SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P238 Tye III Low brass Malfunctions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P238 Tye III Low brass Malfunctions Login/Join 
posted
I bought a new P238 HD for my wife for Christmas. I took it to the range twice this week with three different types of ball ammo and three different magazines. First two to three rounds fire fine but always has a FTF after that. The feed ramp does not seem to be polished well out of the box. The spent rounds have a scar on the last third of the casing. I have looked many other discussions that all seem to have different opinions. I am disappointed with a new gun having so many problems. I have cleaned and oiled it three times. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 5 | Registered: December 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask indexing the magazines seems rough.

posted Hide Post
I have about 100 rounds through it so far. I don’t think this is a break in problem

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I have no solution for you, but a week ago I spoke to someone that is having the same issue with a P938. Fires two or three rounds and then fails to chamber after that.

My guess would be a magazine feeding issue.

I'll be interested to see what turns up here.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you disassembled and cleaned the magazines and reassembled them bone dry? No lube whatsoever.

What happens if you only load three rounds in the magazine?

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also suggest at least another hundred rounds through the pipe. Don't remember this being an issue with my previous semi's

"I won't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Posts: 29 | Location: TX | Registered: October 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mags are brand new. One factory. Two additional sig 7 round mags. I have tried just loading 4-5 rounds in the mags. Same problem

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GP229:
Unfortunately, I have no solution for you, but a week ago I spoke to someone that is having the same issue with a P938. Fires two or three rounds and then fails to chamber after that.

My guess would be a magazine feeding issue.

I'll be interested to see what turns up here.[/QUOT

Thanks I’ll keep you posted.

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Hello Drshale, your mention of the scar on the case may be an indicator of what is causing the malfunctions. I've not had a 238, but have occasionally run into the same issue with other semi autos. Sometimes the breakover point at the top of the feed ramp is left a little sharp, rather than being slightly smoothed/rounded at the point where the round is breaking over to enter the chamber. This will sometimes cause a stoppage, and leave a mark on the cartridge case. This can occur even if the feed ramp and chamber are both properly polished. Just something to have a look at.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I can only suggest that you call SIG CS and describe the problem. FWIW, the feed ramp and chamber of my P238 were very nicely polished.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might try polishing the feed ramp with some jewelers rouge and a dremel with a felt wheel. You can get a mirror finish with this combo.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post