SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 -Terrible grouping question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 -Terrible grouping question Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
First off, I have never really been able to shoot one ragged hole groupings but I am really having a bad time with my new 365. Mainly low-left but with some flyers at 7yds. Even when I rest my hands on the bench it doesn't seem to help. Watched my finger placement carefully.
Shot 180 rds of Blazer Brass 115. Ammo is 6 yrs old but has been stored in heavy duty ziplock bag.

I also have noticed casing seem to be real sooted on just one side, like soot blowing back. Brass does not appear to be bulged.
I wonder if the 2 things are related.
Anybody else had this?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Blazer brass is GREAT blasting ammo, not so good for grouping.

That said low and left is almost always the nut behind the trigger. Trust me I know. Frown Wink

Now if you say you are seeing the same issues “benched”/rested if you will, maybe check the crown to see if it’s boogered up.

My money is still on itty bitty handgun shooting a fairly powerful cartridge and it will take some practice.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It's a small grip pistol. I have average sized hands. I'm partial to shooting 1911 and P320. When I first got my P365, I also shot low/left. It's a common occurance with HK for many as well.

Don't give up on it. The grip and finger placement (for me) was key. I recently put a HOGUE Beavertail grip sleeve on mine which greatly helped. I think you'll be amazed at how accurate that little pistol can be.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot with your other hand. See what happens.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Update in case anybody is interested.
Shot 60rds of Win White Box 115gr. Standing, off hand with much better grouping.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Update in case anybody is interested.
Shot 60rds of Win White Box 115gr. Standing, off hand with much better grouping.

Glad to hear it!

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
On a bad day, my P365 grouping is embarrassingly all over the place. You would think this is a piece of junk. But, on a good day, you just marvel at how this little subcompact could be so accurate. So, when you do your part, it is just amazing.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
It's a small grip pistol. I have average sized hands. I'm partial to shooting 1911 and P320. When I first got my P365, I also shot low/left. It's a common occurance with HK for many as well.

Don't give up on it. The grip and finger placement (for me) was key. I recently put a HOGUE Beavertail grip sleeve on mine which greatly helped. I think you'll be amazed at how accurate that little pistol can be.

Agreed, that Hogue grip sleeve helps on so many levels with this great little CCW pistol.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I thought that since my P320 has a medium grip module and a little slippery, that a HOGUE beavertail grip sleeve may work well with it.

I was wrong. The sleeve on a P320 makes the grip larger than a large grip module. It didn't work for me on that platform.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have stated, left or left/low with a right handed striker fired shooter is almost ALWAYS an issue with improper trigger control.

On the P365, the pistol is SO SMALL that it can be very difficult to press the trigger straight to the rear without applying lateral pressure on the trigger that will push shots to your off hand side. Experiment with using more or less finger on the face of the trigger to see if you can find the "sweet spot" that allows you to press straight to the rear without pushing the sights off target. Another "easy fix" is usually tightening your support hand grip - which counter balances some of that trigger "shove."

Also, in my experience, shooting a pistol "benched" is a waste of time, unless you have a proper rest and know how to use it. Most of us haven't spent much (or any) time practicing shooting over a bench with a pistol, so it induces all kinds of weirdness in grip, trigger press, follow through, etc.

If you think a pistol is seriously goobered up in the accuracy department, I'd suggest handing it to a person you know can shoot well, and see how it works in his/her hands. If he/she shoots it straight and tight, you know where the problem is...

Keep practicing, and best of luck!

Posts: 105 | Registered: February 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
Low and to the left is what a right hander can expect if they are not gripping the gun properly,and sqeezing the trigger smoothly and steady, jerking doesn't cut it, and low and to the right for a left hander, the gun is most likely just fine , small guns take a little more critique...and lots more range time to perfect your skill, it's all doable, just have patience and it will pay off....

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P365 shoot decent groups with all ammo except WWB. My issue was when I shot strong hand only. My practice sessions I alternate between one and two hand shooting. I shoot equal number of rounds. I'm old and shooting with one hand seems normal. I had poor groups shooting with one hand so I think the smaller gun makes trigger position and a firmer grip very important. Two hand grip was no issue with groups for me.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCfromNY:
My P365 shoot decent groups with all ammo except WWB. My issue was when I shot strong hand only. My practice sessions I alternate between one and two hand shooting. I shoot equal number of rounds. I'm old and shooting with one hand seems normal. I had poor groups shooting with one hand so I think the smaller gun makes trigger position and a firmer grip very important. Two hand grip was no issue with groups for me.

Your resoning is not wrong, I'm also an older shooter, and was use to one hand shooting, mostly revolvers, but in making the change to semi auto's several years ago, I had to make some changes to my grip , it seemed like every auto I had to be gripped differently, so it took some time to work things out to my advantage , I like to call it becoming one with my gun, where every move I make from grip, trigger pull to aiming and shooting is just one smooth motion where my mind just takes over, this does take practice, when I use to shoot in quick draw comp.years ago, we use to go through 500 rounds of 45 long colt in a days shooting, over time I became one with my gun, to where I could draw and fire and hit my target with speed, shooting an auto is different, just because they're all a little different in size and shape, I try to stay proficent with all my carry guns which takes time and lots of ammo, but it is all worth it, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experence...

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post