SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Took apart my Kahr PM9 for the first time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took apart my Kahr PM9 for the first time Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
On a lighter note from the current goings on...

I took apart me Kahr tonight. Meaning I disassembled the slide to detail it. I've carried it as a backup/off duty damn near every day for going on 10 years.

I bought it used from a member here, it has certainly served me well!

Recently shot about 50 rounds out of it, decided tonight to take it all apart to clean it better, especially after the years of pocket carry. Ye old YouTube edumacated me. Didn't lose a single spring! It was surprisingly easy to do, only nearly tore off one fingernail lol.

This gun is dead-accurate. I'm still impressed with it.

Didn't even have any extra parts left over when I put it all back together! Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Ive often thought of picking one of those up. They seem to have a solid rep. Went revolver route instead.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I got the instructions off the Kahr forum years ago. I really like the fact that you can completely strip the slide without any special tools.

It's comforting to know everything is nice and clean every now and then.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I need to do that to mine. Been pocket carrying it for about ten years as well. I love my PM9

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pistol. I recently shot their little .380. Now I want one also.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did it still shoot once you put it back together? Big Grin

Tango Alpha Leather Goods

Posts: 97 | Location: Wilson, NC | Registered: April 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daily carry for a decade and never had it apart?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Its 10 plus years old. Order replacement springs from Kahr and swap them out. Keep the old ones as spares.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Not sure if serious...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Not sure if serious...

Be sure. Serious.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
You didn't get to the fun part, detail stripping the frame. The trigger pivot pin and washer make a fun time experience in reassembling.

Didn't own a PM9, but a K40 and P40.

To me the Holy Grail of Kahr pistols back then was the Covert model. K9 slide , PM frame.

I have never liked the new "C" series, the front slide machine cut just does not agree with the aesthetic part of Sunset.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had mine 15 years or more never apart. I really do like the PM9 . I also have the 380 it shoots softer than any 380 I have tried them all .

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the economy version of the pm9, the cm9. I also have a Kahr cw380. These are great guns and I carry them often. Best trigger of any small gun. Great build quality. The 380 in a pocket holster is about the print of a cell phone. Very accurate for their size. I'm sold on them.

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one of the CDNN k9's (NYPD trade-in back-ups)several years ago. I took the slide down and replaced the spring for comfort's sake. It was a peice of cake..but not necessary as the gun had such a low round count.

I've got a CW 45 and a PM 45 now but I know the round count on them is fairly low. No pocket carry or deep cover role for them so they are lint and dust free.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kahr PM9 is my every day pocket carry.
Shoots everything, including +P without fail.

Posts: 15 | Registered: March 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Had my little CM9 out again yesterday, little sucker is a tack driver of a subcompact.

I replaced the firing pin spring plastic guide with the Galloway Precision stainless unit. The plastic was getting buggered up after just 600 rds thru it.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I'm qualifying today with it for the 9th or 10th year in a row. Little bugger scored a point higher than my Glock 19. Did have 1 Failure to Feed (was probably a failure to go into battery, I didn't look too close, just rack tap bang) with the Kahr during the daylight quals.

Springs are definitely getting replaced!!!

-JALLEN

Picture of fiddlers
posted Hide Post
My EDC. I have cycled my PM9 with over a dozen different types of ammunition and never have had a failure. That convinced me to carry this pistol long before Glock finally introduce their Model 43.

Posts: 948 | Location: SWFL | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have also had a PM9 and P9 for about as long. The P9 recently had multiple failures to reset the trigger, and about the same time a friend who had the same gun for the same time had the same issue. He took his to a local gunsmith, who DRILLED a hole in the slide to disassemble it. :-O
I sent mine back to Kahr. less than a week later I had mine back and it worked perfect, those things are scary accurate considering the size. The PM9 is vacuum sealed and stored inside a small backpack, so I doubt it needs cleaning, but it might need the same springs.

My friend ended up sending his P9 back to Kahr as well, hole in the slide and all, they fixed it and sent it right back.

If guns cause crime, mine must all be defective...

Posts: 527 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by evlgreg:
I have also had a PM9 and P9 for about as long. The P9 recently had multiple failures to reset the trigger, and about the same time a friend who had the same gun for the same time had the same issue. He took his to a local gunsmith, who DRILLED a hole in the slide to disassemble it. :-O
I sent mine back to Kahr. less than a week later I had mine back and it worked perfect, those things are scary accurate considering the size. The PM9 is vacuum sealed and stored inside a small backpack, so I doubt it needs cleaning, but it might need the same springs.

My friend ended up sending his P9 back to Kahr as well, hole in the slide and all, they fixed it and sent it right back.

Did Kahr charge you anything? Or was it a warranty claim?

They are incredibly accurate for their size. I would have probably shot 100% with it, but part of the daytime course of fire is 12 shots from 25 yards, 6 standing and 6 prone. Prone with that itty bitty magazine is a PITA. Even with the extended mag, it's impossible to create a solid base laying down.

I still hit the target, but in the outer silhouette. Got a 91% daytime, 98% night time (with no night sights, but no 25 yard shots during night course). With that tiny ass barrel, and 9mm +P rounds, I'm happy.

-JALLEN