SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield EMP Questions & Comparable
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield EMP Questions & Comparable Login/Join 
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
That Wilson is the bomb! I shot a friends and it was amazing!

However, the Springfield’s have been the best mid-level 1911s in my experience. I’ve had terrible Kimbers.

If I was looking for a 1911 in 9mm, I’d do the Springfield RO Elite Champion. You’d have plenty of $$ left over to get mods done. Yes I know it doesn’t have the small circumference grip, but I’ve never liked the shorter grip, even thou I don’t have long fingers, the full size grip just feels right to me.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love my EMP4. It's crazy fun to shoot, incredibly reliable, and stupid accurate. I opted for it over the RO series in 9mm because of the checkered front strap and the fact that the action was designed around the 9mm cartridge. It's my favorite handgun.

Target was at 10 yards, standing unsupported.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Absolutely love my EMP4. It's crazy fun to shoot, incredibly reliable, and stupid accurate. I opted for it over the RO series in 9mm because of the checkered front strap and the fact that the action was designed around the 9mm cartridge. It's my favorite handgun.

Target was at 10 yards, standing unsupported.

Nice shooting. Has it been reliable across all loads, manufacturers, and hollow point rounds for you or have you experienced the EMP4 shines with certain ammo over others?

Posts: 259 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hk91308:

Nice shooting. Has it been reliable across all loads, manufacturers, and hollow point rounds for you or have you experienced the EMP4 shines with certain ammo over others?

It has fed every factory round I've put through it from day one without a single hickup. That includes FMJ ball ammo, Federal HST JHP, and Sig VCrown JHP. As to handloads, it also feeds Berry's plated 124 and 115gr plated ball, Hornady XTP, and even my 135gr RN Cast plinking load with no issues.

I did have some issues early on with some really light handloads that cycled all of my other 9mms fine, but would short-stroke the slide on my EMP and it would fail to strip the next round off the mag. I resolved this by upping my powder charge a bit (still under max) and since doing this, that issue has not returned.

I bought it last year when Springfield was offering the free holster + 4 magazines with the purchase of any handgun promotional deal...so I have 7 mags. One of the 7 fails to lock the slide back on occasion...I've never had that problem with any of the others.

The only other problem I've ever had with it is shooter induced...I like a high, thumbs forward grip, and occasionally I'll accidentally engage the safety while shooting. The safety detent is nice and stiff, but my grip apparently puts quite a bit of pressure on it. If I could change anything about the gun it would be to put a lower-profile, non-ambi safety on it.

ETA: One other thing that I forgot to mention...because it isn't really a big deal to me. The satin stainless finish on the slide doesn't hold up too well to wear. Mine is basically a range gun...I don't CC it. I've been using a cheap Blackhawk Serpa holster on the range, and there are noticeable wear marks on the top of the slide from where it rubs on the draw. Not a huge deal to me, since all my guns are shooters not display pieces...but to some this might be a concern.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
You know, after some further thought about my EMP. Since it was one of the very first off the manufacturing line, I do remember now one quirk with the early ones regarding being finicky about the ammo used. Many, to include myself found that the early EMP's digested Fiocchi ammo like candy, whereas other manufactures had some difficulties feeding on occasion. I found the the Fiocchi brand ammo had a shorter OAL than others and fashioned a round using those OAL spec's and they ran without a hitch. It was shortly after that Springfield started fashioning a slightly different machine tolerances with the feed ramps to reduce the slight feeding complaint issues. Mine ran perfectly using my hand loads with the certain OAL spec, which was a bit shorter profile. I have the spec's written down someplace but having sold mine it's long forgotten. I will say, mine was extremely accurate, well balanced and great for concealment for a compact 1911.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still looking and weighing all of the options.

I am having some health issues which are affecting my ability to shoot handguns at the moment.. Hopefully, I can get this resolved in short order. I am kind of bummed out at the moment. Frown

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EMP 4 9mm: Have competitor who is thinking of EMP 4 in "CCP" division of IDPA. One issue is the height. 2017 rules limit height to 5.375 inches and pistol specifications mention 5.5 inches for both versions of the EMP 4 9mm. However, from looking at pictures of the two versions ["Lightweight Champion" PI9211L and "Concealed Carry Contour" PI9229L] it looks as if a 9 round mag from the "Carry" might fit the "Champion" and result in a shorter height.
Does anyone know?
Additionally, will full size grips fit on EMP4?
Thanks.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post