SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    DI vs gas piston in AR pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DI vs gas piston in AR pistol Login/Join 
posted
What's your setup and which do you prefer and find reliable? Any issues? I'm thinking of a 10.5" vs 7.5" build. Maybe someday an SBR but wait and see for later.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got an Adams Arms EVO on my pistol setup and like it a lot. At 7.5 inches and with a SB brace it's a fun little piece to shoot. Never had any luck on a short upper with the CMMG piston kit, I've always gone with Adams Arms. Also depends on the chambering to and the pressure of the round you're going to be using. Great this with a gas piston system is it's adjustable for all of that. DI on the other hand can be finicky once it's starts heating up.

Posts: 134 | Registered: August 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GallowayPrecision:
I've got an Adams Arms EVO on my pistol setup and like it a lot. At 7.5 inches and with a SB brace it's a fun little piece to shoot. Never had any luck on a short upper with the CMMG piston kit, I've always gone with Adams Arms. Also depends on the chambering to and the pressure of the round you're going to be using. Great this with a gas piston system is it's adjustable for all of that. DI on the other hand can be finicky once it's starts heating up.

I think the whole DI vs Piston is more preference than one being better or worse then the other, except when it comes to AR “snubbies”. Once you get below 11” inches or so it seems DI gets more persnickety.

For me the biggest benefit of piston is cleanliness. DI ARs can be a pain in the ass to get clean with all the carbon that gets dumped back to the upper, first time I cleaned my Adams Arms I was hooked. I now have three of them. 7.5” on a pistol lower with a Sig Brace, 16” mid-length, and their .308 small frame patrol rifle.

Have been happy with all three, and none have given me any issues whatsoever.

Undocumented feature on their 7.5” is the standard flame thrower feature...

image by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
All of mine are DI.
Two (bottom) are .300blk 10.5" & two (top) are 5.56, one 10.5" & one 7.5" none have given me a single issue.
Guess I didn't know I should be considering myself lucky in that.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GallowayPrecision:

quote:
I think the whole DI vs Piston is more preference than one being better or worse then the other, except when it comes to AR “snubbies”. Once you get below 11” inches or so it seems DI gets more persnickety.[QUOTE]

For me the biggest benefit of piston is cleanliness. DI ARs can be a pain in the ass to get clean with all the carbon that gets dumped back to the upper, first time I cleaned my Adams Arms I was hooked. I now have three of them. 7.5” on a pistol lower with a Sig Brace, 16” mid-length, and their .308 small frame patrol rifle.

Have been happy with all three, and none have given me any issues whatsoever.

Undocumented feature on their 7.5” is the standard flame thrower feature...

image by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr
. That is a really nice setup

Posts: 134 | Registered: August 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post