SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P320 issues with Canadian JTF-2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P320 issues with Canadian JTF-2 Login/Join 
Picture of bshnt 2015
posted
FYI in case you have some holster issues with your pistol.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politi...es-pistols-1.5897942

Posts: 250 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The article that you linked flatly claims that the P320 has a history of discharges without the trigger being pulled (see below). Although that was true of some guns that were dropped prior to the upgrade modifications, it states that other discharges have occurred without the guns being dropped, and that has not been demonstrated as being true to my knowledge. Are you aware of any such proof?

“The SIG P320, which has been manufactured since 2014, is known to go off without the trigger being pulled, or if it's dropped and lands on the ground at a certain angle.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig has stated that the problem is a modified P226 holster not designed for the P320. Look at The firearm blog article.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bshnt 2015
posted Hide Post
From Soldier Systems

hence my original mention of "holster"

https://soldiersystems.net/202...-cansofcom-incident/

Posts: 250 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People who hate the 320, really hate the 320. I had 5 of them at one point because people kept selling them for stupid low prices after the “upgrade” fiasco. It’s a great gun. Hard not to shoot it well. Of course I also tend to use actual 320 holsters, but I’m not an operator.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article in the OP was dated Feb 4. Here's one from Feb 5 where Sig blames the 226 holster.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politi...ng-holster-1.5903723

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Y'know, I seem to recall a guy here on this very forum a couple years back who had a ND from cramming a gun into a holster not made for it.

Hint: It's a bad idea. Don't do that.

That's operator error, not a problem with the gun.

Edit: Yep, here it is. Guy tried to cram his P320 X-Compact into a SP2022 holster and blew the tip of his finger off: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1160027954/p/1

It ain't rocket science... Don't shove a P320 into a P226 holster. Don't shove a P320 into a SP2022 holster. Shove a P320 into a P320 holster.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do people blindly hate some brands/models of guns? I have preferences, others prefer different stuff. Make your choice and leave other folks alone. If the 320 has problem, trust me, we'll hear about it because GI's are now issued them.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
People who hate the 320, really hate the 320.

Yep. And I'm good with it. More for me.

quote:
Yep, here it is. Guy tried to cram his P320 X-Compact into a SP2022 holster and blew the tip of his finger off:

So he not only tried to force the gun into an incorrect holster, but also somehow managed to put his finger in front of the muzzle in the process? Sometimes "you're doing it wrong" just ain't descriptive enough...

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not trust any striker fired pistol that does not have an actual safety lever or functioning grip safety due to the risk of accidental discharge while bolstering. Thus, I will never own one. I know millions of people disagree with me, but that is my own personal level of risk tolerance.

That said, how can you blame the gun if you are intentionally mishandling it? I am sure you can find other pistols that would discharge if you forced them into or carried them in a holster designed for another pistol. To do so is complete negligence/stupidity. The Canadian claims are absurd on face.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^No 'Functioning Grip Safety' that I'm aware of will prevent an accidental/negligent discharge while holstering.

Only YOU can prevent negligent discharges... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m a 320 hater, but this is a real square peg round hole situation. A passive safety only striker fired pistol needs to be handled with care.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although striker-fired, the P320 amounts to a single action pistol with a light trigger, without a safety; it calls for some care in handling. No more than basic standard handling practices are required, but those must be observed. Anything that gets in that trigger guard, enough to depress the trigger, will discharge the firearm. It's that simple.

Despite law suits and a plethora of reports of the pistol magically discharging itself, one has yet to materialize which actually appears as such. Instead, there are ample cases of poor handling, incorrect holsters, failure to look at the holster when reholstering and other practices that have allowed something to enter the trigger guard and manipulate the trigger.

I have had one negligent discharge with the P320, accounted here in the past. It certainly wasn't the pistol's fault. It was mine. I thought the pistol was empty. It was not. I dry fired into a stack of MRE's when clearing the pistol, and it wasn't a dry fire. MRE's do an unsatisfactory job of containing a 9mm round, incidentally. My P320's are only carried in P320 holsters.

To date, every reported case of unintentional discharge, barring those prior to the "upgrade," have been user error.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
[P]ractices that have allowed something to enter the trigger guard and manipulate the trigger.

That is why I stress to my students the need for care in holstering as one of the many rules of safe gun handling. Recognition of the need won’t prevent all unintentional discharges, but hopefully it will prevent some.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I must be doing something wrong... I went to a four day defensive hand gun class with a brand new P320 and put close to 700 rounds through it and not only did not shoot myself or anyone else but never had a malfunction of any kind.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIG probably put a lot more than 700 rounds through that gun in that holster trying to replicate the inadvertent discharge. The last I read, they had not managed it.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I must be doing something wrong... I went to a four day defensive hand gun class with a brand new P320 and put close to 700 rounds through it and not only did not shoot myself or anyone else but never had a malfunction of any kind.

That means you're 700 rounds closer to your gun exploding in the night. Best to store it at least 16 feet away, with at least 12 feet of concrete between you and the pistol.

It will be tough to carry that way, but safety first.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Kind of like the NRA telling me that I need to store all my guns unloaded and locked away.......

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^No 'Functioning Grip Safety' that I'm aware of will prevent an accidental/negligent discharge while holstering.

Only YOU can prevent negligent discharges... Wink

Sure it will. If you act like you are riding the hammer while holstering, you will release the grip safety.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, they moved from BHP's to the P320 and someone touched off a round? Sounds like they learned poor trigger discipline on the BHP's and relied on the manual safety a little too much.

But did the Canucks get M17/M18 manual safety pistols or non-safety ones? I haven't heard of any issues with the M17/M18 with regard to "unintentional" discharges since they had the lightened trigger and added disconnector from the get go.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post