SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Talk to me about small carry 9's, the good, the bad and the ugly
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk to me about small carry 9's, the good, the bad and the ugly Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'd look really hard at the Kahr PM9/CM9

Was shooting my little Kahr CW380 Sunday for the first time and could not get over how NICE their triggers are!

They are long, DAO type but you'd never know it, they are so buttery smooth and just feel great.

I tried a rental G43 a few months ago and while I like Glocks, I was not impressed with this one. At all.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I decided to go with a single stack 9 after years of dealing with IWB carry of fat heavy double stacks or thin heavy 1911s. I visited several LGSs and fondled all of them. It came down to the G43, the Shield 2.0, and the PPS M2. I was surprised that the G43 made the short list because I've never liked Glocks, but the 43 felt good in my hand and had a pretty decent trigger (if a tad bit mushier than the others). Ultimately the price difference was what eliminated the G43. The Shield and the PPS were so close in feel, weight, trigger, capacity and price that it was hard to choose. Finally I just went to the nearest shop, dry fired both, and picked the one that had the (just slightly) better trigger. That was the Shield 2.0. But either the PPS or the G43 would make an equally good carry gun. If I'd gone to a different shop, the PPS might have had the better trigger.

So far I've been very pleased with the Shield. Still waiting on a holster and mag pouch for it though...

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
For folks who like hammers and decockers, there is the Springfield XD-E:
    Thin
    Magazine with 8 or 9 rounds
    Reliable
    Reasonably priced
    Polymer frame (24 ounces)

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I’m very pleased with my XD-S 9; I use the 8-round mags so it fits my hand but still conceals very easily because it’s so thin and flat. I carry it in a BladeTech Klipt and almost forget it’s there. I carry two spare 8-rounders in Tulster IWB carriers. I put the Talon Grip on it and that improved it even more for me, though it was good to start with. Most importantly, it’s plenty accurate at SD ranges.

My daughter carries an LC9S Pro that she really likes. I haven’t had the chance to shoot it yet, though.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had my Walther PPS for almost 10 years now. Never found a reason to replace it. Its predecessor was an Hk P7, but I liked the Walther PPS a lot more.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also recently switched from a J frame to a semi auto 9. Mine does double duty- On my ankle while on duty as a back up and either on my ankle or waist off duty. I've carried the J frame for over 27 years and shoot it as well as any full size gun so it was hard to give up but wanted the ease of carrying extra mags vs loose rounds or speed strips. I've had a G26 (too bulky and kind of heavy loaded)and a Shield (great shooter, great trigger, but a little big at times). Ended up with a G43. On ankle with 6 rnd mag, in waist sometimes with mags with extensions. Glock's LEO pricing helped too. Not a great fan of Glock looks but owned and carried them on duty for a long time and never had a malfunction that wasn't ammo related/caused.

Posts: 339 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the G43. I carry mine a lot. I'm warming up to the P365, but it will take longer to feel comfortable.

I like the XDS, but it's a bit heavier than the G43, not as friendly in the pocket. Comfortable to shoot, though. Don't really care for the trigger.

I have zero faith in the shield, based on previous experience and S&W response. My paperweight is still in the safe.

I had a Star Firestar years ago, which was a brick but quite small; a single action 9mm single stack. It did have a habit of the hammer following the safety when the safety came off, though. It shot nicely, was very controllable due to the weight, very easy to hit with, good trigger, and I wish I'd kept it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
Glock 43x without a doubt. I like it so much I went out and got the 48 a week later for the hell of it.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a former Marine, I'm a 1911 guy. When I took my CPL class, the instructor had a Sig 229 .40 cal, highly recommended the platform, so that is what I bought and is why I am here. Still wanted a 1911 as it was a familiar platform, so a Sig compact stainless carry model was next. I then wanted something lighter, bought a P238 to shove in my pocket for a quick grab gun. Then I decided I needed a plastic 9mm to use as my everyday carry, looked around and decided on an XDs 9mm as I wanted either a manual or grip safety. Holsters are another story, I like the summer special II, but I also wanted the belt loops spaced out... HBE OS Pro, I had him add a thumb brake and it is what I am currently using and I love it, (as I am in the woods, on four wheelers, motorcycles, ect and do not want to lose my pistol, I live in a very rural area)

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
With some doubt. The grips on those are bigger than most single stack subcompacts. If someone wants a gun with some pocketability, those aren't it.

quote:
Originally posted by szuppo:
Glock 43x without a doubt.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just went over 750 rounds through my P365, and without a bobble whatsoever. Good ergonomics, great capacity for a mini, super sights, accurate as all hell, and it feeds anything. I'm cleaning on a 100 round schedule, as I do with my other day in, day out, night in night out, carry pieces. It's the best small size carry gun I've ever fielded. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P938
Truly pocket size & light
Good sights (including X-ray, siglite, contrast)
Reliable
Accurate
Easy to shoot well
Highly customizable

I am no fan of striker fired weapons.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I often pocket carry my G26 (with flush mag base) when I’m not wearing jeans, or other pants that print easily. Spare mag in another pocket. 21 rounds in a reliable accurate subbie.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Save your J-frames! This is just a phase your going thru. Sooner or later you'll go back. Wink

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
Single stack 9's I've owned

Kahr MK9
Ruger LC9
S&W Shield
Sig 938

I've sold all but the 938. I have a 938 Extreme and recently bought a 938 Legion. The only problem I've ever had with the 938 was the mag drop issue with the extended 7rd mags. I sent my extreme back to Sig a few months ago and they replaced the mag catch and replace 2 extended mags I had with new ones that have the dimple. Haven't had a problem since.

The Legion is the fully updated up graded 938 and I love it. Only about 250 through it so far but no malfunctions at all. I've shot a few other single stack pocket nines other than the ones I've owned including Glock 43's and non of them shoot or feel as good to me as the P938. Nothing like a single action trigger to put rounds on target.

People rave about Kahr triggers. I absolutely hated it. I'll never buy another one. I love the all steel frame of the MK9. I wish the P938 came in steel. It would be perfect. To me, none of the "pocket" 9's are very good pocket guns. They are all to big IMO. With the exception being cargo shorts. I can pocket any of them in that type pant. To ME the best pocket guns are 380 and smaller. I've owned a bunch of those as well. P238, LCP, M&P Bodyguard etc. Still have the P238's the rest are gone.

Credit where credit is due. All the small single stack 9 and 380 I own or have owned have been reliable and pretty much flawless in operation. It amazes me these shrunk down major caliber guns work as well as they do. Until recently most pocket guns were .22, .25 and .32 caliber. We are lucky to have so many options and for the most part they all work pretty well.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
I have a pps m1 and a p365. That little pps is a straight shooter, really! I shoot that better than most of my handguns, only drawback IMO is the 8+1 =\ I’d rather have the extra capacity, oh and the p365 is a damn fine shooting pistol too.

Posts: 1124 | Location: Pac NW | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaspipes:
Nothing like a single action trigger to put rounds on target.

People rave about Kahr triggers. I absolutely hated it. I'll never buy another one.

Well, if you are a SA trigger guy, of course you're going to hate any kind of DAO trigger.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Save your J-frames! This is just a phase your going thru. Sooner or later you'll go back. Wink

Thou speakest the truth.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:

Thou speakest the truth.

It happened to me. My 642 is still my main go-to gun for CCW, despite many choices in the safe.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can find the S&W CS9 or a 3913/3914......IMHO; Are the best compact single stacks of all times.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post