SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cerakote sig controls? anyone had it done? advisable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cerakote sig controls? anyone had it done? advisable? Login/Join 
posted
is this a good idea? anyone done it to the controls to get nickel look on controls or fresh black controls?

Posts: 22 | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I've used CCR here on the forum a few years back. Great folks, turn around times, product, and pricing.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
If you want to get nickel look, I would suggest getting an actual electroless nickel finish, which CCR does.

Metallic finishes don't translate well with applied coatings.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CCR!

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have never used Cerakote, however, I have had the controls refinished in electroless nickel plate by CCR and their work was excellent.

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like that look .

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of brobert225
posted Hide Post
Get them plated if you are OCD. The Ceracoat will wear.

Posts: 1835 | Location: KY | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug (coyotekiller) coated my P229SAS controls in grey......excellent job. He's also done a couple of my slides. I've also used CCR for a couple slides. Doug's work is impeccable.....He does most any color.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sig protects my life, home, and family....."God guards my soul"

Posts: 1477 | Location: owensboro, ky | Registered: December 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I had 2 gun controls replated in CCR's CPII (Electroless Nickel / Boron Nitride).

Controls and slide.

Controls..

Sent the slide back in and had it done..

They did Cerahide controls on this one..
Well, trigger, slide stop, and take down lever..

Converted it to DA/SA..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'm 90% sure CCR refinished this 229 for me, several years back. I've shot and carried it quite a bit and the black controls have held up very well. I think electroless is THE way to go, but cerakote seems to hold up OK too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys lots of useful info. Love this site!

Posts: 22 | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Controls refinished by CCR in "Sig Black" Cera-Hide:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
If you care about the color of your controls sure cerakote it. I wouldn't because when it rubs off you will see it and pay to get it touched up.

You would be better off using that money for bullets and range time, as there is no performance increase and years down the line you cannot sell it a new with Cerakote on it.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I chased down the nickel controls for mine. Took about four weeks. If you want to sell yours later, you can always put your minty controls back on and keep the extra ones for later or sell them as a set.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
You would be better off using that money for bullets and range time, as there is no performance increase and years down the line you cannot sell it a new with Cerakote on it.

"Performance increase" may be a matter of interpretation. I would not expect any parts to be necessarily smoother in operation, but I had some rust issues on my controls, and coated them to help prevent that.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post