SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I like Ballistol more than I thought I would
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I like Ballistol more than I thought I would Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

A pleasin' odor's half the point.
Watch yer language, young feller, this is a public market. Now if you want Dapper Dan, I can order it for you. Have it in a couple of weeks.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Can any of you speak to its lubrication qualities in comparison to modern offerings?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can any of you speak to its lubrication qualities in comparison to modern offerings?

It can certainly lubricate your esophagus and stomach lining. So in that regard it's milder than bourbon but not as harsh as pisco.

Just hold your breath while gulping it down.

Personally, I prefer gun lubricants that can kill me quickly if ingested.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s become my usual CLP. Seems to clean pretty well. Protects the steel pretty well. Good on lockworks. I’d prefer something just a little heavier on slide rails though.

But, in my little carry bag, there’s a bottle of Ballistol. It will do everything reasonably well.

And, I like the fact that it is about as “green” and safe a gun cleaner as you can get.

I kind of see it as the German version of our 3 In 1 oil.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
When comparing lubrication properties I have used everything from CLP to miltec to grease to Ballistol to 3 in 1 and for my purposes they all work about the same. I do try to use grease on steel on alloy applications but I have never seen issue with anything I just keep the guns lubricated in some way.

I like ballistol generally.

Now corrosion resistance there is a fair bit of data out there that shows what works best, but for my uses anything is fine and I have never had any major rust issues. If I was going out in the field for extended periods this would likely color my opinion further.

The point is, for me, the hobbiest, any of it works just fine and ballistol is pretty low toxic so works well for me. I use my fair share of 3 in 1 as well.

Ballistol does smell like dirty hobo feet though. No denying that.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Fireclean on the titanium cylinder. I have used it for years in my 340PD and after about 2k rounds it looks new

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I have used Ballistol to hose off the fire control unit of my P320 and it works great. I use a few patches and a wood cuticle pusher to dry it off as best I can after and the residual seems to libricate it just fine.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
It's one of my favourites even though I don't pick it up in Germany anymore. I like the smell!

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Ballistol is a good cleaning agent, not bad for protection, but will wash off. It's good lube for a .22 competiton pistol but I would not use it on a service pistol. For a lube, there is better options available today.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I use it often and like it.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan.

I use it in aerosol, as the final step - spray the entire exterior with a thin coat of Ballistol and wipe.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
It's my main cleaner & lubricant. Sometimes will use a little grease as well.
I like it, and don't find the smell revolting.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
On a Sig, you need grease. Ballistol is not an appropriate lube for a railed Sig, which you will probably find out soon enough.

I have some in my garage and I cant find a single thing to use it for. I wont use it on guns since there are MUCH better products on the market.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It was a favorite of der Kaiser, like a hundred years ago.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
Ballistol is a good cleaning agent, not bad for protection, but will wash off. It's good lube for a .22 competiton pistol but I would not use it on a service pistol. For a lube, there is better options available today.

OTD,

What is the most popular CLP in Switzerland these days? Just curious.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a Sig, you need grease. Ballistol is not an appropriate lube for a railed Sig, which you will probably find out soon enough.

Yeah, but I don't want Lucas/Mobil 1 grease all over the exterior of my SIGs and not all my guns are SIGs

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:

OTD,

What is the most popular CLP in Switzerland these days? Just curious.

I dont know. Probably Brunox, Ballistol and Automatenfett (Swiss Army grease for automatic weapons).

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pittwm:
I only use it, diluted with water in a spray bottle, on an AK. after corrosive 7n6, just spray it down and it good to go.

LOL. EXACTLY how I discovered it and use it. Makes cleaning the 74's super easy after a range session. Don't care for the stench though.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I like it and about a dozen others that all seemingly work identically on my guns...

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
Try Fireclean on the titanium cylinder. I have used it for years in my 340PD and after about 2k rounds it looks new

Thank you. Will try it out.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post