SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Disappointing trip to the range with my G26***Update: All is well***
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappointing trip to the range with my G26***Update: All is well*** Login/Join 
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted
3/13/2017 Update: All is well

Took my new G26 Gen 4 to the range today and had a disappointing time. Full disclosure: I took it straight out of the box without cleaning or lubing it. Ammo was 115 gr Prvi Partizan JHP. Most issues were failures to feed where the round would jam into the top of the chamber. I would guess that it happened about 15 times, mainly when my girlfriend, who is new to the sport, was shooting although it did occur once or twice when I was shooting. The pistol also had a few failures to extract. I feel as though these issues may be attributable to my girlfriend limp wristing (it repeated the FTFeed when I intentionally held it loosely) but it also happened once when I had a firm grip. I fully intend to clean it and put more rounds through it to loosen up the springs before I get too worried, but I've never had these issues with my previous Glocks or any other pistol for that matter. Anyone else have these break-in issues?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spiff_P239,

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
of course the obvious answer is clean, lube, and try a different ammo brand next time out. Any issues after that and it might need a trip back to HQ.

Posts: 143 | Registered: August 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Clean/lube and try 124gr. No limp wristing!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I would try different ammo.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've ran almost every Glock I've owned straight to the range after buying it. Never had an issue.
Yes, it should probably be cleaned and oiled and I do it for every other pistol but the Glock doesn't seem to mind.
Check your ammunition, buy some different type and strong grip with your primary hand.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought some Privi Partisan 10MM awhile back because it was cheap.
Cheap was the operative term.
Underpowered. Dirty.
I would try another ammo brand.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Underpowered. Dirty.

It has worked just fine in my G19 but you're absolutely right that it's extremely dirty. I will definitely try some different ammo.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try running 100 rounds of defensive ammo through it. Should loosen things up a little. Also just about ALL polymer guns will jam if you limp wrist them.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I keep hearing about limp wristing but in s defensive situation wouldn't there be a chance of not having optimum purchase on the pistol?

I have tried nearly every pistol I have owned and can't manufacture a imp wrist malfunction. If a 9 mm pistol is susceptible to limp wristing, there is something wrong with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I keep hearing about limp wristing but in s defensive situation wouldn't there be a chance of not having optimum purchase on the pistol?

I have tried nearly every pistol I have owned and can't manufacture a imp wrist malfunction. If a 9 mm pistol is susceptible to limp wristing, there is something wrong with it.

I would think the opposite in the defensive situation...I imagine one would probably be white-knuckling the pistol.

If there is an issue with grip/etc., that's why malfunction clearance drills are important.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

I would think the opposite in the defensive situation...I imagine one would probably be white-knuckling the pistol.

If there is an issue with grip/etc., that's why malfunction clearance drills are important.

Unless you have to shoot one-handed, or with your weak hand.

Having said that I have seen two people stove pipe my G19. I cant reproduce the malfunction.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think some people not only limp-wrist, but "give" during recoil, as if catching a heavy thrown object. This may be why some folks can induce malfunctions with otherwise reliable pistols.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seen this issue before and not just with Glock, a lot of people that are new to handguns don't use a proper grip and that induces malfunctions. I have helped a lot of people new to handguns with this issue and I notice to be more prominent with woman, my sister in law would make a G42 malfunction constantly no matter what ammo she was using but I wouldn't experience any malfunctions. I also seen my brother induce malfunctions with his Glock because of his grip and a friend of mine made a S&W M&P 9mm malfunctions several times due to his grip and in all of these cases all handguns were very well maintained and also using good quality ammo. With that said I would also clean the G26 and lube it jus to rule out that and if the issue persist give Glock a call.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree with the two prior posts as being strong possibilities. My gut tells me there is more to it than simply holding the pistol with a wimpy grip.

I've never had malfunctions that could be attributed to grip. As a matter of fact, I do the "two finger" grip test with all my new pistols. Grip pistol with thumb and middle finger.

I'll also test with my standard one-hand grip. However, I'll rotate the gun 360 degrees, shooting from each 90 degree rotation. Starting with the gun in it's normal shooting location.

Never had any malfunctions with the above procedure. Glocks, Sig DA/SA, 1911's. I've been shooting for 50 years and instruct, so any kinks I may have had have been worked out decades ago. Still, it's interesting how some shooters can inexplicably induce malfunctions. Dunno...

Finally, some guns require a little break-in, contrary to what some folks think. My P320 FS .40 had some failures-to-feed when it was brand new. Didn't get excited. Problem disappeared after about 300-400 rounds. Poof... Utterly reliable now.

Interestingly, I have had one instance where my G34 consistently jammed. I was teaching a class and demoed a real tight retention position. Gun held very low and canted so slide would not touch body. Wrist was firm, but bent due to position. I was using normally 100% reliable lower velocity reloads. Could do it on demand. Curious, so I tested it again later in the week. Discovered it would occur ONLY with those lower power reload. When I use factory ball or SD ammo there was no problem. No doubt due to lack of resistance for slide to work against with the under powered loads.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Limp wristing" malfunctions are a myth, an old wives tale that just wont die.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Underpowered. Dirty.

It has worked just fine in my G19 but you're absolutely right that it's extremely dirty. I will definitely try some different ammo.

A no-doubt well broken in G16 that's lubed and with a recoil spring lighter than what would be in a G26.

New, dry, G26 with heavier recoil spring and weak ammo...makes sense it would have some issues.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had two stovepipes in my ten year-old G-26 the other day, first I can remember after 1500 rds. I lowered my standards and fired a box of - cue ominous music - Blazer aluminum.

What's odd is just before that I fired 50 Blazers thru my five year-old Gen 4 G-19 using the same mags, no issues at all. I fired the same course with both guns, each gun got 5 rds strong hand only and 5 rounds week hand only.

It was good practice clearing the malfunctions, but I'd rather keep shooting.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
That's not entirely true.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

I found out many years ago that there was a technique to limp wristing a pistol when my (at the time) 10 year old Son couldn't fire more than 4 or 5 rounds without a malfunction through any of my Glock Pistols.
I could hold the pistols as loose as possible and couldn't make them malfunction.
This is a pretty good Video that explains what's going on.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqtz2asE4

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a random question: are you 100% you're using Glock factory mags and not Korean / Chinese mags?

==================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post