SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG M18 versus M18 Commemorative
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG M18 versus M18 Commemorative Login/Join 
posted
Last month I bought an M18 from Palmetto State Armory for $750. I'm delighted with it after 3 trips to the range. I also love the appearance and feel of this pistol. I thought the price was a little high, but they quickly sold out. Not long after, SIG announced the M18 Commemorative model and PSA had some for sale for $1500! They quickly sold out. Am I missing something here? Does anything justify double the price for the Commemorative model?

Posts: 121 | Location: Ohio | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems like everything cost twice as much now.

PSA just hadn't updated their prices?

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKSig:
Does anything justify double the price for the Commemorative model?

Its a limited production "Commemorative model". That may not mean much to you and it doesn't to me either but to hard core collectors, that's very important. The nice thing about living in a capitalist economy is that the market sets the price. If these guns are selling out at $1500 a pop then apparently yes, a lot of people think they are worth that price. If not, these guns would be sitting on the shelves collecting dust and would eventually come down in price.

That said, its a crazy time right now and there are people seemingly willing to pay anything to get what they want now? Had these gun come out 2 years ago, I doubt they would be selling for that much or at least not selling out that quickly at that price?

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: January 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Commemoratives do not interest me.
Now if they had a commercial version of the all metal pistols they made for the sentries at the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier, it might be different.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
For $1000-ish, the commemorative M17 was seemingly worth it. I almost bought one, but didn’t, and not long after the surplus ones were released, which to me were MUCH more desirable. To my surprise though it seems the commemorative M17’s are holding and even gaining value more than what I anticipated after the surplus ones were released. Maybe the M18 commemorative is worth the $1500 though and will gain in value over time as it’s a limited production.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
The funny thing is that the commemorative has FDE controls which the issued M18's never did. So it's a commemorative of a gun that was never issued..

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MAP on them is $999, if I remember correctly, while MSRP is $1099.

Anything over that is just market condition markups. Up to the buyer if they think it is worth or not, but the Dealers will sell every one they get, even at $1499.

I'll pick one up at $999-$1099 just to round out the collection, but anything over that, not worth it to me.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
It is meant to represent the pistol that was submitted and won the MHS trials, not its current issue form.

Also, I am sure many of those who own an M17 Commemorative would like a matching M18.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can get one for 1100 and I choose not to

Posts: 1744 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1flynDO:
I can get one for 1100 and I choose not to

Dude, where? I'd do that.

I want one to go with my M17 Commemorative but I'm with the majority here. $1k felt like a steep but acceptable markup for "special." One gun for the price of two I can't justify.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is meant to represent the pistol that was submitted and won the MHS trials, not its current issue form.

You mean its corrected resubmitted form.

Commemoratives have their place, particularly for collectors. While I have a tough time thinking that a poly service gun that won out because of its low, low price is worthy of commemoration for a lot, lot more of price, but it's SIG and I suppose they did earn the right to celebrate. Even if it was mostly due to their bean counters who had far sharper pencils than Glock's cost accountants.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mil at vances. 1149 plus tax.

Posts: 1744 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post