SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question about TDA Half Cock hammer position for carry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about TDA Half Cock hammer position for carry Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I read on the almighty internet that one should not carry the Ber 92 in the half cock position, because the half cock position was designed for the purpose of safety, and that if you carried it at half cock, you could break the sear or something if the pistol suffered an impact on the hammer. But all this time I thought the purpose of it was to reduce the take up and trigger reach for the first DA shot, and is always how I've carried all TDA semis, on half cock. I can understand that, but, if I'm not rock climbing or wrestling with terrorists, is there anything wrong with carrying a TDA pistol like that. Personally I don't care if I break a sear, unless of course it gets broken before the first shot. On the other hand, I'm not in a profession that requires it.

So what do you think, and how do you carry your TDA pistols ? Hammer at complete rest, or hammer at half cock ? Some TDA guns can be carried cocked and locked, like some CZ guns, but that's not part of my question here.

Any education and advice appreciated from the SigForum brain trust.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't carry my 92, but I do keep it at the ready as a HD gun, decocked with the safety off.

I can't say one way or the other if carrying it with the hammer at half-cock is bad, but the consensus I've seen from those with more knowledge and experience than me is that it's not a good idea.

FWIW, the reason I've seen some people recommend carrying a 92 at half-cock is that, when carrying with the safety off, it prevents the safety from accidentally becoming engaged while carrying.

Sorry I couldn't be much help. Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I'll need to test that on my 92. Never thought of that.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh? All TDA pistols are designed to carry fully decocked. Any thing else is just silly IMO. Of course some designs allow other options but those are not applicable here.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Whatever position the decocker puts the hammer in.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Not all decockers decock to a fully released hammer position. For example CZ and HK pistols decock to a sort of halfcock position but if you pull the trigger on an empty chamber or a dud round you will be at full decock.

That being said I don't have the knowledge to say you should or shouldn't carry X firearm in Y decock status. I will say I carry at the stock decock status. (Half cock for CZ/HK for example). I will say in most cases I decock, I also lower the hammer softly with another finger(s) just to be safe and save wear and tear.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Beretta 92/96 with decocker is designed to be carried decocked, safety engaged. Why attempt to reinvent the wheel?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Huh? All TDA pistols are designed to carry fully decocked. Any thing else is just silly IMO. Of course some designs allow other options but those are not applicable here.

Actually, SIG TDA pistols and DAK pistols are carried in what is technically a partially cocked position. in the TDA pistols the hammer rebound spring rebounds the hammer until the sear catches is the safety intercept notch, a notch on the hammer that keeps the hammer from falling completely to contact with the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled fully to the rear and the sear is tripped.

given that the beretta is just fine fully decocked

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The Beretta 92/96 with decocker is designed to be carried decocked, safety engaged.

or safety off, or just decocked in the case of the 92G or 96G

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The Beretta 92/96 with decocker is designed to be carried decocked, safety engaged.

or safety off, or just decocked in the case of the 92G or 96G

Depending on the variant, yes. What it's not designed to be is carried half cocked.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:

This is the only logical answer.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See page 9 (bottom) of the Owners Manual (p5 of the PDF):

"Note: Some models are equipped with hammer half cock position. It is not recommended to carry the hammer half-cocked. This device is intended as an accidental discharge preventive hammer drop catch."

In other words, not a good idea.

http://www.berettausa.com/asse...FS_Series_Manual.pdf

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My question would be why would you want to?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:

This is the only logical answer.

I won't do any decocking that requires me putting my finger on the trigger to initiate. That is why pistols have decockers.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Not all decockers decock to a fully released hammer position. For example CZ and HK pistols decock to a sort of halfcock position but if you pull the trigger on an empty chamber or a dud round you will be at full decoc

HK does not have a half cock position from what I can tell. On my HKs you can barely tell the hammer is all the way down or not after decocking.

Hammer all the way down.

Decocked by decocker lever.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
This is why god invented D-springs.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my jericho 941 i carry it locked on the half cock. This reduces the trigger pull by almost 1/2 the distance. Though reading this all posted above it may not be the best for it.

Sigs, hk, other cz guns all rest where the decocker puts it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post