SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I like Ballistol more than I thought I would
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I like Ballistol more than I thought I would Login/Join 
posted
Purchased it based upon Hickock45's recommendation and my uncle's recommendation....figured the Germans are pretty good with stuff, so why not?

First of all, it's GREAT on folding knifes....open up smooth as butter now...even better on the 2nd day after application.

Second of all, it's actually a really good cleaner. Surprising.

I'm running a testing of sorts...comparing my P239 w/Mobil 28 grease on the internals vs. my P229 with Ballisol. So far, the triggers are nearly equally smooth, whereas before when I lubed them both with BreakFree CLP, the P239 was smoother.

I'll give it a couple days and a few hundred trigger pulls and see where it lands, but is there a reason not to like Ballistol for it's lubrication properties? And yes, I've spent (wasted?) time Googling the answer...I trust you guys more.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Performance as a lubricant is one thing, however, its performance as a cleaner is a whole other story. I am using it right now to clean the titanium cylinder on my new S&W 986 revolver and I find it disappointing. I also don't find CLPs very effective either. Hoppe's #9 is my preferred cleaner except that I am afraid to use it on coated titanium.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Ballistol but it smells worse than an old pair of sweaty gym socks. My wife banned indoor use of it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3530 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Performance as a lubricant is one thing, however, its performance as a cleaner is a whole other story. I am using it right now to clean the titanium cylinder on my new S&W 986 revolver and I find it disappointing. I also don't find CLPs very effective either. Hoppe's #9 is my preferred cleaner except that I am afraid to use it on coated titanium.

I have a 929–those titanium cylinders are a bitch to clean, and I love cleaning guns. You will need those lead cleaning cloths, or try lightly coating the cylinder prior to shooting with Frog Lube or Seal 1.

I use Ballistol for cleaning, and I do love it for cleaning.

I use Super Lube grease and oil, as well as Lubriplate SFL-0, unless the firearm requires very light lubrication(Remington 870).

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
SASS & keeping the vintage steel happy overall much of the last 30 years has given appreciation for all the magnificent qualities of ballistol. Including the wonderful aroma.l

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have only used the Ballistol in the aerosol can, and I admit it stinks to high heaven. I have heard though that the standard pump bottle has a different odor? Anyone experience this?

I use it on my revolvers becasue it cleans pretty good and I can get it on the wood, blued steel, stainless steel, whatever. Easy peasy.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used ballistol on and off for five years or so. I keep going back to it as a clp. I actually like the smell... I did not at first.

My partner at work uses it exclusively. We always can yell when the other cleaned their gun just by smell. Haha.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I always thought it had sort of a licorice smell. It makes me cough like crazy though if I get a lung full.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I like it, and use it on blackpowder revolvers primarily.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3208 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I like Ballistol but it smells worse than an old pair of sweaty gym socks. My wife banned indoor use of it.

I got to where I quite liked the smell of it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC Fan:
quote:

I have a 929–those titanium cylinders are a bitch to clean, and I love cleaning guns. You will need those lead cleaning cloths, or try lightly coating the cylinder prior to shooting with Frog Lube or Seal 1.

I use Ballistol for cleaning, and I do love it for cleaning.

I use Super Lube grease and oil, as well as Lubriplate SFL-0, unless the firearm requires very light lubrication(Remington 870).

I recall that the owner's manual warned that use of abrasive cleaning methods would void the warranty on the titanium cylinder of my 646. Might be worth checking your manual.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
I only use it, diluted with water in a spray bottle, on an AK. after corrosive 7n6, just spray it down and it good to go.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
quote:

I recall that the owner's manual warned that use of abrasive cleaning methods would void the warranty on the titanium cylinder of my 646. Might be worth checking your manual.

You are referring to the lead removal cloth? I wouldn’t call it abrasive.

After a quick internet search, it appears I am wrong about the lead removal cloth. My apologies!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RC Fan,

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I liked using it but didn't really find it any better than other products at cleaning or lubrication when shooting standard non-corrosive ammo. Also, I was also banned, albeit in a very polite manner, from using it in the house due to the smell (which really doesn't bother me at all). My wife doesn't mind Hoppes #9 that much or other products that have a lot stronger smell than Ballistol but she really, really can't stand the smell of Ballistol. I think it's funny but don't buy it anymore.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
quote:

You are referring to the lead removal cloth? I wouldn’t call it abrasive.

Pardon any thread drift, but I was going to ask the same question about lead removal cloths. I avoid them (and therefore nonjacketed loads) in titanium cylinders, which just never really get clean. It would be great if Ballistrol was effective for titanium cleaning.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
It's my preferred cleaner/lube.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a gun lube and a dessert topping.

Posts: 107554 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:

I got to where I quite liked the smell of it.

A pleasin' odor's half the point.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I think I still have a can of it lurking around somewhere. Or I might've given it away to a neighbor. Thanks for the thread; it'll bug me endlessly and NOW I probably tear my garage apart trying to find it. Razz

I didn't care for the aroma as well, so I never really gave it a fair shake on the cleaning side of the ledger.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I use it. I like it.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post