SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .45 GAP. Would you?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 GAP. Would you? Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
If the .45 GAP ammo was as common and as cheap as say .40, would you consider it? Is that the reason the vast majority of shooters don't even notice it?

If you could get a P226/P229 that shot .45 GAP and the ammo was common and cheap? Would you?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Glock 37 and it is one of my most accurate stock guns. Shooting a 45 caliber in a 9mm size frame helps. I reload the GAP so the cost of ammo is not much different then othe larger caliber reloads. If Sig made the 226 in the GAP I would get one.

Posts: 55 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
If the .45 GAP ammo was as common and as cheap as say .40, would you consider it? Is that the reason the vast majority of shooters don't even notice it?

I suspect most shooters don't bother with it because they figure it's a solution in search of a problem.

quote:
If you could get a P226/P229 that shot .45 GAP and the ammo was common and cheap? Would you?

Nope.

I'd be more likely to get a P220, or just about anything else in .45 ACP, before I'd buy anything in .45 GAP.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

I suspect most shooters don't bother with it because they figure it's a solution in search of a problem.

quote:

Nope.

I'd be more likely to get a P220, or just about anything else in .45 ACP, before I'd buy anything in .45 GAP.

This is it for me too. I see it as a solution in search of a problem. For me, it has 0 benefit over the .45 ACP, and costs more to boot.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've always liked the idea of the .45GAP. .45ACP power in a 9mm/.40S&W-sized gun seemed pretty good to me. Nowadays I wouldn't bother with it because a good, modern JHP in any of the service calibers will work, and 9mm is much more common and cheaper than .45GAP.

However, if .45GAP was as common and cheap as 9mm, I would be very interested in a Sig P239 in .45GAP. I think that would make for an intriguing package.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
45-ACP is good enough for me....

Posts: 36 | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mess with it.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
My urban carry guns are 5" 1911s in either .45 ACP or 10mm. My remote rural carry guns are a Glock G35 .40 S&W or a Glock G40 MOS 10mm. I see no reason for the .45 GAP to exist.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would. A P226 chambered/modified to accept a ten round mag. I like non standard calibers.

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No desire for the caliber. The newer Glock sf models killed the 45 gap. The sf models have a smaller frame/grip/circumference and feel good. The downside about the 45 gap is that there is really nothing you can convert in into,unlike other caliber models- 40 to 9mm,etc..

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
If ammo wasn't so obscure, yes Id consider it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted a similar question a while back. My main motivation was the chance of getting the gun dirt cheap. The hive pointed out the down side so I passed.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I guess it would be good for people with smaller hands or if they made a subcompact pistol around it.

I had a 45 GAP a while back when I found the upper for cheap. Then I found some parts for a Desert Eagle that I traded the 45 GAP for.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
There just doesn't seem to be anything to be gained by going to the GAP. Even a cheap pistol would be a PITA to feed.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I carry a SIG 250sc in .45ACP. I don't see that GAP would benefit much in size reduction.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the .45 GAP ammo was as common and as cheap as say .40, would you consider it?

No. For me, trying to keep the amount of different ammo down. Have .22, .38, 9mm and .45acp. nuff

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I would not.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If it were as common and as cheap as .40, then yes I would.

But as it stands now, no I would not.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't touch a 45 GAP with a ten foot pole. Or a twenty foot pole. It's a solution to a non-existent problem, like some of the "short magnums" that don't feed well in bolt rifles. Some things are even stupid in the gun industry. Just look at some of the weird stupid shit that has come out of Taurus in the last few years. The 45 GAP seems like those kinds of things to me. Never gave it a second thought.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like odd calibers, but 45 GAP would never be a choice for me.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post