SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield XDM opinions please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield XDM opinions please. Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
What is the consensus on this pistol? Did I see someone on here post something about them not holding up under high round count? Thank you.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consensus? I only have one man's opinion (mine).

They're marketed and sold by a reprehensible company that threw its state's gun shops and citizens under the flaming liberals' bus.

Their initial CC design--the XDS--had a serious issue with the trigger bar dislodging from the grip safety, discovered during long-term live fire testing. That caused those guns to develop slam fire and burst fire issues. To date I've not heard or read of any such issues involving the grip safety with the XD or XDM models. As for other durability issues with high round counts; that I am not aware of, though mainly because I don't have much interest in following that company's products.

I don't know if this has been discussed previously, but I will say that as for their latest striker, the Hellcat, I don't get how they could let that one out onto market, especially after watching what the P365 went through.

Inadvertently discovered that with only minimal lateral 'force' applied to the trigger (it doesn't take much), the geometry of trigger shoe travel will be thrown off enough to prevent the trigger from pulling to break, effectively giving the operator a dead (stopped) trigger. I realize that in a perfect world there shouldn't be ANY lateral pressure on the shoe during a trigger pull, but that can't be counted on in all situations, like when someone is about to be a victim of an attack and is in desperate straits, trying to draw their gun in an attempt to save his or her ass when there's a knife-wielding attacker coming at them. That's not a time to rudely discover that your trigger isn't obliging your command.

Next time you see a Hellcat in a gun shop display case, try this for yourself. Every one of those wretched things that has come through our shop since I discovered this exhibits this serious stoppage flaw.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have SA XDM pistols in .40 S&W and 10mm. Love them.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an XDM 5.25 when they first came out. I probably have 5000 or more rounds through it and never had a single problem. No matter what I’m taking to the range I will always bring this gun.

When they pulled their stupid political moves I thought about selling it but they already got my money. It’s one of my favorite guns to shoot so I’m not getting rid of it anytime soon.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had a problem with any Springfield products. My first gun I ever purchased was a subcompact XD40 and it always functioned well even though it was very unpleasant to shoot. Since I have had numerous XDMs, XDS’s, etc and all have been great shooting guns.

They have had some political issues that leave a bad taste in people’s mouths, but their guns in my experience have always been great for me

Posts: 1300 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Political issues aside, I've gone through quite a few XDM's, to include all four calibers, and all older models (no new elite, or OSP pistols).

I like them, and they shoot great for me, especial with a trigger kit in the 9mm 5.25. Recently got rid of my last XDM 4.5.

Never had an issue with any of them, no matter the caliber or size. The 3.8 Compact in .40 is still one of my carry pistols, and the one I've shot the most, and the one I like the best.

Picked up a 10mm 5.25 when they were first released, and it is ok, just can't seem to love it though, nor hit consistently with it.

I like the XDM, just don't love them anymore. A VP9 long slide gets the attention the 9mm 5.25 used to. Even with the PRP trigger kit in the 5.25, the VP9 shoots better for me.

I've never read of any reliability issues with them (nor have I had any with mine), but I have heard a lot of new shooter have a issue with XDM trigger control for some reason (always hitting low left). Don't have this issue with the 3.8, nor the 9mm.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an XDM in a 4.5 barrel 9mm. It has a factory marked match barrel. It is extremely accurate. I bought it before Springfield made their deal with the devil.

Posts: 12582 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owne xdm with 4.5 and 5.25 barrels in 9mm.
In my experience they were just as reliable and accurate as any pistol I have shot, but I did not like the balance and how it felt in my hands.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an XDM 5.25" 10mm. I like the gun in general but the trigger is so-so.

I like the ergos and form-factor. SA did a good job of making a large gun not feel like a 2x4 in the hand.

Its a decent gun to be sure. I can't say I shoot the snot out of it but in the shooting I've done reliabilty has been 100%.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the 4.5 suppressor ready 9mm and currently have a two tone 3.8. Neither have failed me and both have been carried extensively and shoot factory or my reloads fine.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never a problem with my 10 y.o. XD,

But may I ask what you like about the xds ?

Are you considering a purchase?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a big Springfield fan these days, but I do have a few of their 1911's, M1's, etc.

The XDM I've thought about, had friends that loved them, haven't picked one up, but have several XDS in different flavors. Those have held up fine, though admittedly I haven't beaten them up.

The Croation pistols seem to be fine in my experience. The triggers feel mushy. Powder river makes a spring kit, and Precision Overwatch makes a trigger for them.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I've never had the first ounce of trouble from my 12+ year old XDM.
Or my 4" XD either, for that matter.

It's been my experience that the XDM is no more prone to fail that any other pistol out there.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not particularly accurate. Don't particularly feel good in the hand. The trigger is the very definition of "meh".

