SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Back into Berettas and TDA’s...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back into Berettas and TDA’s... Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
So I got my first Beretta (a compact type m single stack) in 1992 as one of my first off duty guns. It was traded later for a new WG P228... Since then a few Berretas and other TDA guns have come and gone but being a mostly Glock guy they never stuck. I don’t think I’ve had a single TDA in a few years now. Then it’s like an avalanche - I bought a friends 92FS that he didn’t want (currently in 10-day wait jail). It’s already gotten the D spring, metal trigger, and solid/fluted WC guide rod.

Another guy is trading me back a P229 German in 9mm...then another person who I sold a 92FS Compact to years ago was going to unload it so I’m picking that one up.

Of these the only one I’ll actually carry will likely be the compact - the others will be range toys / teaching tools for my department range classes.

I cannot get away from how the Beretta still is one of the best looking guns there is. (And yes...Die Hard and Lethal Weapon were big hits during my formative years.) Also it’s convenient these are all on my state’s roster to own. I’ll pass along some pics when I can...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bcjwriter,

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All good choices in some nice handguns.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The 92 Compacts are easy to carry concealed. Coupled with a few after market mods & the MecGar 15 round magazines, very fast & accurate pistols. I’ve upgraded mine to G variants as well as adding the Langdon Tactical Trigger job in a bag kit. Also swapped the mag releases for Wilson Combat extendeds as well as WC thin G-10 grips. Most folks I’ve let use them have either offered to buy them from me or ask where to get one similar. I have a 96G Centurion of 1994 vintage that has the same mods and is the most accurate 40SW I’ve ever used. Most folks complain about the fixed front sight and I confess I’m one of them. But the 92 does shoot to its sight and I’m ok with that.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
92's are my favorite. It would be sweet for you to get that type M back too. I've been looking for an M for some time now that I can afford and justify.

Posts: 920 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Welcome back to the light. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love higher end Beretta 92’s. 92 G-SD, EII, LTT Elite. I even love my 30+ year old 92F because of Ernest Langdon TJIAB. Thin G10 grips, the radiused blackstrap, and good triggers have brought me back to TDA’s in a big way as well.

I have been home on disability for awhile and basically ran out of tv and books so I started upgrading all my old CZ75 models. They haven’t seen much user in the last decade other than the Kadet. So I bought some trigger packages, grips, sights, etc. It’s like they are new guns.

I like appendix carry for some purposes and honestly am uncomfortable with strikers for this. TDA’s are much better now. It’s easy to upgrade at home and kind of fun.

As an aside, how did I never know how amazing Truglo TFX Pro’s are? CZ Custom sells the front sight by itself which is fantastic because I think the rears are a bit of an ugly mess. Functional but the rears hurt my eyes in an aesthetic sense.

I go through phases but I can see me sticking with TDA’s for awhile.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried love striker fire handguns. I can do decent work w/ one but, I don’t like it. Even have to carry one at work. When you have a great trigger in a DA/SA like in a LTT, TJIB, or a nice trigger job done by the smiths at Sig it, IMHO, cannot be beat. Hell, even a decent smoothed out DA/SA trigger in a HK is better than the springy spongy striker fire.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have three Berettas. An old 92F, a Brig 92FS and my new LTT Centurion which is amazing.

I haven’t touched my P228 or P229 in forever. Something about the Beretta just calls to me.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My first gun was a 92FS. I carried that thing for a couple of years, then got a P6, which was much lighter and more compact, so I started carrying that. After I got hired by the PD, I bought a Glock 26 to carry as a backup to my issued .40 DA/SA P229, and with its even smaller size and higher capacity, I could no longer justify carrying anything else.

Years passed, the PD switched over to the 9mm P320, and then started issuing us backup guns as well. I got a P320SC, which I started carrying as my on-duty backup and off-duty gun. I did that for a few years, but then got into 1911s and big bore revolvers, and decided I needed a .45 for carry on my own time. I didn't want a gun with a manual safety because I wanted to keep the manual of arms the same as my duty gun, but I do like the longer DA pull of a DA/SA gun, so I decided to go back to my roots and picked up a P245. I dropped an SRT kit into it, and I absolutely love that gun.

Lately I've been kinda jonesing for another Beretta. Mine got neglected in the safe for a long time, but last year I picked up a LTT trigger bar for it, and have been impressed with how that improved the reset. A few months back the locking block cracked. That was an easy and inexpensive fix, and I guess it's just a sign that the gun is finally getting the range time it deserves. I really wish Beretta would bring back the compact type M. IMO one of those in G configuration would make a dandy little carry gun....but the online pricing, when one can find one, is just stupid. I keep hoping to come across one in a display case at an LGS where the seller doesn't know what he has, but no luck on that to date.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I've become a huge TDA fan since I started buying CZ's and putting kits in them.

I have a Sig P220 and P225 that both need some tweaks.

A 92FS is always on the list, it just never seems to happen. Now that the LTT Trigger Kit in a Bag is out it may happen.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
So turns out the compact is a 92F compact - circa mid ‘80’s.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Oooh, that is nice!

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
The question is...do I carry/shoot it, or baby it.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Cars are made to be driven
Wine is to drink
Toys are made to be played with
And guns are made to be shot.

Sort of a philosophy I try to live by.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Carry that thing...it's what it was made for!

Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Finally some pics -

Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed! I've been getting away from the polymer guns & going back to my Beretta's & 1911's.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post