SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .44 Magnum Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44 Magnum Question Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,
i have never owned one, but fired one a long time ago. I remember it being not too much fun but not painful. I feel like i should own one but i like to shoot my stuff. I have a lead on a really cool 3" 629 and love the way it looks. I know i can shoot .44 specials, but i am wondering what folks do with their .44 mags ?? They certainly can't be plinkers. Anyone have any thoughts ??
Thanks

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple of 29's for years, but can't tell you the last time I fired a magnum load. I am a reloader and everything is loaded down to special territory. Full magnums are no fun and hard on the gun.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Last year, I bought a 629 V-Comp, thinking I had to have a 44 magnum. I traded it a few months later. The magnum rounds were uncomfortable to shoot even with the added comp. I like to shoot my guns, and could see that wouldn't be happening much with this one.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The heavy 44 Mag pistols are okay to shoot. It’s those light frame ones that beat you to death. Magnum rounds need a good heavy frame to tame the recoil.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've owned three or four S&W 29's and 629's over the years. One was a 4" tapered barrel without the underlug (i.e., Mountain Gun). Brutal is the best way to describe it when using full boat magnum loads. With specials it was great. The 6" full underlug model was a different animal; still a handful with magnum loads, but still fun to shoot. My dad has a 7 1/2" Redhawk. It tames the magnum loads better than any version of 29, but it's noticeably muzzle heavy too. A friend has a 5 1/2" Redhawk and it's probably the best compromise between recoil management and handling that I've shot.

It's also a little surprising, the first time you try one, how stout a .44 Magnum load is in a lever gun. It'll step smartly to the rear and let you know it's there, for sure.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I had a Winchester 94ae in 44 mag. If you want to shoot with that cartridge but recoil is a concern, I think you should try 94 in 44. It was very comfortable and I like the action of manually cycling. I should never have sold it

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
Hi all,
i have never owned one, but fired one a long time ago. I remember it being not too much fun but not painful. I feel like i should own one but i like to shoot my stuff. I have a lead on a really cool 3" 629 and love the way it looks. I know i can shoot .44 specials, but i am wondering what folks do with their .44 mags ?? They certainly can't be plinkers. Anyone have any thoughts ??
Thanks

If you have no need for a .44 magnum, I would recommend a .357 magnum. Those ARE fun to shoot. Whether you want to shoot .357 magnums, 38 +p's or just .38's you can find something you enjoy. Plus ammunition is much cheaper.

I really love my 6" model 19, but a friend of mine has a ruger 5.5 Blackhawk convertible with the 9mm cylinder and 9mm is actually a really fun round in that gun. More recoil than .38 +P but less than .357 and cheap. POA was different but easy to compensate for it at the range.

But, find a range and rent a .44 mag one day and buy a box of .44 mag and .44 specials and see if you like it first.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Fall out of love, or ego involvement, with the term "Magnum". Find a nice S&W Model 24-3 or 24-6 (has the lock, but that's another story), or a model 624 (stainless version). These all have the tapered barrels and are chambered in .44 S&W Special. You can thank me later...

Here's the 3" version with Culina Bubble Maple stocks (A Lew Horton Distributor Special). The 4" guns are rarer, but may be less expensive.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if you NEVER have use for full powered loads, a 357 is fine. Though I think the 357 wheel gun covers a lot of bases, still have room for the next larger bores.

I have the 44 & 41 mag, then a few Ruger 45 Colts. As a reloader, most of my loads are fairly mild. I have carried my 45 Colt Redhawk a few times helping with a black bear hunt. I’ll take full power hard cast for that.

Regardless, one could always buy 44 ‘cowboy action’ loads, if not a reloader. For the most part, a 44 mag can be a little heavy for extended carry.

We’ve heard the adage of the, ‘man with one gun’. Many of us buy something to scratch an itch, nothing wrong with that.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure they can be plinkers!
Need to reload to make it economical.
It's a hoot to hear that big lead slug wack steel plates in the desert.

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
The best choice that I ever made , for Doe hunting was my S&W Mod.29-2 ( pinned and recessed) I get well within 50 yds. of doe , when shopping for them.(sage in my pockets)
I bagged one lowly 4 pointer...Lil' buck 65 yd shot. ( only saw his neck and knot top)When I put my pork chop sandwich down... he was still there, so I gambled, and took the shot.
I have always handloaded & reloaded .44 mag. Since 1986.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 182 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You can find fun anywhere you look. Buy the 329, the one made out of really light scandium metal. Then look for some of the Hornady 300gr wrist killer loads. Then let some loudmouth try it out. He'll stop bragging about his ability to handle recoil. If you're stupid and shoot it with that loading yourself, it'll cure you.

On the up side...its made a whole bunch of lightly used 29s available cheap.

The problem with Winny 94s in 44 is that they often don't feed reliably. Better to look for a M92 that was designed for a short cartridge. Browning makes a peach.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all input. I would say it confirms my initial thoughts. For the record, I have several .357's which are fun in both .38 and . 357 with the right load.
I am going to rethink this thing

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Are bears a part of your life (or a real threat to it)?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger Redhawk in 44 magnum. I often shoot 44 special at the range since it is more comfortable. The recoil is not bad with the 7 and a half inch barrel. It is a heavy gun. It really smacks those steel plates.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I prefer my 44s in a Desert Eagle. J.P. Sauer and Sohn makes a really good revolver also.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
With the .44Mag. weight is your friend.

I shoot Dan Wesson large frame revolvers, 44.Mag. and 445 SuperMag.
The barrel is easily changed along with the barrel shroud. I have barrel/shroud combos from 2"-10".
The shrouds come in a regular contour and a heavy contour.
The barrel is tightened with a nut from the front, this puts a torque on the barrel and helps with harmonics.
The Dan Wesson is a favorite with the IHMSA crowd who shoot them from 25yrds to 200 meters. A IHMSA match requires a minimum of 40 rounds.No Cup cake loads here. Putting 70# steel targets down at 200 meters requires a max. load. Brutal recoil would not be tolerated by competitors shooting Big Bore class. The Dan Wesson's are built like tanks.

I usually shoot with the 8" barrel and heavy shroud installed. I find this combo to be very tolerable even with heavy 44mag. loads.

Dan Wesson no longer makes the 44mag.but still make the 357 mag. revolvers.
You can find a used 44mag. easily. Barrel assemblies and other parts are still available as is service from Dan Wesson and after market suppliers.

If you want to go with a .44 mag you can't go wrong with the Dan Wesson.
Thats my pitch.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I shoot mine!!! I have several .44 Magnums;

Scoped, 9.5" Ruger Super Redhawk
Non-scoped, 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk
Scoped, 14" T/C Contender.

I love the .44 Magnum!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I carried a .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4.5/8 barrel, My full power load was Underwood. To shoot a Magnum load in practice at the range, I used the Remington HTP 240gr SJHP. It had a lower velocity of 1180 FPS. Shot to the same POI as the stronger stuff and gave you the desired Magnum boom. Stock number is RTP44MG3.
It aint cheap, though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The big Rugers (Redhawk, Blackhawk) are great shooters, but nothing beats a Desert Eagle in 44. Big, heavy and the gas system reduces the recoil. Now the DE in 50 is another stroy...

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 20, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post