SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield EMP Questions & Comparable
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield EMP Questions & Comparable Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Hope these help...

Yeah the 938 is definitely in an even smaller category. I own all three, because they all fill a different role for me.

The first pic is a little misleading. It makes them all look more similar in size than they really are.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
you can get an idea of how much slimmer the grip on the EMP is. the thicker grip on the EDC X9 carries very similar to a G19 or M&P Compact 2.0.

the slide carries like a traditional 1911 IWB. As such, I find it a little better to carry IWB than the G19 and M&P. I'm a fairly slim guy, so slide thickness matters a lot to me.

Before I got big into working out and lost a bunch of weight, the slide thickness didn't matter much to me. Now that there isn't any fat for the gun to squish into like a mattress, it's uncomfortable to carry guns IWB, so slimness counts big for me.

The EDC X9 is the best double stack I have carried IWB.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Nice side by side pics.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you E.S. Dunbar! That is extremely helpful.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:

NP at all sir. I’ve got calipers if you need any dimensions, I’ve received all kinds of help and advice here over the years. Happy to help out when I can.

If you’re ever in NW Ohio, the range is less than 10 minutes from my house Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:

NP at all sir. I’ve got calipers if you need any dimensions, I’ve received all kinds of help and advice here over the years. Happy to help out when I can.

If you’re ever in NW Ohio, the range is less than 10 minutes from my house Wink

I think I am good with the size comparison. Thank you. I am pretty convinced that the EMP is the right fit for me in a 1911 platform deep cover (non-pocket) pistol. A little smaller and more agile than the rest.

One never knows where my travels will take me. I made monthly trips to Cleveland for years, even spent a week there last summer. I will be in Toronto for a week in the near future. Always on the move... If I get to Toledo, I will look you up. :-)

I am in Lufkin/Nacogdoches Texas, if you ever head this way.

Sig Forum is awesome, period!

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My EMP came from the factory with front strap texture. More of a “dimpling” than a checkering, but good grip and looks sharp.

I have little baby man hands so the scaled down grip is awesome.

IMG_4577 by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I sold mine to a forum member here. I sent mine back to Springfield Custom Shop and had them do the front strap and MSH checkering, flush cut slide stop notch, new sights, top and rear slide serrations and round off the bottom butt. It was a great little 1911. In the end, I just preferred commander and full size 1911's, but for a compact 1911 the EMP was a fine pistol.

Do you recall the price for the custom work, as well as delivery time?

burnetma, Sorry, it was so long ago that all I remember was that I had to be put on a waiting list for several months before the work order could be started. Additionally if I remember mine had to go back twice because they didn't do end mill ball cuts at the time, and when they did get set up to machine them I had to send it back. Mine was a very early made EMP and they didn't even offer the end mill ball cuts on EMP's at that time. When they did start machining the ball cuts on their factory EMP's they rang me up and asked if I still wanted them...merely aesthetics only. So at that time I had them machine the top and rear serrations of the slide along with new sights. The first time I sent it into the Custom Shop they checkered the front and rear MSH, new slide safety, rounded the bottom corner of the butt (which dug into my palm)flush cut the slide stop notch and refinished the frame. If I recall, total costs for both trips were around $800. The pistol ran great whenever it returned from them, and the Custom Shop rep I worked with was a very nice woman with a lot of experience and knowledge. I first purchased mine when they first started hitting the dealers and being an early adopter I kinda thought they would have minor kinks, but mine ran great!

Here's an image of the other side showing the flush cut slide stop notch. Grip color were the same just a different image processing..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I've long thought that the ECO is a close alternative to the EMP. Actually preferable to me, even without my anti-Springfield bias. The ones we bring in are quite cruel in their tempting nature.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
My EMP came from the factory with front strap texture. More of a “dimpling” than a checkering, but good grip and looks sharp.

Had a Brown Special Forces with a similar front/msh treatment they called it chain link II. Very comfortable to shoot in extended South Florida hot humid climates. The grip was great!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have around 500 rounds thru the gun right now no hang ups, the gun is accurate. Here are three of my 1911's.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I sold mine to a forum member here. I sent mine back to Springfield Custom Shop and had them do the front strap and MSH checkering, flush cut slide stop notch, new sights, top and rear slide serrations and round off the bottom butt. It was a great little 1911. In the end, I just preferred commander and full size 1911's, but for a compact 1911 the EMP was a fine pistol.

