SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    9mm+P ammo in my SIG's?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm+P ammo in my SIG's? Login/Join 
posted
Is there any concern with using 9mm+P or 9mm+P+ ammo in my SIG's?
Also in conjunction with heavier bullets (eg 125 or 147 grain)?
For use in P239, M11A1, and P250C.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:

+P is fine. But +P+ is never recommended by SIG.

https://www.sigsauer.com/support/faqs/

Can I use +P or +P+?
+P Ammo manufactured to SAAMI/CIP/NATO specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use. Continual use of this round will make it necessary for more frequent service on the pistol. We do NOT recommend the use of any +P+ round. This may void your warranty.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are there any modern pistols that aren't designed for +p?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nearly all modern pistols will handle +P loads. I say "nearly" only because there are probably some out there I am not familiar with, especially on very small light handguns. Manufacturers will not recommend +P+ for the simple reason that there are no official SAAMI standards for that designation. In other words, no measurement standards for the pressure generated.

Having said that, I am not averse to using name brand quality +P+ in loads I feel may benefit from the extra velocity. My Gen4 G19, G34 and P239 use Federal 9mm 115gr +P+ (9BPLE). This is an old LEA round that has helped plant a number of perps over about 25 years. Mas Ayoob highly recommends it, although it is not of the modern bonded core family. Given the longevity and widespread use of the load, I doubt any LEO pistols were blowing up or disintegrating during the time it was in widespread use.

Obviously, higher pressure loads of any type will create more wear on any pistol. Prudence dictates that you don't use +P or +P+ for weekly 200 round practice sessions. The gun ain't gonna blow up, but why beat it up for no good reason. There's not a big difference in recoil between standard and +P pressure loads anyway. Use the standard loads for most of your practice.

The 9mm +P+ loads referenced above have more recoil than standard 9mm. About the same as a standard pressure .40 S&W. Doesn't bother me though, since I have shot/carried .40's for over 20 years.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The only gun maker I'm aware of that welcome the use of +P+ ammo in their guns is Ruger. We don't call them Ruger pistols tanks for no reasons. Cool

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The only gun maker I'm aware of that welcome the use of +P+ ammo in their guns is Ruger. We don't call them Ruger pistols tanks for no reasons. Cool

HK also did in the USP series in the owners manual. HK45 also but I don't know if there is any +P+ .45 ammo.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:

No problem. However using a lot of +P can cause parts to wear out faster and you might want to change recoil spring more often than recommended interval which normally is 5000 rounds for classic P series SIG pistols. I believe it is advised not to use +P in earlier P220s before around 1995 update but that is not on your list.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

HK also did in the USP series in the owners manual. HK45 also but I don't know if there is any +P+ .45 ammo.

I thought about the USP, also, but haven't owned one for several years, now. Yeah, loved those blocky USPs, except for their triggers.

Q

posted Hide Post
If +P+ wears out my Rugers sooner then so be it. I will never be confused with any marksman/sharp shooter so combat accuracy is fine with me.

I have multiple built like a tank Ruger hand guns that will outlast me. What my son does with them will not be of my concern after I am gone.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How do people feel about +P+ in a non-converted P229-9mm? This platform was designed with the harder-hitting .40 and .357SIG. Should shrug off the additional stress.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about +P+ in an MPX?
The 8" pistol barrel is just calling for Federal BPLE. Should get to 1400 - 1450 fps.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
There´s a lot of talk about such issues. Infact there is no negative feedback except worries. Worries does not mean anything so I would assume it works safely. It sells, so there is more worries then demage.

However what I´m assuming is irrelevant. If I´m using off spec ammunition I would try to get a hold on its pressure curve and have it compared with the standard. Then I know what I´m dealing with. If it´s not available, I pass.

If I want to have a 9mm on stereoides, I´ll go .357 Mag.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In +P, which has a SAAMI standard (+P+ does not) and for which the gun is rated and warranted, I believe you'd have to shoot an amount equal to several times the cost of the gun to wear it out.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Duke, I've owned my share of SIGs, been to multiple SIG armorers classes,etc. I would have no concern in using +P in SIG pistols....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Is there a general rule of thumb as to how much more powerful a +P round is over a standard round?

Thinking of 9mm..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn’t the Mark 23 designed for +P+ 45 ammo? I thought I read somewhere that the military had some super hot ammo for that thing.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LVJD:
Wasn’t the Mark 23 designed for +P+ 45 ammo...

Well, it's a fancied up USP. So, yes.

Q

posted Hide Post
+P+ has no standard pressure that all abide by, so take your chances. Perhaps I'm totally wrong, but I'll stick to the SAAMI stuff.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Just wrung out a Ruger American Compact 9mm with over 400 rounds of some hot +P ammo. Handled it with ease. Felt weird shooting the G19 with standard rounds afterwards.. Can’t say Enough about the RACP. The kalashnikov of pistols- tough gun!

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am fairly sure The Mark23 was designed with Tomahawk missiles in mind. Smile.

I wouldn’t mind running 9BPLE+P+ as it was pretty much designed for law enforcement by a major ammo manufacturer. I wouldn’t run it all day every day but as a defensive ammo I would be ok with it.

SIGs are made for +P /NATO. It will accelerate wear and tear.

Don’t run any unknown/unproven ammo of any kind.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post