SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Well, the Walther PPK/S is back...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, the Walther PPK/S is back... Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
"... but this time he says "it's personal"."

The Walther PPK or PPK/S is a gun I WANT to love. Perfect fit and it "just looks right". I just don't like the way they shoot. A little too snappy (but the S&W version doesn't bite my hand due to the generous Beaver tail).

I'll take it to the range a few times, and it'll probably spend most of its days in the safe.

I've got "buyer's remorse" and am wondering if I should have waited for a 232 instead?

No pictures yet, you know what they look like.

QUESTION: What recoil spring weight are you rocking in your .380 .PPK/S?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You aren't the only one.

I love the look of them and have lusted for an original German / French in 22LR.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9320042364

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I love the look of them and have lusted for an original German / French in 22LR.

I got to shoot one last week. Neat little gun. When I first gripped it, my hand covered a startling amount of the back of the slide. I had to grip it really low to keep clear, to the point it was awkward and uncomfortable to shoot. Damn cool little pistol, though.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
"... but this time he says "it's personal"."

The Walther PPK or PPK/S is a gun I WANT to love. Perfect fit and it "just looks right". I just don't like the way they shoot. A little too snappy (but the S&W version doesn't bite my hand due to the generous Beaver tail).

I'll take it to the range a few times, and it'll probably spend most of its days in the safe.

I've got "buyer's remorse" and am wondering if I should have waited for a 232 instead?

No pictures yet, you know what they look like.
Congratulation on the new addition

I too am glad for the longer tang. The slide always bit me in the meat of the hand between the thumb and index finger. Unfortunately, most of mine are the older style

I never understood the concept of waiting for a gun. When a 232 pops up, there is nothing stopping you from just buying it and selling off the Walther . . . or keeping the Walther.

In the meantime you have a Walther to enjoy

A couple of summers ago I got a bonus check and decided to have this one scratched up a bit

If you love the looks and want one that is not "snappy" you might consider on chambered in 22LR. I really like them

Last year I bought one of the newer ones in 22LR just for suppressed use. My mind kept going back and forth over having one of my German PP or PPk/s 22s threaded, but these are inexpensive enough that I was able to leave the others alone

Everyone I know gets a Big Smile out of shooting the suppressed Walther

This week I am going to the range with a Communist German copy of the PP 22 that I picked up not too long ago. I have not photographed it yet. It is not pretty, a previous owner had it hard chromed and the sear was damaged in re-assembly. I bought it damaged and then replaced the $6 part.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I have the Interarms PPK/S. It gets shot less than anything else I own. It's been sitting in the safe for a decade.

I found that wanting one was more fun than owning one.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I inherited an Interarms PPK from a close relative. While it has immense sentimental value I also learned very quickly what the Walther bite is.

Posts: 347 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

A little too snappy . . .

The original PP series pistols were chambered in 7,65mm (a.k.a. .32 ACP) which is the ultimate caliber for control and reliability in this platform. Unfortunately, the .32 ACP has earned a reputation as a marginal man-stopper at best. I've owned various generations of PP & PPK pistols - both in .32 ACP as well as .380 ACP. All of the .380 pistols have been left go in favor of the P232 in the larger caliber.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My post in another PPK/S thread:

I have an Interarms blue Walther .380 PPK/S. Beautiful pistol, but it’s now a safe queen. My locked breech .380 SIG P238 is so much more comfortable to shoot. Much easier to rack its slide, too.

Corbon 70gr Pow’RBall, plus a lighter recoil spring from Wolff, would help reduce the vicious recoil of your PPK/S.

https://shopcorbon.com/index.p...84_61&product_id=211

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a handloader and the owner of a PPk/S(along with other 380 handguns), I have worked up a "soft" 380 auto load for my blowback guns, and use full tilt loads for my locked breech 380s.

I found with my PPk/S that if I shoot it with the flat based mag(no finger shoe), I don't get the Walther bite, as it lets me grip it a bit lower......much more pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned at least two PPK/s and both were bang, bang, jam.
I will wait and see on the latest version.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Between 86-88, a Walther PPK/s was my primary carry gun. My first year as a LEO in 1989, my PPK/s was one of my two off-duty guns (other was a S&W 669, duty gun was a Beretta 92FC).

I liked my PPK/s, even though after 50-75 rounds I had a blood trail from the hammer bite.
Mine had a decent DA trigger.

At this time, I have no interest in a PPK or PPK/S though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
A long, long time ago in a place, far, far away....Carrying a PPK or PPK/s as an off duty gun was considered very cool. This was the 70's and Super Vel's were the only HP's available. Most just carried FMJ ammo. I still have the cool little Safariland holster I bought for mine when I picked it up in 1975 or so.

I doubt my PPK/s has been more than 5 feet from my safe in 20 years! That IS sad.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Handled one once at my LGS and the 500 lb DA trigger pull was a big turnoff.

I ended up with a Bersa .380 which is based off the PPK in many ways and loved it.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Handled one once at my LGS and the 500 lb DA trigger pull was a big turnoff.

I ended up with a Bersa .380 which is based off the PPK in many ways and loved it.

Soooo never shot a VP70 then huh. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own 3 pp s. 2 are ppk/s. One is a 1967 pp.the others are, an Interarms s-steel and a Walter German sirca 1970s. I quickly learned of the bite yet I solved it with a leather glove. Now each is a joy to shoot.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have had a long time love affair with PPK and PPK/S (starting 1965 with a .32 PPK). Carried one off and on as a detective with a state LEA.

Just posted this on another forum about my new Fort Smith PPK/S:

I posted this a while back. It addresses the PPK/S, but I am sure the new PPK will be the same:

Just got back from the range and the performance was much better than I expected, try perfect.

This is a 7 yard group, a little high, but probably right on at 25 yards if I could only see that far. Tried ball ammo and some WW flat nose. The flat nose feeding probably indicates that this gun will most likely feed anything. Halfmoonclip mentioned that these custom grips sort of subdue the long tang. If I remember right, I had to do a little fitting to get these grips to fit on my 1984 Interarms PPK/S. Guess they were probably made for a S&W PPK/S. They dropped right on to this gun so the fitting for my '84 probably made that possible.

Did I say that this may be the perfect PPK/S? I believe it is if you want a fully functional carry gun of this type. I think the extended tang feels great (and does not even look bad with these custom grips installed). The beautifully polished feed ramp performs at 100 per cent as it should. It is very accurate and feels great when you shoot it.

Just my thoughts, but I am very pleased.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 415 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Manhurin versions. I added a set of Nill grips which are a bit thicker than the stockers. Made shooting a bit more pleasant.

Posts: 600 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a used Walther PPK/S at a LGS recently. It is a S&W and after installing a new recoil spring it shoots every type of .380 FMJ and HP that I can find. The beaver tail keeps me from getting bitten and I find mine to be very accurate and fun to shoot. I have a Concealment Express IWB holster that I have been carrying it in when not packing my Colt Cobra or Defender.
BTW I have medium sized hands.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by specter77:
I picked up a used Walther PPK/S at a LGS recently. It is a S&W and after installing a new recoil spring it shoots every type of .380 FMJ and HP that I can find.
Michael
USMC (Ret)

Michael / specter77,
What manufacturer spring / weight did you buy?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Lot of input on these pistols.

The 22 lr German/French are my favorite. I've owned 3 of them in the past, including the one I own now. Very accurate little pistols.

Also owned an Erma Excam RX22 which was a pot metal clone of a PPK 22. That was in the early 80's.

And have owned several PPK, PPK/s models in 380, never a Model PP however. A Model PP in 32 acp would be a good shooter.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post