Find
Notify
Tools

9mm duty gun Login/Join 
Picture of Angel King
posted
Which one would you carry?

Question:
Let me know why you chose one over the other.

Choices:
Glock 17 Gen5
M&P 2.0

An eagle does not capture flies.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glock, because I currently shoot and carry Glocks. And I'd probably take a G45 over a G17.

But the M&P 2.0 would be fine as well if that was the only option. I just don't shoot M&Ps often and prefer Glock, just because.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M&P simply because Glock are too much recoil for my older hands with tendernitis. In addition unless I have an extremely strong grip, Glocks jam on me but not my M&P.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do they have to stay completely stock? Or can you add a few things?

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Glocks bite my middle finger behind the trigger guard and I just can't get used to them.
Love my M&Ps
But I carry a Kimber 45!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Glock 17 no doubt. It’s a Glock world.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personal preference.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8766 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Glock 17, my EDC is a Glock 19 so I would want the 17 for my duty gun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I carry a G17.4 and score marksman with it. I’m sure the M&P’s are also excellent guns (and made in the USA). Both would serve you well (as would a VP9 and a P320). Find one that fits you best...

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Looks like a 17 is the way to go.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
Looks that way.

I'm thinking MOS with front serrations with Truglo TFX PRO sights.

No red dot though.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The M&P's are good guns, I've owned a few, but I just prefer the Glocks for my own use.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really comes down to if the Glock angle works for you. If it doesn't, M&P.

For me, I would only carry a Glock if I was being paid to and it was mandated. The M&P doesn't excite me either, though I haven't had a chance to shoot a 2.0 and hear they're noticeably better than the first gen.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The M&P 2.0 Compact is dangerously close to replacing my P226 as my duty gun, and gets a fair amount of off-duty carry presently.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
P226, I know it wasn't an option, but it should be.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

^^^ What he said.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Duty gun? Exposed holster (and yes, I know it would likely be a retention holster)? M&P 2.0 with a manual safety. I'd drill disengaging the safety into the deepest recesses of my brain. Some who might grab the gun probably wouldn't think of it. There are a number of LEO who haven't been shot by their own gun, because it had a manual safety.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

It's a great gun, but too heavy. That's why I gave up my Beretta 92 Brigadier. I felt the difference after 12 hour shifts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angel King:
Looks that way.

I'm thinking MOS with front serrations with Truglo TFX PRO sights.

No red dot though.

I have a G19 Gen 5 MOS and it's simply outstanding stock out of the box. I owned a G19 Gen 3 in the past and it just didn't fit my hand very well. It was too blocky and while it shot well it beat the crap out of my thumb joint around the backstrap area. No such issues with the Gen 5, extremely comfortable to shoot with low felt recoil.

Posts: 351 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Hard choice but since I shoot about the same with both I'd prefer the M&P just out of personal preference.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post