SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Well, the Walther PPK/S is back...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, the Walther PPK/S is back... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
"... but this time he says "it's personal"."

(I've got "buyer's remorse" and am wondering if I should have waited for a 232 instead?)

Silver Bullet gun shop in Grand Rapids, Michigan has a black 232 with box stock grips and extra mag (gun has Hogue grips installed) for only $399. They have had it a month and are almost read to deal an even better price.

I almost bought it but I already have a two tone 232, black 230, all stainless 230 and a 230 in .32 acp made for the Japanese Police.

My Sig 230 and 232 guns are a little softer to shoot than my .380 PPK and PPK/S models but my new Fort Smith PPK/S (see my post above) is better than all of them.

My advise would be to call Silver Bullet right away and keep your current Walther.

Good luck, Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

The Walther PPK or PPK/S is a gun I WANT to love. Perfect fit and it "just looks right". I just don't like the way they shoot.

This week I am going to the range with a Communist German copy of the PP 22 that I picked up not too long ago. I have not photographed it yet. It is not pretty, a previous owner had it hard chromed and the sear was damaged in re-assembly. I bought it damaged and then replaced the $6 part.

Just finished this FEG AP22, 22LR, all steel pistol. It is sort of a copy of a .22 PPK and is really fun to shoot. These FEG copies of the Walther guns are really nice and many times inexpensive.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PPK/S was definitley pistol I wanted to love, but it was a jammomatic for years, and after I picked up a p232 , then as p230, I got rid of it.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
While I find both the PPK and the P230/232 beautiful to behold, I can not shoot either with out getting atrocious slide bite, and find the recoil obnoxious in both.

Must be the size, and shape of my hand. Frown

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father had a S&W/Walther,(got a great deal on one), made PPk years ago. From watching the Bond movies over the years and lusting after one, he finally got one. They are a really cool little pistol but the only downside was that the rear of the frame,behind the grip panels, was kind of sharp and it hurt to shoot more than a box of ammo.. Fortunately, we never had an issue with slide or hammer bite. It functioned perfectly.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Sig P232, great gun, no slide bite, but the straight blowback design made the recoil intolerable. I will only buy this gun in 22 cal again.

Posts: 43 | Location: Hilton Head Island, SC | Registered: August 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I just really want the silver Aston Martin to go with it.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

The Walther PPK or PPK/S is a gun I WANT to love. Perfect fit and it "just looks right". I just don't like the way they shoot. A little too snappy (but the S&W version doesn't bite my hand due to the generous Beaver tail).

I'll take it to the range a few times, and it'll probably spend most of its days in the safe.

I've got "buyer's remorse" and am wondering if I should have waited for a 232 instead?

No pictures yet, you know what they look like.

QUESTION: What recoil spring weight are you rocking in your .380 .PPK/S?

I've always lusted after the PPK after seeing them in a James Bond movie as a kid. Honestly, I have no WANT to actually own one, as I don't like the way they shoot at all. The 232 OTOH, fit's my hand like a glove and points perfectly, however it's just too big for pocket carry IMO.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P230/232 are also fixed barrel and direct blowback operated. I find them to be snappy as well. To me, the Beretta Cheetah series is the best looking and least snappy of this pistol type. I will keep the P230SL in my collection though.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I just really want the silver Aston Martin to go with it.
The DB5 is sitting in Miami at the moment

You will notice that right in front of the car is the Lockheed JetStar II from the same movie

These are part of the largest James Bond memorabilia collection in the world and it is open to the public

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
The PPK/S was a great pistol in it's day, but that day is gone. Now we have pistols with a more potent caliber in a smaller package with a better trigger. Why bother unless you are a collector?

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by specter77:
I picked up a used Walther PPK/S at a LGS recently. It is a S&W and after installing a new recoil spring it shoots every type of .380 FMJ and HP that I can find.
Michael
USMC (Ret)

Michael / specter77,
What manufacturer spring / weight did you buy?

Wolf 20 lb.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wolf 20 lb.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

I have a "variety pack" coming from Wolff next week. I'll experiment with them.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Wolf 20 lb.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

I have a "variety pack" coming from Wolff next week. I'll experiment with them.

Good idea. I "shot in the dark" when I ordered a 20lb but should have got the variety pack. I find the PPK/S to be very comfortable to shoot and extremely accurate. I carry it in a Concealed Express kydex holster.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I installed a 17 lb spring and a 17 lb hammer spring with a new firing pin spring. It FEELS better. I'll take it out to the range tomorrow to see.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Interarms PPK/S in .380 that I bought new in 1995. It runs great with a Wolff 17lb recoil spring and particularly so with Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ. The Fiocchi seems a little hotter than most; whatever; my PPK/S loves it and is accurate as all get out with this ammo. Sadly though, I have pretty much bequeathed it to my daughter to go to my Grandson in a few years. I should have waited...he's only two! But then again, I wanted him to have mine, and before I wear it out! It's been lightly engraved, has my name in a banner on the slide so it's more of a keepsake now than a carry gun anyway.

Posts: 127 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
The PPK/S was a great pistol in it's day, but that day is gone. Now we have pistols with a more potent caliber in a smaller package with a better trigger. Why bother unless you are a collector?

Do you even gun, bro??

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Man, what an improvement! I switched out the recoil spring to a 17lb, put in an 18lb hammer spring and the firing pin spring. I shoots everything I tried to put through it.

NOW, I need to figure out how to get around the slide bite. I don't even think it IS the slide, but the sharp beaver tail on the Walther / S&W model. Has anyone found a solution to that?

Photo Nov 27, 4 02 40 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It’s the beaver tail. Last range trip I used a pre-emptive bandaid to cushion the spot it digs into my hand. Seemed to help.

I’m now at just over 200rds on my Fort Smith PPK. Mostly fmj with some Critical Defense and Underwood XD mixed in. I’ve had one failure to feed. A round of FMJ hung on the feed ramp. Honestly I likely induced that failure with a less than firm grip. I was tired and got lazy. No more failures in the fifty or so rounds since then. Inside 10 yards this gun is a laser. Past ten yards the sights and my eyes don’t get along as well, but it’s still easy to keep hits in the scoring zone. I really like this little gun, even if it makes me bleed a little from time to time.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grayfox54
posted Hide Post
The Walther PP Series is just one of those guns that I have a "thing" for. Big Grin A true classic in whatever form you find them.
I do carry one from time to time, but I have other guns that I usually prefer for CCW. So mostly they're safe queens.
I've never had any problem with slide bite at all.
I currently have five.
Interarms PPK/S .380
Interarms PPk . 380
German PP .32
S&W PPK/S .32
Walther/Umarex PPK/S .22

It ain't the years, its the mileage.

Posts: 54 | Location: Bartlett, TN | Registered: November 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post