SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    changing my two-handed grip, need advice with problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

changing my two-handed grip, need advice with problem Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I have changed my two hand grip on semi pistols to the "modern" version - with both thumbs forward. Problem is, when I shot my p220 with this new method, all four of my mags were failing to lock the slide open. I was thinking I needed a repair or some tweaking, until I read about the same thing happening to people who shoot the p220, with the cause being that with the shooting hand thumb up on the side of the gun, the thumb is accidentally putting some pressure on the slide release lever, causing slide lock on last shot failure.

So the last time I went, I changed my grip back to something I'd used before, even though I prefer the "new" method. So now my problem is, it doesn't look like I can "standardize" my grip on semi pistols using this "new" method, depending on the layout of the slide lock controls.

Have you run into this problem, and how did you work around it ?

Any advice appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
It’s a fairly common issue with p series guns and probably a large part of the reason why you don’t see a ton of them in competition circles. I started shooting uspsa with a p228 and had the same problem. I no longer own any Sigs because they aren’t compatible with my grip. I do think this is influenced by hand size and *how* you grip the gun, but as my grip has evolved I cannot shoot classic sigs or cz tac sports without (different) grip related issues.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spider monkey! Like the quote in his signature.

I have the same problem as well with my new Sig P229. I adopted the grip I’m using from watching John Lovell and was just telling my dad about this issue. Looks like I see why the Legion model has a smaller slide release to help alleviate some of this.

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
When trying thumbs forward, my weak side thumb kept hitting the magazine release.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yup, same issue with me. I can't use thumbs forward like I do with my Glocks whenever I take a P-SIG out for a spin. I always have to fly my strong hand thumb or wrap it around the base knuckle of my weak hand thumb, neither of which feels particularly 'right' to me. But it's just one of those things that I've gotten used to doing whenever I grab a P229 or P226 to take to the range.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP this is why Sig miniaturized the slide lock/release lever on the Legion series guns.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do it with just about every pistol, with two notable exceptions. The P230 and the P7.

I just live with it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the video. A little worried that I need to change my grip, but understand. Guess I should have gone with the Legion for the smaller slide release. Or, would it be a terrible idea to see about changing the slide release lever? Did buy a .22 conversion so I can practice a grip without closing the slide. Keep us updated on how your grip changes or how you overcome the same problem!

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s where I learned my new grip that worked really well with my S&W’s and Kimbers, but has given me slight issue with my P229.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n4c7JDXQOB8
Sorry, need to learn how to embed videos, if someone will tell me, I’ll fix it!

Was interested to see when I rewatched that John actually does the same thing as Ospec with his dominant hand thumb, so I’ll be changing that from now on! Thanks for the help all!

posted Hide Post
My strong hand thumb rides atop the base of my support hand thumb as shown in the Bruce Gray video. I started using this grip since I first started shooting a Beretta 92FS years ago and use it regardless of the model of pistol. I never have an issue with failure of slide lock back due to riding the slide stop lever.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about duplicating any grip too precisely. Apply the principles and modify as needed to fit your hand.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post