SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock front sight tool?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock front sight tool? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

What do we like for a Glock front tool? I've used a general-purpose wrench in the past for installations, but they're not quite precise enough for a good grasp on the small screw. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

Chris

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Factory Glock tool.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
the one that dawson precision sends with their sights. I can probably track down an extra one if you have need... shoot me your address.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I use a standard 3/16" precision hex nut driver made by Wiha. You can get them online for a few bucks.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The Brownells tool worked well enough for me.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just about any small tool that fits the hex nut. There's not a lot of force required to loosen or tighten the nut. I just use a hex nut driver. Personally, given the frequency of use, I wouldn't spend $35 on the Glock tool.

Whatever you get, make sure the shaft is long enough to be used with a long slide Glock as well. Keep you from buying another tool if you get something like a G34 or other long slides later. The diameter of the shaft has to fit through the access hole on the bottom of the slide and be long enough to reach the nut.

https://www.brownells.com/sear...sight+tool&ksubmit=y

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I use a standard 3/16" precision hex nut driver made by Wiha. You can get them online for a few bucks.

This.

One of the golden pieces of advice that I've gotten from this forum.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations. Do any of these nut drivers with a deep well cause issues getting the screw started? Any tips there?

Chris

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
quote:

This.

Yup. Probably the best $5 I've spent on gun tools.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used needle nose pliers to start the screw, finished with the driver. I also packed the driver with cloth (cleaning patch) to have just the head drop into it. I would assume a thick grease would work as well and probably offer some retention as well.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a Fixxer front sight tool with the punch to do the rest of the work for $8 from Amazon. It works well and so far I've done two sights with them. It's magnetic which is nice to hold the screw in. I've been rolling the screw threads in blue stick loctite before install.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
quote:

This.

Another vote for this one, worked great for me.

Posts: 339 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
standard 3/16" precision hex nut driver made by Wiha

Another vote on this. Its cheap, its easy to get, shaped perfectly for the job and it is better quality than the factory tool.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I use an Aro-Tek for mine.
I got it from Brownell's.
Since I use it on EVERY Glock I have - sometimes multiple times - $25 was worth it. It's perfect.
Tried one of the cheapos and messed up the screw because my fingers are too big to use them and it was too soft to be of any use.

Sorry TGS but THIS is a rotten POS that I'm surprised they still sell.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I got a Fixxer front sight tool with the punch to do the rest of the work for $8 from Amazon. It works well and so far I've done two sights with them. It's magnetic which is nice to hold the screw in. I've been rolling the screw threads in blue stick loctite before install.

I bought one of the Fixxer tools from amazon as well, but the thing was too small to fit the screw head. I tried multiple times to email Fixxer to see if they woudl swap out the tool but they never replied. Useless customer service if you ask me. I ended up buying one of the Ameriglo tools, and it works great.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
standard 3/16" precision hex nut driver made by Wiha

Another vote on this. Its cheap, its easy to get, shaped perfectly for the job and it is better quality than the factory tool.

These guys know the score.

I spent about five bucks and bought a dedicated Wiha to keep in the gun safe. It's the only thing I use it for, and it doesn't get lost because my wife doesn't know the safe combination.

https://www.grainger.com/produ...ku^30D426-adType^PLA

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What ever tool you get make sure it has a magnet to hold the sight screw. You will thank me later

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I have the Glock tool; bought it years ago for $14 when MidwayUSA first brought it in. Shortly after I got it the price went up to $35. Works great, mainly because of the magnet.

The Fixxer tool off of Amazon also has a magnet to hold the screw in check when installing. I now have several of these scattered amongst my tool kits and range gear, just like I do with the Glock tool (punch). Each of these knockoffs have worked just as well as the factory tool; I've encounter no problems with any front sight screw head not fitting with any of the factory or aftermarket sights that I've installed, either with my own guns or on customer guns.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post