SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield EMP Questions & Comparable
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield EMP Questions & Comparable Login/Join 
posted
I am really beginning to like my P938, except for the two piece guide rod and would like the next size bigger 9 mm in a 1911 platform. I found the Springfield EMP & EMP 4. I really prefer the size of the smaller EMP and appreciate the overall scaled down dimensions of the grip vs. a conventional 1911. The only downsides I found with the EMP is it does not have Front strap checkering and I am not crazy about the slide markings (only aesthetic, but for $1k I should get something pleasing to the eye.

Do any other manufacturers make the scaled down 9mm 1911 similar to the EMP?

What would it cost to add checkering and re-anodize the front strap of an EMP? Recommendations as to who to send it to?

Finally, are quality holsters available for the EMP or comparable?

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Check this out:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/ultra-cdp-ii

Quality holsters are available. I have the EMP in 9 and .40, they both use the same holster. I went with Nightingale Leather. The owner, Kevin Nightingale, is a member here. It's a long wait at 28 weeks but very much worth it, IMO. I believe that a pistol as fine as the 1911 deserves leather though I'm sure some would disagree.

http://shop.nightingaleleather.com/main.sc

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
There is also this recent offering by Wilson Combat. Little bit of a sticker shock for me personally, though:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/edc9-compact/

posted Hide Post
I was all set to get and EMP until I handled a Ruger LW Commander in 9mm. Not quite as tight as the Springfield but more than good enough, cheaper and magazines are easier to find and also cheaper.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
My DW ECO 9mm is my primary belt carry gun.

http://cz-usa.com/product/dw-e...um-sights-7-rd-mags/

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Check this out:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/ultra-cdp-ii

Quality holsters are available. I have the EMP in 9 and .40, they both use the same holster. I went with Nightingale Leather. The owner, Kevin Nightingale, is a member here. It's a long wait at 28 weeks but very much worth it, IMO. I believe that a pistol as fine as the 1911 deserves leather though I'm sure some would disagree.

http://shop.nightingaleleather.com/main.sc

I somehow missed the Kimber Ultra-CDP. Looks like a nice pistol and checks the box for front strap checker. It does look like the pistol is not scaled down to take advantage of the shorter 9 mm round length. Might not be a deal breaker.

I wholly agree with you on leather holsters and I do own one Nightingale, which is pretty sweet. I also own holsters by R. Grizzle (3) and Big River Leather (2). All three make quality holsters! Smile

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is also this recent offering by Wilson Combat. Little bit of a sticker shock for me personally, though:

BEAUTY! Just wish I didn't have to take out a second mortgage to purchase one Wink

Someday....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:

Interesting... Again, looks like it is built on the full-scale 1911 platform, but very nice.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
BEAUTY! Just wish I didn't have to take out a second mortgage to purchase one Wink

Someday....

I'm quite certain at least one member here has one. It was the topic of discussion at some point in the not too distant past.

At that price, I could buy a used car for it. Big Grin

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I sold mine to a forum member here. I sent mine back to Springfield Custom Shop and had them do the front strap and MSH checkering, flush cut slide stop notch, new sights, top and rear slide serrations and round off the bottom butt. It was a great little 1911. In the end, I just preferred commander and full size 1911's, but for a compact 1911 the EMP was a fine pistol.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Emp which i up graded the grips to give you the better hold on the gun. Old and new grips

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
How about the Sig Ultra Compact 1911 in 9mm or .45acp?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own, and shoot both the Kimber Ultra CDP and an EMP 9mm. The Kimber is on a full size grip frame(diameter), unlike the EMP. I have medium sized hands, and the EMP is perfect for my hand. That doesn't mean I plan to sell the Kimber!! Hard to go wrong with either, but I prefer the EMP.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Interesting... Again, looks like it is built on the full-scale 1911 platform, but very nice.

Not sure what you mean with "full-scale", the bbl is 3.5" and the frame is smaller (officer) than the full size (commander/govt) 1911 frame.

It is approx same weight and height as an EMP. About 1/2"+ longer than the EMP (1/2" longer bbl).

By the way, you in DFW? You can shoot mine. Im an escapee also.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Someday....

They offer financing... Big Grin

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I sold mine to a forum member here. I sent mine back to Springfield Custom Shop and had them do the front strap and MSH checkering, flush cut slide stop notch, new sights, top and rear slide serrations and round off the bottom butt. It was a great little 1911. In the end, I just preferred commander and full size 1911's, but for a compact 1911 the EMP was a fine pistol.

Do you recall the price for the custom work, as well as delivery time?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not sure what you mean with "full-scale", the bbl is 3.5" and the frame is smaller (officer) than the full size (commander/govt) 1911 frame.

It is approx same weight and height as an EMP. About 1/2"+ longer than the EMP (1/2" longer bbl).

By the way, you in DFW? You can shoot mine. Im an escapee also.

The EMP has been scaled down to take advantage of the the 9 mm diameter & shorter cartridge length, thus the grip is smaller from front to back and width. Therefore, the trigger, slide release and mag release are a shorter reach. I have sausage hands (very large, meaty, but stubby), so that shorter reach is advantageous for me. Plus, I can obtain a solid grip quicker.

I live 200 miles from DFW, but visit just about every weekend. It would be cool to meet and go shooting sometime.

I moved from Tioga County, which is really beautiful. Where did you live previously?

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Someday....

I'm quite certain at least one member here has one. It was the topic of discussion at some point in the not too distant past.

I have an EMP and an EDC X9. They are not really in the same size category. The EMP is more like a subcompact in the way it carries, and the EDC X9 is like a compact.

The grip is noticeably smaller in all dimensions and makes it disappear. Two different guns really.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AVG:
I have an Emp which i up graded the grips to give you the better hold on the gun. Old and new grips

The new grips look great.

The main spring housing checkering/grooves look plenty aggressive.

Do you shoot it well?

Does it run well?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
quote:

Someday....

I have an EMP and an EDC X9. They are not really in the same size category. The EMP is more like a subcompact in the way it carries, and the EDC X9 is like a compact.

The grip is noticeably smaller in all dimensions and makes it disappear. Two different guns really.

Great input. You confirmed what my hand felt with the EMP vs. standard 1911's. Thank you.

You wouldn't happen to have a P938 for comparison by chance?