SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So Sometimes you get the bear.....sometimes the bear gets you or I SUCKED at the range today. Also a CZ Observation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So Sometimes you get the bear.....sometimes the bear gets you or I SUCKED at the range today. Also a CZ Observation Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I went to the range today and with the caveat that as long as I come home with all my digits and eyes, even a crappy range trip isn't all that bad. Smile

At any rate started out with my carry piece an HK P2000 .40..........wow I sucked through 2/3rds of a box. Damn near had the shakes shooting, was jerking the hell out of the trigger it was like it was my first time with a gun. Think minute of torso. The last 20 rounds or so I managed to calm down and tighten up a bit but still.....I was "off".

Ok so how about a .22 pistol? Brought a Ruger Mark II Government Competition.......now we're taking right?.......WRONG Mad First magazine was all the hell over the place. Took me another three or four to settle down.

No worries that's why you bring a .22 rifle. I pull out the 10/22 with the new VQ hammer.....yeah baby take that lack of skill.......or not. FFS I have patterned shotguns better.....I suck. Again took me several mags to get into a mediocre groove.

Now all that being said I also brought a CZ75 SP-01 tactical and ........ damn this thing is easy to shoot. I ran that bad boy like an operator........an AT&T operator but suffice to say I rocked that CZ today. I rarely say that a gun will cover up your(MY) inadequacies but holy hell the SP-01 is like having a semi automatic handgun with training wheels. It's T-Ball for the gun nut. It is one of the few guns that is almost like cheating...and it showed today because my shooting today hovered somewhere between 12 cups of coffee and mid stage Parkinson's disease.

I usually post reviews where I show fairly good groups/shooting but always say I am by FAR no gunslinger and frankly my off days outnumber my on days, however today was an OFF DAY except for that CZ. I would post a picture but nobody wants to scroll that much. Frown

I'm bringing a friggen 12 gauge next time. "TAKE THAT LACK OF SKILL AND TRAINING". Roll Eyes Frown

Sigh maybe next time.

Hell its the 21st century I am sure there is somebody else I can blame. My lack of skill has nothing to do with it. Hell its probably the Russians or HAARP or my middle class guilt. I'm gonna go to my safe space and color now.

As always shoot safe and take care.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. I went pheasant hunting once and missed my first shots. Finally I just unloaded my shotgun and watched the dog work and let everyone else have at it. I'm sure it will be better next time.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
Been there. It's frustrating when you know your shots should be in a little group, but they end up low and left like it's your first time to the range.

I went once with my dad. I was shooting my TRP at ten yards and couldn't hit a little 3 inch orange target spot. He was shooting his CZ75 TS at 25 yards, and had a nice little softball sized group. I think he enjoys out-shooting me at times.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eat something 1/2 hour before shooting. Start with the 22lr, then go to the next increase in recoil. Yes i know life is not like that. It does make your practice more efficient. Less wasted ammo means you can work on more fundamentals.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We all have days like that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
My good range days aren't always great so I feel your frustration with the bad days. Red Face

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Yep, I had that day yesterday, and can relate to your frustration.

New P320RX iron sights were off. Should be an easy adjustment, wrong. I had to drift the front sight with a piece of oak and hammer (no sight pusher that fits). Fire some rounds, drift the sight, fire some more rounds. Kept drifting too much. First one way, then the other. I thought I was really close but ran out of ammo.

I went home, grabbed some lunch, got more ammo and went back to the range.

It was now about two hours later. I shot again to confirm where I had left off. POI was way off. DUH, sun had shifted, shadow on sights was different, back to square one.

I found a shady spot where I could set up and went through all the steps again. Many rounds later I finally got it where it was very close and left it.

The only good thing I can say is I got a lot of practice in the fundamentals of shooting yesterday!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear but it happens. Probably not a good idea shooting a really light pistol in .40 to start off with. Being tired, stressed out, and having too much caffeine can certainly effect shooting results to.

Try this drill next time to see if you are flinching. If so spend some time dry firing on the target you were just shooting at being slow and deliberate and repeat drill until results are better. Has worked for me in the past.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been there too. It happens sometimes.
Shot a PPC match with a certain pistol and won. Had one round out but I was the lowest. Took said pistol back the next week and stunk up the place.
I agree with the CZ thing. I can take my pre B 75 out and it's automatic. It's been around the block a few times and the Tru Dots are dead but it's that pistol.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even the best hitters go 0 for 4 some games.

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grumpy1,

Adam Painchaud's drill shown in the video you posted is first rate! Excellent advice.

Silent

Posts: 1024 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I've had more of those days than I care to admit.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna practice that drill it sounds like just what I need. My trigger work has been terrible lately.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I will run a dummy round now and then or spin a revolver cylinder with a couple expended cartridges in it. It will show your flinch.

40 yards???!!! At 40 yards you are fairly safe from me with a pistol. I mean lightning strikes folks all the time so I guess I could tag you but........frankly it better be suppressing fire and I better have a rifle handy. Hey I'm honest.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post