SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on the CZ 75B (9mm)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on the CZ 75B (9mm) Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

I recently got an offer I couldn't refuse on a CZ 75B in 9mm. I know CZ's have a big following, they just never really called to me. I do like full size, all metal guns. And 9mm is my favorite pistol caliber, so that's a plus. I'd like to hear opinions on the CZ 75B from my fellow SIG lovers. Any recommended upgrades, ammo to avoid, etc???

As always, any and all input is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to post pics of your CZ 75B!!!

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I have one that I bought two years ago. It's one of my favorite pistols. In terms of accuracy, it runs with a high quality 1911. Reliability-wise, it's been excellent. I shoot mostly reloads, and it has cycled everything I've fed it without so much as a hangup. The factory trigger is a bit gritty, and cams back the hammer slightly in SA mode, but it has a very nice Glock-like tactile break and reset. (Not that Glock has a great trigger break, but in my mind, it is a Glock trigger break as it should be.). The insides are far from a work of art. Take field strip a P226 and then set it next to a field stripped CZ 75, and you'll see what I mean. It's pretty rough inside. However, given the accuracy, reliability, and rugged reputation of the CZ 75, I don't trifle with the insides.

The one thing I don't like is the safety. The safety just doesn't engage positively. It feels like it can switch off by itself just sitting in the holster. For this reason, my CZ 75 will always only be a range toy. If I bought one for carry, I would go with the BD variant, which has a thumb decocker in place of the thumb safety. For those of us with stubby thumbs who have a hard time reaching a SIG decocker, the CZ design is a welcome improvement.

It's an excellent piece. My dad bought one, and loved it so much that he bought two more. (A TS and a 97)

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan. Note: if you get one that is a few years old, it may look like a beaver did the routing; communist era type machining and production.

The new ones are light years ahead. They bought all new, state of the art machines in the past year. Much, much better. Side note: A CZ 75 TS is my main competition gun for Steel Challenge.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I like the CZ-75s about the same as I like my Sig P226s and Beretta 92s. I love to shoot them at the range but don't carry them due to size.

I've had several CZ-75s over the years and usually end up tinkering with them at some point. I install Cajun Gun Works springs, polish up the insides, change the sights, change grips and install the heavy-duty competition magazine guide. For my most recent CZ, I decided to buy a new CZ-75 Shadow Tac II from the CZ Custom Shop. The trigger, reset and everything about the gun is a lot better than my standard CZ-75s. Even so, I don't really shoot it any better than the others, but I'm sure a competitive shooter would notice the difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bobandmikako,

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
They are good pistols but not my favorite. I have a SP01 Shadow and use it just for range and it does well at that with the heavy weight. You can only get the CZ75 either with the decoker or with the safety but not both like others such as the Beretta or HK. Triggers are often not so good out of the box which is why I spent a little more to get the Shadow as it was pretty nice out of the box plus it has better controls. I like the grip better on my P226s. Glad I have my SP01 though.

Posts: 9741 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
I have three, four if you count the compact. Great shooters and reliable.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 9mm 75B. It was one of my favorite pistols. One of my friends wanted it and waited till I found something that I wanted more a got it. I would own another and really want a pre B.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 75B SAO. Minimal recoil with the weight, and very ergonomic for my hand shape. Trigger is not great and safety is a little less than positive..it is no high-end 1911. I love the shape, and would like to acquire a Shadow for the upgraded trigger.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions guys!

Billy346,

The pistol I got looks just like the one in your picture. All in all, I think I did pretty well for $275 OTD.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Nice score! You will definitely enjoy shooting it.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have a 75B. P01, and a P09.
The 75B is my favorite all steel full size 9mm pistol. It is a laser.
The P01 is almost identical in size to a Glock 19 and feels like it was made by magic elves just for me.
The P09 is my USPSA production gun and other than Dawson FO sights I don't feel the need to change anything else on this gun. It is my favorite.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a CZ 75. It's a solid pistol and has an almost cult like following.
I have an older pre B that's all Czech made that is wonderful. No FPS and the trigger pull is awesome. Enjoy!

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Nothing but praise for the P-07 and PCR. In a standard 75, make mine suffixed with a D (de-cocking). I don't like the standard's safety; it is too far forward and flat to get a good thumb on it. Also, when the chamber is loaded and the hammer is de-cocked, the DA trigger reach and length of stroke is reduced.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hmm...I thought I posted to this thread previously as well. I know, I must be losing my mind.

Anyways, I truly enjoy CZ firearms, particularly their semi-autos. In the 75 family I believe I'm now up to five and I'm contemplating a sixth from a friend who's in the midst of downsizing. When it comes to hammer pistols they are probably my favored brand (there are some good ones from SIG and Beretta and in the 1911 world that give pause, though).

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The weight of this, if you carry all day, might wear on you by the end of the day. The P(-01, CR, -07) guns are much lighter. An alloy-frame version of this gun would be very desirable. I think they may have made some in the past, but have never actually seen one, if I'm not mistaken altogether.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
soggy_spinout,

Funny you should say that. My favorite pistols are:

Beretta M9
Browning Hi Power
Colt 1911 Series 70 Govt.
SIG Sauer P226

egregore,

Being in CA, CCW will not be a concern. Frown

Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
Thanks for the opinions guys!

Billy346,

The pistol I got looks just like the one in your picture. All in all, I think I did pretty well for $275 OTD.

Yes, that's about half what I paid. This is the benefit of buying used guns as opposed to new guns. Enjoy it. I think you will agree that it is an excellent pistol, even at twice the price. Big Grin

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one from Bud's three years ago. It is everyone's favorite at the range. It is easy to shoot well.

I like the old-world, all-steel construction and the weight. While it is not the best for daily carry, the heft is very reassuring and it just sinks into my hand. There is nothing quite like it other than a 1911. Also, for anyone who likes the SIG 210, (and cannot afford one!), check out the reversed frame and slide rails on this gun!

As far as the mushy safety; I just posted on the CZ Forum about this very thing and there is a solution. It is an extra power safety spring found here;
http://www.dsperman.com/produc...Spring/CZSpring.html

But keep in mind, since the safety cannot be engaged with the hammer in either down position, or half-cock position, there is no danger for the safety to be accidentally engaged to the ON position while carrying. The concern would only be in the case of carrying cocked and locked.

Trigger; Yes, the trigger is a little gritty. But I installed a $40.00 kit from Cajun Gunworks. The trigger is now much better and while it it not as clean breaking as my 2022, it shoots better than the 2022 in everyone's hands who accompany me to the outdoor range.

For those who are not very familiar with this colt followed gun, simply Google Hickok's review of this gun. It is an enjoyable, informative eye opening video!

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't most CZ-75 based pistols aluminum framed? I have several, none of them steel. When I tried to find a steel one a couple of years ago I was directed to the EAA Witness in steel, a copy, because steel CZ's were scarce.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The full sized ones are easily found in steel frame.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post