SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SubCompact .40
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SubCompact .40 Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
Coworker came to me today to ask what subcompact singlestack .40 I would recommend.
As I stood there and thought about it... I could only think of two.
1) shield
2) XDs

His intended use is pocket carry.
Either one of these may be a little large for pocket (depending on the size of your pockets) - especially the shield.

I didn't want to recommend the XDs considering all the crap that Springfield is in right now.

So I basically told him about both - and that he should look into the Springfield drama and form his own opinion on it.

What other SC singlestack .40s are out there?
I'm drawing a blank...

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Poking around online...

Maybe a Walther PPS

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Why limit to a single stack? The M&P 40C is dimensionally close in size to the shield and a very good shooter...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Why limit to a single stack? The M&P 40C is dimensionally close in size to the shield and a very good shooter...

Unknown - these were his requirements not mine :P

posted Hide Post
I'm sure he has some options in the Kahr pistols.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
True pocket carry really leaves the Kahr offerings and even those are marginal IMO. Semi autos almost always print in a pocket and tend to be a bitch to drawn cleanly. Pocket carry for me is JFrame or itty bitty .380 and I don't like .380. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Understood. Sometime back I had intended to pick up a 45 Shield. When I compared it to the M&P 40 Compact, I found the Compact to be shorter in the most important of places, the grip. With the two extra rounds of 40 and the sexy FDE two tone pattern of the compact, it was a no brainer Wink
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
quote:

Unknown - these were his requirements not mine :P

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the Shield. Own 2, granted in 9mm. Dont pocket carry, but easy on/easy off aiwb, disappears under a t-shirt with a spare mag on my hip. Plus the $75 rebate right now makes it a ridiculously good value, IMO.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig P239 Eek might be big for a pocket carry.... but great single stack gun

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:

The 40C is noticeably thicker. Feels better in hand to me but if will be bulkier when worn given how my 9C feels on me. Hard to believe (not really), but an even crappier trigger than Shields. Not all that close based on my own experiences.

Since I now consider the XDS a product of an evil, vile company, to me the choices would be Kahrs, PPS Classic, Bersa BP40cc, Taurus 740 and M&P Shield if your coworker acquaintance is after a polymer single-stack in 40S&W. There may be others but those are the ones that come to mind. Besides, based on my own experiences I would say that the Shield 40 would be the easier recoiling between it and the XDS (sorry, I haven't tried a Kahr in 40S&W).

As for my experiences with the rest: the Bersa is decent on recoil though as much as I have no real use for a thumb safety, the triggers on both the BP9cc and BP40cc that I tried both broke fairly light even for my Glock striker sensibilities. Early on there were occasional reports of inconsistent reliability with the Bersas. It's been a few years since I shot the PPS in 40 but from what I recall on that particular day I did not like its recoil and the trigger biting at me. The 740 is one I also haven't shot, though I have a 709 that according to the internet at the time that I bought it in 2010ish should not be as dead-on reliable as it is.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Kahr MK40 or PM40. Sold my PM40 that I got in a trade to a Postal Investigator and he was thrilled to have it and use it as a back up.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:

The 40C is noticeably thicker. Feels better in hand to me but if will be bulkier when worn given how my 9C feels on me. Hard to believe (not really), but an even crappier trigger than Shields. Not all that close based on my own experiences.

Since I now consider the XDS a product of an evil, vile company, to me the choices would be Kahrs, PPS Classic, Bersa BP40cc, Taurus 740 and M&P Shield if your coworker acquaintance is after a polymer single-stack in 40S&W. There may be others but those are the ones that come to mind. Besides, based on my own experiences I would say that the Shield 40 would be the easier recoiling between it and the XDS (sorry, I haven't tried a Kahr in 40S&W).

As for my experiences with the rest: the Bersa is decent on recoil though as much as I have no real use for a thumb safety, the triggers on both the BP9cc and BP40cc that I tried both broke fairly light even for my Glock striker sensibilities. Early on there were occasional reports of inconsistent reliability with the Bersas. It's been a few years since I shot the PPS in 40 but from what I recall on that particular day I did not like its recoil and the trigger biting at me. The 740 is one I also haven't shot, though I have a 709 that according to the internet at the time that I bought it in 2010ish should not be as dead-on reliable as it is.

Not sure I could recommend a Taurus for my friend to buy as protection firearm... maybe if you only have $200 it beats nothing, but I've heard too many horror stories about Taurus to carry as a reliable protection weapon... at this point you can damn near buy a shield at the Taurus price point with the rebate so I'd get a shield anyday over a 740, but I guess it's all preference. If you find a 740 that you shoot well and feels good in your hand + reliable then go for that....

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd advise a 9 mm in that size anything. Especially if he is not an experienced shooter. I've seen students in our Basic Pistol class struggle with small forties. Even observed one put his second round from a Glock G27 into the range ceiling.

I'm a .40 fan...in my P239, P226, P229 and P320...

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry a Shield 40 and think its great for what it is. It is small enough to tote in your pocket but fills your hand and unlike insanely small pocket guns doesn't beat your palm up. It takes some fullsize parts and they make aftermarket parts for the ones that you'd want to change. If your friend qualifies for the current discount I cant even imagine a better gun at the $204 price range. The only other thing I can think of in any range is a Walther PPS or the Kahr MK or k40. My shield 40 is also 100% reliable and accurate for what it is.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The compact M&P 2.0 is certain to be out soon. Doublestack though.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I showed him this thread and after reading through it he's gonna go check out the shield.

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Another shout out for the M&P40C. It is a great carry gun. Mine disappears in an OWB holster under an un-tucked shirt. A big plus is that it shoots like a larger gun, which is helpful with the 40. And maybe I'm just lucky, but mine has a very good trigger for a carry gun.

I did try a Kahr CW40 for a while, but there is no comparison when actually shooting both guns.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I own the M1 PPS 40 cal., it is snappy, what little I have shot it, and holds 1 less round than my 9mm M1.

However....after installing the DPM Recoil System in the 40 cal PPS, recoil got reduced to me, a little bit lower than the 9mm version. And installed in the 9mm, the DPM System is like a 9x18 Makarov, the system in any pistol its available for is worth it.

I just ordered the DPM system for my SP2022 357 Sig.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I kept the medium grip panels installed on both my 40C & 9C. I'm finding the ergo's and size to make a comfortable balance and my finger motions perfectly from the frame index point to pad with the trigger. I'm really liking it in 40 as well.
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Another shout out for the M&P40C. It is a great carry gun. Mine disappears in an OWB holster under an un-tucked shirt. A big plus is that it shoots like a larger gun, which is helpful with the 40. And maybe I'm just lucky, but mine has a very good trigger for a carry gun.

I did try a Kahr CW40 for a while, but there is no comparison when actually shooting both guns.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I like these subcompacts, but does anyone really pocket carry them??? The largest pistol I'm likely to carry in that fashion is my Ruger LCP!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post