SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which is better or at least comparable for pocket carry. The 238 or 938?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is better or at least comparable for pocket carry. The 238 or 938? Login/Join 
Fear No Beer
Picture of K9346
posted
I'd prefer the 938 for obvious caliber concerns but is it too big compared to the 238 for pocket carry? All advice welcome

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Back in Ok, finally | Registered: September 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K9346:
I'd prefer the 938 for obvious caliber concerns but is it too big compared to the 238 for pocket carry? All advice welcome

It can be done but it depends on what kind of pants you wear. If you were tight jeans it will be tough. If you wear lose cargo shorts it should be fine. I personally prefer something I can just throw in a pocket that isn't SAO with a safety. I usually pocket carry Scandium J-frame.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of manac
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry a P938. Works well in most shorts and pants. Borrowed a P238 for my wife to try and there wasn't much difference between the two.

Posts: 18 | Location: NH | Registered: November 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P938 isn't significantly bigger than the P238. I carry it in a pocket holster in all kinds of pants. Great little 9 mm.

Posts: 121 | Location: Ohio | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I too pocket Cary a 938 in a holster. I had a .380 body guard prior which is similar in size to a 238. The marginal size difference between a 238 and a 938 is offset in my opinion by the slight increase in firepower between the 2.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
938 in a DeSantis Nemesis holster in regular jeans, conceals well in the front pocket.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I own both and choose to pocket carry the 938 in a SIG holster, when wearing gym shorts or sweatpants. The main reason is, as you stated, 9mm vs .380.

There is not that great a size or weight difference between the two, in my opinion.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the P938 just a little too big. P238 is great. It's no LCP or LCP II, but better to shoot.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I prefer the 938, in a secure pocket holster. Our own Ryan Grizzle makes a nice model which holds the SA thumb safety in position.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I've had both. Pocket carry? P238

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
The 238 is a little smaller and lighter but I can pocket carry the 938 with haggis pants or shorts with big pockets. Much easier still with winter clothes and untucked shirts.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
For my body size (5'8", 180 lbs, slight paunch at the waistline) the 238 is sized just about spot on for both jeans/slacks pocket carry and ease of handling, better all around IMHO than thinner polymers like the LCP/LCPII, Bodyguards, Kahr 380 and all of the rest of the micro 380s. In my DeSantis Superfly it fits snug enough that the rig doesn't shift around yet still provides adequate spacing to access and quickly draw the firearm.

While I can pocket a holstered 938 as well (or my G43 for that matter), it's just larger enough to be more challenging to smoothly and quickly draw should the need arise. Similar issue with the Glock as well. I'd have to upsize the front pockets of all of my pants in order accommodate the same kind of spacing that my 238 setup provides. To go through that kind of trouble I'd rather choose to IWB carry a 938 first.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I really like the Hogue finger groove grips on my 938 for better control of the 9mm recoil so I IWB carry it because of the added girth. The 238 is strictly pocket carry. I carry both depending on the situation and what I'm wearing.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry my P938 in cargo pants pockets. It will also fit in the pocket of a blazer or suit jacket. In all cases I use a pocket holster which covers the safety. I have also occasionally pocket carried my wife's P238. IMHO there is not much difference between the two.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post