SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Concealed Carry while cycling and running
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed Carry while cycling and running Login/Join 
Picture of frogger
posted
In the last couple of months, I have been actively trying to get back into a shape other than round and have started walking/running and cycling. I've built up my fitness just enough now that I'm going on long enough bike rides or walks that I want to start carrying concealed. In my normal, day to day life, I carry concealed pretty much 100% of the time that I'm not in my office, but wearing running shorts and *groan* cycling shorts, there is not belt to support the weight. I was wondering what you guys/gals do for this solution. I have a Ruger LCP I can use, but I just need a good way to carry it concealed that won't pull my pants down when I run.

Some ideas I've been considering that I'd like feedback on...

1. Belly Band. Seems pretty good for cycling and walking but not sure if it would start to move and come down while running. Also concerned about the amount of sweat getting on my gun.

2. Fanny Pack. Might be the best solution, but same concern about it sliding down while running and just looking goofy, though I can get over that.

3. One of those compression shirts with a holster built in. Seems like it might be good too, but again concerned about the sweat.

For the sweat concern, I realize I can just clean the gun more often, and if it starts to cause major problems, it isn't like an LCP is that expensive of a gun that I'm potentially damaging over time, but wanted to see if anyone had better solutions.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can provide.

••••••••••••••••••••
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5409 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: November 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9280089114

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used an Uncle Mike's fanny pack when I was riding. I once ended up with a Glock 19 shaped bruise on my belly once, though, when I face-planted on the bike.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SmartCarry. www.smartcarry.com.

Seriously.

I used to run 2-3 miles a day, and also make trips to a very busy gym carrying a full size M&P40 or a P320 Compact and a reload with this thing. Worn tight enough, it doesn't bounce at all. It sits right on top of your important bits, so the muzzle is typically clear of flagging any part of your body while it's holstered.

I would suggest not getting the "security model" with the pocket for valuables, as it adds depth and the point of the holster is obviously for deep concealment.

I ordered 2 of them in 2 different sizes and it took longer than expected to ship. The owner of the company (its a one man deal) called me personally and told me he had a delay in matrials delivery and was shipping the holsters next day air for free. That's a business I can get behind.

While I'm not running that much anymore (I know, I know) I still wear my SmartCarry with a G19 or a Shield whenever I wear something without a belt.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smart Carry, and it works great.

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Belly band works great for running. I carry a G42 while walking and running with it. Wipe down the gun when you get back home.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Smart Carry, work the same caveat about the security model. I don't like the security model as much because it is wider and it's not as concealable on me because of that. It's slightly less comfortable for biking, but doable. I've worn mine on a road bike with pretty aggressive geometry without issue.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have an arm wrap thing that is made for an iPod. I modified it to hold my Kahr 380. It goes around my bicep (Velcro). Best way I've found so far.

The holster shirts from 5.11 are REALLY hot! I bought one for work and I sweat like crazy just sitting at my desk, so I abondoned it. Trying to work out in it would be brutal!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a camelback which I am carrying anyway

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Any decent gym shorts have a draw string you can tie tight. It's plenty to secure any lightweight handgun IWB. I've been carrying this way while hiking for years.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frogger:
In the last couple of months, I have been actively trying to get back into a shape other than round and have started walking/running and cycling. I've built up my fitness just enough now that I'm going on long enough bike rides or walks that I want to start carrying concealed. In my normal, day to day life, I carry concealed pretty much 100% of the time that I'm not in my office, but wearing running shorts and *groan* cycling shorts, there is not belt to support the weight. I was wondering what you guys/gals do for this solution. I have a Ruger LCP I can use, but I just need a good way to carry it concealed that won't pull my pants down when I run.

Some ideas I've been considering that I'd like feedback on...

1. Belly Band. Seems pretty good for cycling and walking but not sure if it would start to move and come down while running. Also concerned about the amount of sweat getting on my gun.

2. Fanny Pack. Might be the best solution, but same concern about it sliding down while running and just looking goofy, though I can get over that.

3. One of those compression shirts with a holster built in. Seems like it might be good too, but again concerned about the sweat.

For the sweat concern, I realize I can just clean the gun more often, and if it starts to cause major problems, it isn't like an LCP is that expensive of a gun that I'm potentially damaging over time, but wanted to see if anyone had better solutions.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can provide.

Remora or Sticky for IWB under a T-shirt for compact or subcompact size.

Rarely a fanny pack for a subcompact 320. Don't like something that is not tight on the body.

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post