SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dry-Fire Practice With a Couple of N-Frames
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry-Fire Practice With a Couple of N-Frames Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
Recently I broke out my supply of snap-caps and did some dry-fire practice with a pair of N-Frame Smith & Wessons - a five-inch 27-2 (1978 vintage) and a “pre-28” Highway Patrolman that I believe dates to 1954. Kramer Leather also shown - a Thomas Perfectionist IWB for the 27 and a Belt Scabbard with the HP.

My preferences for carry these days are mostly 1911s or a Glock 26 at certain times; these large-frame Smiths are just in their own world. I have actually carried the 27 in the Thomas Perfectionist for a bit - that holster was designed to port larger guns, and it works. I’ll admit - the adage “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should” certainly occurs to me here ha-ha, especially with how even a steel-frame Government Model 1911 carries really well for me IWB.

Regardless, just wanted to share a few images of these wheelguns.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice pix, N-frames are great aren't they.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I love my N-Frame, 625 Smith.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

I’m still experimenting with grips on these revolvers. The 27 came with what I believe were its original stocks (as well as the presentation case, tools, etc). I bought the speedloader-cut-out stocks online as well as a Hogue Monogrip.

The pre-28 had the Bear Hug grips shown in the next pic. I admit, it was the grips that first caught my attention when I saw this gun. I tried them at the range and, though it may be heresy to wheelgun purists to admit it...they just didn’t work for me! I wound up selling them to another 27-2 owner and went with another Monogrip.

I’ve been looking at some Eagle Grips that may suit this revolver nicely.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

posted Hide Post
Great looking pair of S&W N frames.
I'm a big fan of the Highway Patrolman - especially the 4 inch variety.

Your Highway Patrolman is most definitely a first year of production gun.
The Highway Patrolman's first year of production was from 1954-1955, serial numbers S103500-139999.
The Highway Patrolman was born in April 1954 starting at SN# S103500 with 8427 produced in 1954.

Your gun, SN# S112103 is a 1955, but still a first year of production.

A letter from the Smith & Wesson Collectors Association would confirm the date of birth/production.
http://www.theswca.org/factory_letter.html

An excellent Highway Patrolman resource:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s...rame-ser-ranges.html

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful N Frames!!!
Love my 625-3 45ACP 4"!!! Especially after Sandy Garrett, North Virginia Gun Works, did a trigger job to a super smooth 8 lbs, recontoured the trigger face and removed the front sight serrations and replaced with a bright vertical line. Sorry, still no pics. Incredible fun to dry fire; better to shoot.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you get tired of the Highway Patrolman, give me a shout. I miss the one I sold!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info and links!

quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
Great looking pair of S&W N frames.
I'm a big fan of the Highway Patrolman - especially the 4 inch variety.

Your Highway Patrolman is most definitely a first year of production gun.
The Highway Patrolman's first year of production was from 1954-1955, serial numbers S103500-139999.
The Highway Patrolman was born in April 1954 starting at SN# S103500 with 8427 produced in 1954.

Your gun, SN# S112103 is a 1955, but still a first year of production.

A letter from the Smith & Wesson Collectors Association would confirm the date of birth/production.
http://www.theswca.org/factory_letter.html

An excellent Highway Patrolman resource:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s...rame-ser-ranges.html

tp

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
That sounds like THE 625-3 model that I’ve been on the lookout for, a 4-incher in .45 ACP. Is yours also marked “Model of 1989?”

quote:
Originally posted by madmatt:
Beautiful N Frames!!!
Love my 625-3 45ACP 4"!!! Especially after Sandy Garrett, North Virginia Gun Works, did a trigger job to a super smooth 8 lbs, recontoured the trigger face and removed the front sight serrations and replaced with a bright vertical line. Sorry, still no pics. Incredible fun to dry fire; better to shoot.

posted Hide Post
Save those fine Smiths with a snap-cap upgrade. Either one of these is spring-loaded, with a brass head. This provides real cushion against the hammer-nose impact. The A-Zooms are great for reload practice, but the little wad of silicon does nothing to ease the blow from the hammer....

Yes, I have bent an old-style hammer-nose from dry practice without using caps

https://www.lymanproducts.com/...pistol-revolver.html

https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-...r-pack/dp/B0048KFEQI

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best snap caps I have found are made by Freedom Arms. Expensive at 4 bucks each but they’re well made and designed.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
That sounds like THE 625-3 model that I’ve been on the lookout for, a 4-incher in .45 ACP. Is yours also marked “Model of 1989?”

Yep, "Model of 1989!" Love this 45! Incredible shooter. Greatest satisfaction outshooting Glocks and 1911s, etc...

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post