Do you recall the price for the custom work, as well as delivery time?

burnetma, Sorry, it was so long ago that all I remember was that I had to be put on a waiting list for several months before the work order could be started. Additionally if I remember mine had to go back twice because they didn't do end mill ball cuts at the time, and when they did get set up to machine them I had to send it back. Mine was a very early made EMP and they didn't even offer the end mill ball cuts on EMP's at that time. When they did start machining the ball cuts on their factory EMP's they rang me up and asked if I still wanted them...merely aesthetics only. So at that time I had them machine the top and rear serrations of the slide along with new sights. The first time I sent it into the Custom Shop they checkered the front and rear MSH, new slide safety, rounded the bottom corner of the butt (which dug into my palm)flush cut the slide stop notch and refinished the frame. If I recall, total costs for both trips were around $800. The pistol ran great whenever it returned from them, and the Custom Shop rep I worked with was a very nice woman with a lot of experience and knowledge. I first purchased mine when they first started hitting the dealers and being an early adopter I kinda thought they would have minor kinks, but mine ran great!

Here's an image of the other side showing the flush cut slide stop notch. Grip color were the same just a different image processing..

Yes, I like that a lot!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I've long thought that the ECO is a close alternative to the EMP. Actually preferable to me, even without my anti-Springfield bias. The ones we bring in are quite cruel in their tempting nature.

I just looked into the ECO. Definitely checks a lot of boxes. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

Had a Brown Special Forces with a similar front/msh treatment they called it chain link II. Very comfortable to shoot in extended South Florida hot humid climates. The grip was great!

Yes, that is what I like. Aggressive front and rear strap texture.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AVG:
I have around 500 rounds thru the gun right now no hang ups, the gun is accurate. Here are three of my 1911's.

Nice lineup. Gives great side by side of EMP & ECO. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
I really like my EMP4 with the carry contour butt. I have a Mitch Rosen American Rear Guard holster that is a work of art. I'm too lazy to carry it every day though; P238 in the pocket is too easy.

Posts: 34 | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:

...I live 200 miles from DFW, but visit just about every weekend. It would be cool to meet and go shooting sometime.

I moved from Tioga County, which is really beautiful. Where did you live previously?

I was born in Monroe County (Rochester). My mom was really the escapee as I was a young lad way back then...moved to SoCal before settling in TX.

Anyway, I shoot with dry-fly every other weekend or so at a local indoor range here in DFW where we are members. If you come up you can go shoot with us. I'll bring my ECO (I carry it anyway) and I think they have an EMP that we can rent. You can do a side by side comparison.

I owned an EMP a number of years ago and really liked the size. It's is probably just right, but I could never shoot it worth a damn. I sold it off, but I'd kinda' like to know if one of us has improved since then...either me or the gun. I'll be happy with either one!

Seriously though, let me know when you come up this way and we'll hook you up. I can't get out to the range any earlier than tomorrow though... Big Grin

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Years ago I bought a 9mm Kimber CDP Ultra.

Had some work done to it by Customized Creations.

Never had a problem with until the EMP came out.
Then I wanted one.

Sold the Kimber and bought an EMP.

Had work done on it by SACS.
First had a front night sight, then a front gold bead sight.

Had Logman mod a couple mags for me.

Carried it for a year or so.

I ended up selling it after realizing I'd rather carry my Glock 26 or 19, Kahr CM9, or Kahr CW 380.

Looking back, I probably should have just kept the Kimber.
The EMP didn't do anything better than the Kimber did.
Neither liked remanufactured ammo.
None of my 9mm 1911s like reman ammo either.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Yea, I forgot to mention logman. He did some Mags for me too.

OP if you get an EMP hit him up on the 1911 forum.

He welds up Mags you send him so they are flush with the bottom of the grip. Lowlife posted a nice pic, notice the two mags on the right.

It drops the round count from 9 to 8, but it really makes it carry even smaller. In the pic I posted, my EMP has a logman mag in it.

I carry a spare 10 round mag from the 4” EMP with the 8 rounder in the gun.

posted Hide Post
Lowlife,

You are killing me! You built what looks like the perfect EMP, then sold it, but not to me. Smile

I really like the mag modifications also.

Great input on this post. Thank you all!