SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carry with round in chamber or wait and rack. Which camp are you in? *Warning*: graphic
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Carry with round in chamber or wait and rack. Which camp are you in? *Warning*: graphic Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry condition 0 on striker fired guns and condition 1 on hammers.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I have always carried condition 1, regardless of the gun's operating system. Watching a lot of this guy's posted videos only reinforces my thinking. When real shit happens, and it will happen when you least expect it, it can happen so fast that each fraction of a second extra that you have to use to put your gun to firing mode could cost you your life.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:

Why?

If you do not feel comfortable carrying with a chambered round on strikers, why not only carry hammer guns or carry revolvers?

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Report This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Condition 0 is a zero in my book. Why even carry at all. If someone is too afraid to carry with a loaded chamber in XYZ gun they shouldn't own XYZ gun.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as an unloaded firearm.

To count on such is to gamble with your life, especially if you're carrying that weapon with the intent to defend your life.

If you're not prepared to fight, leave the weapon home and hide.

It's loaded chambered. Period.

The only exception are circumstances under which chambering is prohibited...such as on a military base in a combat zone...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Condition 0 is a zero in my book. Why even carry at all. If someone is too afraid to carry with a loaded chamber in XYZ gun they shouldn't own XYZ gun.

Yep. Every defensive pistol or long gun I own is chambered at all times. Long guns have safeties on.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:

I don't think we're on the same page as to what these "conditions" are. Jeff Cooper's "conditions," which are what I think of when I read it, only apply to single-action, hammer-fired pistols like the 1911, not to strikers at all.

I will not carry any gun on my person for self defense with an empty chamber. AFAIC, an unloaded gun is nothing more than a club, and not a very good one at that.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
There is no such thing as an unloaded firearm.

What??

Most of us may choose to keep ours in a loaded condition, but I can assure you that your statement is demonstrably untrue.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
If you aren't competent enough to carry a firearm loaded and ready to engage a target, you don't have any business carrying a firearm in the first place. You need more training. That video alone should be enough to convince someone of that.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I prefer condition 42Ae Brown myself.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I don't think we're on the same page as to what these "conditions" are. Jeff Cooper's "conditions," which are what I think of when I read it, only apply to single-action, hammer-fired pistols like the 1911, not to strikers at all.

Of course. His “Condition 1” was cocked and more or less “locked,” i.e., the safety was engaged. “Condition 0” which I don’t recall his using much originally when the whole condition thing was dreamed up was cocked with safety off, and not acceptable for carry at all. Moreover, if a gun doesn’t have a safety to engage or leave disengaged, referring to Coopers “conditions” is meaningless.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would never consider carrying a handgun without a round in the chamber. If you feel that uncomfortable you either need more training or should not be carrying the handgun at all. I know it is the standard in Israel for police and military many times to carry without a round in the chamber and maybe it works for them since they seem to do everything well but anywhere else carried on condition 1 is the standard worldwide.

If one feels uncomfortable carrying a loaded striker fire pistol, then simply get a hammer fired double-action single-action pistol to carry. Some people do have safeties on their pistols and you can carry it with the safety on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Long guns have safeties on.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Gotta love wheelguns in this scenario. Just pull & play.

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Revolvers should only be carried in condition Fife. Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
I know it is the standard in Israel ....

It’s been reported many times by knowledgeable people that that is no longer true.

The reason for the “Israeli method” of chamber empty carry when the country was fighting to establish itself was because of the welter of different types of guns they were using and the poor state of training and experience of the many volunteer fighters. Furthermore, civilian defensive and military combat use of the handgun are usually far different. The standard US military 1911 holster even had a full coverage flap to protect the weapon and that was acceptable because handguns are almost always backup weapons for military personnel. If they must be used, chambering a round in the process is very seldom a problem. Israeli army policies of 70 years ago—or even today—are of little relevance to carrying a handgun for defense against attacks in civilian settings here.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I always have mine in condition 1. My vehicle gun is my 320C in 45 and is loaded at all times.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Report This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Never carried a handgun that wasn't ready to go. There's little time to present and acquire target much less anything else. That's why we don't carry a weapon that we can't operate either, know your weapon and keep it loaded. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Report This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I carry it loaded, chambered, ready to fire.

I don't want to add an additional, unnecessary step to open my parachute.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I carry it loaded, chambered, ready to fire.

I don't want to add an additional, unnecessary step to open my parachute.

Yes, always.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post