SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anybody know why the Greensboro, NC PD ditched their 320s so soon?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody know why the Greensboro, NC PD ditched their 320s so soon? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I just read that the GPD is trading in the 320 for a Gen 5 Glock. Did the chief of police get one of those famous “Glock night on the towns Wink” or were their some kind of issues at play?

Just seems like a pretty short tenure to switch to a completely different system.

Just curious as being a gun nerd I might end up with a 320 and like to know the good and possible bad.

Take care, shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably a combination of things. Glock likely offered them a good deal (they usually do) and depending on when they adopted the 320, they may still be a little stung from the "upgrade". I will say that Sig did what they could to do right by agencies, though, sending them new guns ahead of getting the old ones back. There are a lot of CPO guns out there right now because of this.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
There were issues. I work with a couple of GPD guys off duty.

They actually recieved 3 different batches of 320s in 40 from Sig. The initial batch, given out at the academy had FTE problems. Sig replaced all these guns with new 320s.

The 2nd batch reportedly had FTF AND FTE issues. Sig gathered up all those guns and replaced them with a 3rd batch. IIRC these 320s had the GPD shield laser engraved on top of the slide. I cannot recall the exact issues reported with the 3rd batch.

But it was enough that the firearms staff went to the brass and the decision was made to replace the entire inventory with Gen 5 Glock 17s and 19s.

As far as I know the transition began last month. The officers bought us out of concealment holsters and Pearce grip extensions.

Our lying Sig rep claims that the guns were fine. It was the use of aftermarket extended mags by SRT that was the problem. But you really cant believe a thing he says.

Amyways, after GPD dumped the 320, we have not sold one. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks much.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
I have seen several of these sudden switches. In just about every case it was a matter of the firearms staff not getting the gun they wanted and stirring the pot until it was switched again.

I have seen several times where NLETS messages were sent about issues to get them in the news so that the admin would buckle. I put no faith in these legends of failures.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
It's always interesting to hear the complaints from agency trainers, as I have been one since '95. I saw one dept buy P229s for SRT and Narcotics and S&W M&Ps for road patrol and CID. What craziness.

Just like the Glock 22 issues in the early 2000s, it was always from some oddball dept. I used the G22/M3 combo for a long time, along with many others with no issues. All of a sudden, problems come up and they want to switch. Reminds me of NJSP and their SIG woes.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
In just about every case it was a matter of the firearms staff not getting the gun they wanted and stirring the pot until it was switched again.

Hear him.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was just the opposite for me. After testing the Sig P229, I made this recommendation:
P229 for Patrol.
P220 for SWAT
P225 for Investigators (225s still in production then) and for female officers.
P232 would be optional purchase for BUG.
Result:
P229s for everybody! A kinda win, I guess.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
It was just the opposite for me. After testing the Sig P229, I made this recommendation:
P229 for Patrol.
P220 for SWAT
Result:
I guess all the love for P229, Glock and that 320 thingy, the P226 must be forgotten as a duty weapon. I understand the Glock as a proven duty weapon. The P229 for those who utilize it proficiently in duty, but what ever happened to the LEO holstered P226 ? Not the multi colored P226. Not the Legions. Not all the Combats or engravements. The well built P226 which was relied on as a duty weapon. What's wrong with a P226 ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 5 of these things. All except one bought and subsequently upgraded by me. So I have used them pre and post. One of the five had some malfunctions in the first two boxes of ammo. Cheap ammo to boot. After that mild teething issue I have yet to experience any further malfunctions in any of the other guns using the cheapest russian ammo I can find. So a minimum couple cases through in the last year or so. Zero issues.

My opinion is that the 320 is perfectly acceptable to anyone that wants a striker fired gun. Post upgrade it is a fine handgun.

I take these "issues" with a grain of salt. Totally believe what the guy above said. Agendas are powerful things.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have seen several of these sudden switches. In just about every case it was a matter of the firearms staff not getting the gun they wanted and stirring the pot until it was switched again.

I have seen several times where NLETS messages were sent about issues to get them in the news so that the admin would buckle. I put no faith in these legends of failures.

I would say that there is a lot of truth in this. The 320 is a generally reliable design that had a few teething issues (one really serious, of course). But it's more than capable as a reliable service pistol. I may not favor one over a Glock and I do dislike the action of the 320 X-5 and V-Tac triggers, but the basic design is sound and nearly bulletproof.

That said, an armorer does have to do more to earn his keep when dealing with the trigger group on the SIG. Jus' sayin', 'cause it ain't no Glock when it comes to utter simplicity.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They dumped the 320 and you have to ask? Lol Sig is a far cry from what it used to be, and it's a damn shame. Especially considering the P365, such a great pistol but plagued with issues.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
P229 for Patrol.
P220 for SWAT
Result:
I guess all the love for P229, Glock and that 320 thingy, the P226 must be forgotten as a duty weapon. I understand the Glock as a proven duty weapon. The P229 for those who utilize it proficiently in duty, but what ever happened to the LEO holstered P226 ? Not the multi colored P226. Not the Legions. Not all the Combats or engravements. The well built P226 which was relied on as a duty weapon. What's wrong with a P226 ?

I just think it is because DA/SA systems have fallen from grace for general issue to the troops.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
What's wrong with a P226 ?

Nothing. Not a darn thing.

As for the 320; I have seven of them, shot them before the "upgrade," shot them after. I've yet to see a hiccup or malfunction. I've been running them at steel shoots, and while I can't hit the broadside of a barn, the pistols run without fault, for whatever that's worth.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Ok to be open and honest - I’m a Glock guy - carries them for over 27 years and carry them st work. I had two P320’s I traded a while ago because the grip angle is so different from the Glock one I’m so used to. That being said it’s a fine Firearms - the company itself irritates me with how it responds...

Of course the design with the removable chassis is so cool I had to pick up a used one...

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
In just about every case it was a matter of the firearms staff not getting the gun they wanted and stirring the pot until it was switched again.

Hear him.

Exactly my thoughts. I can see getting a couple problem pistols in a batch. But 3 batches? And then switching from .40 to 9mm? Not buying it was any problem with the pistols themselves.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
700 P226 DA/SA in Toledo. With a few 239s for Captains and above. All in .40
When we had 9s, the standard was a 228, a 225 available for those with small paws.
Of interest, TPD orders the 226 without a rail, so nobody can use a weapon light. SWAT has 226s with rails and lights.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We looked hard at the 226. It was a top contender. But I strongly emphasized that I wanted the duty gun to serve as off duty gun too. The 229s size made it more suitable for all around carry. In the end I let all the patrol guys vote and the 229 won.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
700 P226 DA/SA in Toledo. With a few 239s for Captains and above. All in .40
When we had 9s, the standard was a 228, a 225 available for those with small paws.
Of interest, TPD orders the 226 without a rail, so nobody can use a weapon light. SWAT has 226s with rails and lights.
Very nice LT and a non railed model to boot.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We looked hard at the 226. It was a top contender. But I strongly emphasized that I wanted the duty gun to serve as off duty gun too. The 229s size made it more suitable for all around carry. In the end I let all the patrol guys vote and the 229 won.

Now that right there is a novel idea. Let the men who are going to carry the gun 8-12 hours a day decide which gun they want to carry. Allowing the rank and file a role in the decision making process. Unheard of. Seriously, not busting your chops.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post