SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Milling a Glock slide for MOS cut?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milling a Glock slide for MOS cut? Login/Join 
posted
Im thinking of sending a Glock 21 to get milled for a red dot.

Would it be a stupid idea to get the slide milled to the glock mos specs? My thinking is I never know what red dots will come out in the future. I know I would need an adapter plate but I would always have the option to convert to another red dot.

If I would mill for a trijicon rmr I feel I would be locked in.

Thoughts?

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The big complaint about the MOS system is that it raises the height of the optic due to the plate and the plates are fragile. I have not had the latter problem and the former doesn't bother me. But I bet the number of people who do that milling is pretty small(don't know have not searched). Does glock not offer an MOS 21 slide if that's what you really want? But in any case the RMR is the best of the dots right now, and lots of other stuff use their footprint and IMO will continue to do so, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting one milled to the RMR footprint.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anybody even do this? It seems like with the proliferation of good aftermarket MOS plates that there would be a market for it. I don't know that I've ever seen it.

If you otherwise want to go modular, look at Agency Arms' AOS.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm a little surprised, given the popularity of the MOS system, that optics makers aren't offering red dots that will mount directly to the MOS cut, with no intermediate plate.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'm a little surprised, given the popularity of the MOS system, that optics makers aren't offering red dots that will mount directly to the MOS cut, with no intermediate plate.

The military standardized to the 1913 rail, and most everyone else has. The military selected M-Lok over Keymod, so things are standardizing there as well. Aimpoint's 4-screw micro mount pattern is used by many other red dot companies, but notably not Trijicon with the MRO.

Open red dot sights for pistol are just all over the place. First were the Doctor and JPoint patterns, then the RMR, and now the DPP. Since the military selected the DPP for the M17/M18 I would hope that pattern becomes a standard. Trijicon has a bigger installed base with the RMR and is the "standard" ability to take abuse, so really, it should have become the standard. And now with the 43X/48 MOS and P365 XL the RMSc pattern seems to be standardizing for small pistols. Except Trijicon's RMRcc introduced yet another new pattern.

Infuriating, isn't it?

Buy an aftermarket slide with the cut of your choice, if you want to change, buy another aftermarket slide.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anybody even do this?

according to a quick search I see a couple that show it, but no idea if thats actually real or the tradeoffs. example..https://chpws.com/product/glock-slide-optic-milling

I'm totally committed to RMR's at the moment so I don't care too much about the risks as I can't see trijicon abandoning that pattern and many others also use it.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Or you can play the MOS game (or the same with other gun brands) and deal with plates. I like the concept of not being locked into one brands pattern.

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:

The military standardized to the 1913 rail, and most everyone else has. The military selected M-Lok over Keymod, so things are standardizing there as well. Aimpoint's 4-screw micro mount pattern is used by many other red dot companies, but notably not Trijicon with the MRO.

Open red dot sights for pistol are just all over the place. First were the Doctor and JPoint patterns, then the RMR, and now the DPP. Since the military selected the DPP for the M17/M18 I would hope that pattern becomes a standard. Trijicon has a bigger installed base with the RMR and is the "standard" ability to take abuse, so really, it should have become the standard. And now with the 43X/48 MOS and P365 XL the RMSc pattern seems to be standardizing for small pistols. Except Trijicon's RMRcc introduced yet another new pattern.

Infuriating, isn't it?

Buy an aftermarket slide with the cut of your choice, if you want to change, buy another aftermarket slide.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Agency Arms AOS cut. It’s a plate that’s better than Glock and future proof. Plus you can put the sights in front of the optic.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So let's see. mill it for a cut from a small company been in business a very short time or pick (if its actually available) a generic MOS cut from the mfg who makes millions of them with a huge aftermarket of suppliers to cope with issues and new optics. Not sure I'd be recommending AOS to the OP's question.
And as a side note the sight in front doesn't make any sense to me either.

Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
The suggestion to buy another market slide depends on your Glock. Been seeking a backup slide for a Glock 29SF and Glock doesn't sell them. I have tried several other potential sources and have zero luck. I have seen Suarez offer them for 17s and other models bit not for a 29SF. Wish Block would sell a second slide so one could be stock-original and a second for an optic.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many when faced with that issue just buy the whole gun and part out what they don't need. ends up mostly the same as if there was a slide available. And while this is a gun that I don't have it so I wouldn't actually know, its very uncommon in my experience on glocks that if you look seriously you can't find any OEM part even if its from someone parting out guns for money.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
Agency Arms AOS cut. It’s a plate that’s better than Glock and future proof. Plus you can put the sights in front of the optic.

The AOS is not available for the wide slide glocks i.e. my 21.

I tried a quick search for replacement slides and Im not seeing too much. The aftermarket ones I see are double the cost of milling

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think one of the biggest issues there is that the cut itself is too long for the optic. This is necessary to account for the variety in optic dimensions when you have a plate system. The problem with setting up an optic with the MOS screw pattern is that you're then stuck expecting the fasteners to hold the optic down and in place laterally with recoil. This becomes very stressful on the screws and it's also likely less repeatable as far as zero goes.

Most competent milling jobs and aftermarket plates include fixed recoil bosses that index the optic and hold it in place laterally, taking some of the load off the fasteners. Alternatively, some opt for a very tightly milled pocket and secure the optic laterally that way. The potential downside there is with variations in dimensions between samples. Finally, you have a few (Brownells slides come to mind) that use a combination recoil boss and screw shaft that is basically using a raised boss that is threaded to accept the screws. The downsides here are that the screws are "non-standard" so to speak since they have to be smaller in diameter and secondary to that, are probably less durable. An upside would be getting access to more threads and probably being a little more secure.

Holosun has shown a prototype sight that fits the MOS cut that you can read about here:
www.recoilweb.com/prototype-ho...-at-shot-157096.html

Still not on the horizon, but an interesting concept.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would mill for RMR direct fit (no adapter plates).
And probably use an aftermarket slide.
Lone Wolf Development is the only source that I know of that produces Glock large frame slides with the OEM "look".

I have one and they are well done, but they are not always in stock.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Agency Arms AOS system - like the MOS but far better made and future proofs your gun. Had it done to my G17 for duty use and will never look back. Then we sent 12 guns from our SWAT team - all very well done. It’s a 12 week turnaround but the best system I’ve seen.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That just changes who you are depending on for a future solution. I'd take glock MOS all day long. That's not to say AOS isn't an improvement over a dedicated mill, it may well be.

posted Hide Post
Very, very happy with Agency Arms’ AOS on my G45.

Also, very happy with ATEI milled slide for an RMR.

Posts: 173 | Location: boston | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post