SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any Beretta shooters? A question on frame wear.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Beretta shooters? A question on frame wear. Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted
Any Beretta experts on hand? I've got a question.

I picked up one of the Beretta Wilson Combat 92Gs. I like the way it feels in hand. I like the way it looks. I LOVE the way it shoots. I took it out today and put about 200 rounds through it of mixed ammo ranging from 115 gr ball to 147 gr HST. Reliability was flawless and the gun stunningly accurate. It made ME look like an expert shooter.

And then I got home to clean it. There are two small but noticeable areas of peening where the barrel makes contact with the frame at the end of its rearward travel. The area in question is the aluminum block right in front of the feed ramp. The square block under the chamber seems to hit this pretty hard under recoil. Is this normal and self limiting or is this something to be concerned about? It's been awhile since I had a 92 variant and I don't remember if my last one developed the same marks or not.

I'm aware that steel striking aluminum is going to make a mark, but I'm a bit concerned about such obvious wear popping up so quickly. If there is a problem I'd prefer to get it addressed now before real damage occurs. At the same time I'm wondering if I'm looking at this too hard because of the price tag...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My .40 cal exhibits that, but I bought it used with unknown round count and it was that way when I got it.

My 9mm doesn't that I can recall, but I keep the rails and contact points like that well greased with heavy Slide Glide or Lucas grease.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Well, after a bit of skulking around Beretta forums, it appears to be like the Sig Smiley; normal wear that shows up early and then doesn't progress. Gun is brand new, so I'll just shoot the snot out of it and if it gets worse I'll take advantage of the Beretta warranty in 2 years and 11 months. Wink MAYBE I'll go to a slightly stiffer recoil spring if I shoot +p regularly.

Honestly, if it was a standard 92 I probably wouldn't have even noticed it.

posted Hide Post
I have two M9's and a 92A1 .Wear in those spots is normal and will not progress.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I wish you had posted a photo. I am not seeing anything like that on my Wilson Combat 92G.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey do not be alarmed...This is perfectly normal wear...I like to lube those areas with grease..That seems to cut down on the wear on the slide rubbing against the front sight frame. I personally use Lucas gun grease or tetra gun grease on all my guns for the slide and rails...

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

Posts: 777 | Location: NC | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The area in question.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Wilson sells these frame buffers, but I don't know if they would help for your problem.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Sh...ta/productinfo/700B/

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
That doesn't look right. My used and abused 92 with close to 25K doesn't look anything like that.

As a matter of fact, none of my 92's exhibit that type of deformation. I wouldn't even consider that wear.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I sent that pic to a friend and he replied its normal and won't progress. Just grease it and shoot away.

I'm with piedrarc in saying I haven't seen this on any of my 22 examples of the platform but now I'm gonna go have to check them to be sure of that.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The theory on one of the Beretta forums is that some frames have a small step on the face that the barrel contacts as a manufacturing artifact. As the barrel block is flat, it will impact this step and deform it until the frame is flat. This deformation results in the 2 bumps. Annoying, but cosmetic only. People with affected frames either deal with it or hit it with some fine grit paper to remove the marks.

They look worse in the pic than they actually are. It does drive my OCD nuts. I'll shoot the crap out of the gun and if it doesn't get worse I'll polish the area flat and touch up with aluminum black. If it does get worse I'll address it with Beretta.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and forwarded the pic to Beretta. I'll post their response.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I would check the locking block pin to see if it's tight and that the locking block doesn't have any 'abnormal' movement. The locking block 'lugs' are supposed to stop against the frame in front of where the peening is which should prevent the barrel from hitting the frame in that area hard enough to cause this.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My "new" 92S looked like that after 200 rounds.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Beretta's response was"Our gunsmith looked at the pictures and said this was an issue of no functional concern," but to send it in if I wished on their dime. I'm kind of undecided honestly. I may put another couple hundred rounds through it this weekend and see if it gets any worse or remains steady.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm buying me a beat to shit one once the 320's replace them. They are tanks, pretty tanks at that. Little wear just shows its been used.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post