SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Talk to me about small carry 9's, the good, the bad and the ugly
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk to me about small carry 9's, the good, the bad and the ugly Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
S&W Shield in 9mm works great for me.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Walther PPS, Sig P938, Walther PPQ SC, XD-S....lots of quality choices, each with pros and cons. Find a range that rents and try as many as you can.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had practically all of the small single stack nines and for the money the Shield is the best all around. The underrated Nano and Kahr are easiest to conceal. The PPS M2 is great and easy to shoot but a little large, same for the XDS. The G43 is great too but a little pricey, same with the P365. The new Mossberg is interesting. I held one and it felt really good in the hand but of course, there's no history of reliability.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adobesig:
Smith & Wesson Shield is a really terrific little gun. Wonderful trigger and very reliable.

+1 on this.

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had them all, G43, shield when they first came out, G26, and on and on. Then I had the good fortune to run into a CZ 2075 Rami BD (decocker version). Absolutely fantastic 10 round carry 9mm. Small, shoots like a full size, utterly reliable and fun to shoot. I carry it every where in a FIST kydex iwb holster. I have even dropped it in a heavy winter coat pocket for a quick late night trip to pick someone up at the airport.
An internet search turns up nothing but praise for them, and 1,000 rounds later through mine the reviews are 100% spot on. They are real hard to find but if you do strongly consider it.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Shield can be had for around $250 (PSA) lot of 9mm for the money. My favorite is the G43 with a Hogue slip on grip.
Both are winners.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Hard to beat a Glock 43.

Yep, after going round and a round with small concealed carry guns, I've settled on the G43. Small and Glock reliable. Not saying other semi autos in this class are crap... there are plenty of good ones out there so pick one you like if you're not a Glock guy. BTW, the G43 slide fits and works perfectly on a G48 frame making it a G43X with a black slide. I really like this set up as it works perfectly in the holsters I have for the G43 and it's not much more difficult to conceal (except pocket carry)

That’s my plan pickup a 48 to go with my 43

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I've owned the following in small 9mm's.

Sig P365
Kahr PM9/CM9
Ruger LC9s and EC9s
Glock 43
S&W Shield
Beretta Nano
SA XDs
Walther PPQ M2

The only one I still own is the Sig P365. Accurate, soft shooting, great factory trigger, reliable (3K rds thru it my primary one, 1K thru my spare).

My second choice is the Kahr. Accurate and reliable too with a great factory trigger. As someone else said if you carry a spare mag in the pocket you will need a "leather sleeve" holder otherwise rounds will wiggle out of the mag and you'll pull your spare mag and will find it half full.

Third choice would be the LC9s/EC9s. Accurate and ok trigger, little more recoil than the others. Couldn't pocket carry it like I could the two above.

The Glock was a Glock but I couldn't shoot it as well as the other above. The Shield and Nano I couldn't shoot worth a damn, and I've owned 2 different Shields and I've shot several others. While others love them I am not impressed with the way they shoot one bit. Reliable yes but not my cup of tea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had

I have a Kimber Micro 9. Quite happy with it. Reliable, incredibly accurate out if the box. No complaints here.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:

i have to say my Kahr CM9 has been 100%, VERY thin, small but just the right size to fit in blue jeans back pocket ...

+1 for the PM9 or its cheaper brother the CM9. Fits in my front jeans pocket.

If pocket carry is not important, it's still a good 6+1 CCW gun.

Another vote for the Kahr CM9.

I have also pocket carried the Keltec P11. It requires different style pockets but is a double stack with higher capacity.

Both the Kahr and Keltec have been 100% reliable for me. YMMV.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I've carried both the Sig P938 and the P365. Happy with both.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long history with the 1911 so when I switched carry guns from a snubby I went with the sig 938. Had bought a 238 for GF and liked it so much I got its big brother. Because of a work situation I have to carry in pocket. The 938 with a good pocket holster carries very well and with the 7rd mag fit the my hand well. Also there is very good 9mm ammo out there so no need to feel under gunned

Posts: 156 | Registered: January 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original Glock 43 is the winner for me. Holsters and accessories (mag extensions, triggers, sights) are all readily available. Its soft shooting and reliable.

I have tried the Shield and cant get into it. I have shot the P365, but wont buy wone just yet (although it seems like the bugs are worked out).

Cost is a big factor and the G43 is widely available both new and used for a reasonable price.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying my 9mm Shield. I picked up a 365 last summer, and it's been flawless for over 1500 rounds thus far. And ... I shoot the 365 far better than I shoot my Shield. B-b-but ... the 365 just feels a bit too small in my hand. I know that "feel" is subjective, however for me at least, I still haven't made the switch over from the Shield to the 365.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:

i have to say my Kahr CM9 has been 100%, VERY thin, small but just the right size to fit in blue jeans back pocket ...

+1 for the PM9 or its cheaper brother the CM9. Fits in my front jeans pocket.

If pocket carry is not important, it's still a good 6+1 CCW gun.

Another vote for the Kahr CM9.

I have also pocket carried the Keltec P11. It requires different style pockets but is a double stack with higher capacity.

Both the Kahr and Keltec have been 100% reliable for me. YMMV.

Kahr. My PM9 has been in my front pocket for 12 years now in a Desantis Superfly. No reason yet to switch up

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a Nano. Since the updated extractor, it has been flawless. I carry it with R Grizzle Leather's Georgia Snap. Great combo.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
How small is "small," in your view, 2000Z-71?

Are you talking light and easy to conceal, or pocketable?

I tried a buddy's S&W J-frame. It was pocketable, but I couldn't hit s**t with it. (Nor could he. Nor could another buddy.) So I went with Ruger's LCR. Much better, but at the cost of a grip so big it wasn't really pocket-able. At least not in a bluejeans pocket, which is my gauge for "pocketable."

Along came the Ruger LCP in .380 ACP. That thing slips comfortably into any pocket, complete with pocket holster. Perfect. And it's really quite manageable, even in my long-fingered paws. (I wear an XL glove--and even those can be marginal.)

For something that's light-ish and concealable in a 9mm I went with the Walther PPS M2, after spending probably a couple hours fondling everything else the store had in their extensive inventory. I love this little pistol. Carry 7+1 in it and an 8-round mag in a horizontal carrier on the other side. It conceals nicely under pretty much every cover garment I like, including any of my suit jackets. I shoot well with it.

Neither pistol has skipped a beat with any of the variety of FMJ and JHP I've fed them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
.......... ... I shoot the 365 far better than I shoot my Shield. .......... I still haven't made the switch over from the Shield to the 365.
.......... Eek Roll Eyes

Taurus G2

Posts: 117 | Registered: August 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a G43 for a couple of years - sold it and bought a very recent P365. Double the ammo capacity in essentially the same size footprint.

The good - very easy to conceal in light, summer clothing. The bad - shorter barrel decreases speed and energy and challenges you to have good fundamentals. The ugly - sometimes the +2 extensions can pinch the crap out of your pinky.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Depami:
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
.......... ... I shoot the 365 far better than I shoot my Shield. .......... I still haven't made the switch over from the Shield to the 365.
.......... Eek Roll Eyes

Taurus G2

He rolls his eyes and then suggests a Taurus! Hahahahahaha.

Anyway my kahr PM9 has been flawless for years, shield or Xds is good choice but a little too big for pocket. G43 is the same. G43x is a great shooter. Its even bigger,

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post