, Brown among others...

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I'm a 1911 fan (currently have 5). Dan Wesson builds a fantastic production gun. My Valor is a really well made pistol. You chose well.

As far as magazines go, I like Tripp Research Cobra Mags, Chip McCormick Powermags (now owned by Wilson), and Wilson Combat (I'm not fond of the 47d though, the springs seem to loose tension quickly) for 8 rounders. Almost any 7 round magazine works well in my guns. I tend to replace the springs and followers in problematic magazines with Tripp Super 7 kits. I'd rather have an absolutely reliable 7 round magazine than an iffy 8 rounder.

I've seen reviews of Metalform and Checkmate magazines where people have had great results, but my only experience with them is as OEM magazines that just get used as range mags.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
For me it's Wilson. I have been running these like forever. Enjoy your DW. Good choice. Pickle Rick!

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I want a mag that feeds flawlessly, drops free easily, and does not push the top round forward, thus causing jams.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Asking about 1911 mags is akin to asking somebody’s religion. Smile

I like WIlson and Chip McCormick....who I think are owned by WIlson now. Ed Brown mags have been solid for me as well.

Keep in mind 1911 mags are a weak point on the 1911 and make sure you check them periodically for cracks, lip spread etc.

Also just because a certain mag is known to be top tier doesn’t automatically mean it will run reliably in YOUR gun. Make sure to buy one or two to demo if you will before settling on one and buying a bunch.

Also there are other great mags out there. The above are just my pref.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
I will add my vote for Tripp Research mags. They have been flawless in all my 1911's, both .45 and 10mm.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post