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I know some competition shooters at my gun club who I have a good deal of respect for that compete with them and do very well. A good buddy has an XD (not M) that he's owned for years and it has been very reliable for him. He sent his to the SA custom shop and it actually has a very nice trigger.

I don't have any reliability complaints about them, but they just don't do it for me. Il Cattivo summed up my opinion of them pretty succinctly. They're serviceable guns, and if they work for you, then by all means go for it. For me, though, there are way better options out there in that category for the money (P320, Glock, CZ just to name a few).

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I have a 10-year old XDm in .40. It was my first "polymer-framed" pistol. When purchased, the "m" supposedly meant "match" as in the chamber. The chamber is definitely tight (like a match chamber) and I had to tighten up on my QC for the reloads. I've shot quite a few thousand rounds thru this gun. The pistol is very accurate and, as long as my reloads are well within spec, has been flawless!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the XD's a lot. I have or have had over a dozen XD's including 6 XDM's. They shoot very well for me despite a mushy trigger. I Powder River Trigger and/or Spring kit improves them a great deal but they aren't up to say a P220 Match trigger.

I've NEVER had any issues with any of my XD's, they have been FAR more reliable with ZERO malfunctions other than failure to stay open on last shot that weren't due to bad ammo and those might be ammo related anyway. I have 10's of thousands of rounds through them.

I find their grip angle (same as a 1911) more familiar to me since I tend to shoot a lot of different pistols. This in contrast to Glocks which have a more severe grip angle. If you shoot a lot of Glocks you might stay with a Glock. If you've shot a lot of 1911's you might very well prefer a XDM.

I like the grip safety. In regular shooting you never notice it and it helps with accidental discharges etc.

The two Hellcats I have required about 2 minutes apiece to fix the trigger issue above. IMO it's a non issue for anybody with the tiniest bit of skill and a nail file.

Magazines are reasonably priced, not as cheap as Glock and not as many aftermarkets than Glock but cheaper than H&K's and other pistols I own.

All in all I'm a big fan. The XDM 45 holding 13 rounds and will feed almost ANY 45 has a huge firepower, Safety and reliability OTB over 1911's in General. In my mind for self defense it's a no brainer choice over a 1911 for most people. That being said a well tuned 1911 has a far better trigger and "CAN" be reliable when properly tuned but properly tuned can mean 2-3 times the price of an XDM. This is probably a statement that a lot will take offense at but if you disagree, go buy a 1911 for under $1000 and an XDM for $700ish and shoot 10 different kinds of HP 45 Auto and see which you get ZERO malfunctions with.

There ARE lots of good pistols now. I think XD's are one of them. A new buyer should just go to a good range rent a Glock, XDM, S&W M&P, H&K and a Walther and buy the one that shoots best for you. I could be perfectly happy with any of them but I do shoot XDM's FAR more than the others........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 1000% pleased with mine. I purchased all of mine before the whole thing of course.

I've got a 4.5" XDM45 in the night stand, it's stock with a TLR-1s light on it.

I've got a 4.5" XDM40 (my only .40) that I bought during the Obama era so I could actually keep shooting and not burn up my good calibers.

I've got a pimped out 4.5" XDM9 with all the Powder River goodies on it I've been using in IDPA for years. When all the worked G34's and M&P 9 Pro's are crapping the bed for whatever reason during a match, the XDM's always seem to truck right along.

I even build a clone to my race gun but in the 3.8SC variety I carried for years till I switched to single stack.

I also keep a stock (with weaponlight) 4.5" XDM9 in my vehicle generally. A lot to be said for being proficient with a platform and standardizing.

To recap, all of mine have been rock solid reliable and well made, I can't complain especially for the prices I was able to buy them for. I have however in later years begun to transistion over to Walthers. Not because the XDM's have failed me...I guess you could call it wandering eyes, boredom, etc.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an XDS and it was a great shooter. The only downside for me was the "tang", as on a Glock without the extended beaver tail add-on, I would get slide bite if I grabbed it wrong. I tried to use it for ccw but couldn't due to that reason. A shame really as it was a nice shooting gun and I really liked it. I also had one of the "grip zone" models but it had a strange recoil feel that I contribute to the taller slide profile. It felt great in the hand but I couldn't shoot it well,so I sold it to a friend who fell in love with it.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have a good opinion of SA guns. I have an M1A made in 2009, I have a couple of 1911 pistols made in 2001 and 2010 and they have all been fine. I have owned and sold a couple of XDM's to friends and they haven't had any problems. I currently own a XDM-9 5.25 that I shot in IDPA and USPSA that has never had any issues. I put the Powder River trigger parts in it and just shot it. I also own a Hellcat and it has worked perfect. These guns to me are as good as S&W, Walter, Glock. etc.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post