SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SAO 226 Legion vs 320 X5
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAO 226 Legion vs 320 X5 Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted
I might be in the market for a full sized 9mm. I want it for range fun and occasional home defense duty.

I've handled and really like the Legion but it's expensive. I can afford it though if it's a clear winner. I've shot a P320 compact with apex trigger and really liked it, only experience I have with that platform. I did used to own an old P226 but sold it. I kept all the magazines and a holster so there's that to think about....

Flip a coin? Win win either way? A clear better choice?

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
Was just handling a P226 Legion SAO today, and it just might have the best stock trigger I've ever felt, outside of a 3k+ 1911, maybe even better than those.

I have a P320 with the GGI competition package and trigger, and I think that SAO trigger is better, different of course but better.

That being said, the P320 is much lighter, and might just have the best mag release button in the game. If that matters to you.

The one criticism I have of the P226 SAO, is the slide lock/release is a little hard to get to with the thumb safety right next to it, for a range toy it's a non issue, but again the location of the P320s slide lock/release is better, especially the newer style one.

You can't go wrong with any P226, and that SAO is a special feeling gun.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they will likely be very close in price depending on where you are shopping. Regardless, I would and did choose the 226 Legion SAO. Its a great accurate reliable gun on a very proven platform with a vast aftermarket. I don't think the 320 X5 is bad its that the 226 is the best gun I have. I put it past my fully tricked out X5.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 226 Legion SAO and have handled the 320 X5, for range range the 320 X5, If you want what I consider the best combat handgun out the box then the 226 Legion SAO. I have a little over a thousand rounds through mine and the 226 Legion SAO has been 100% reliable with every time of ammo that I have used, from the least expensive steel case to quality hp, not a single malfunction and that is why mine has taken the role of my main combat sidearm.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I think they will likely be very close in price depending on where you are shopping.

I can order a 226 tomorrow for $1200. I know of another shop with 320 x5s in stock for $1000. $200 is a case of 9mm so it's not insignificant. Then again like I said I've got a half dozen p226 magazines sitting in my closet.

Directed to everyone - Is the x5 trigger anything special? I know the legion trigger I sampled is pretty damn nice, but I've heard they aren't all that good. It'd be my luck to get that one made on a Friday afternoon. Roll Eyes

I'm leaning towards the Legion. Will have to sleep on it.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$200 over the life of a gun isn't much IMO. Not trying to argue and not meant as something rude. Its certainly something to consider and your right that is a case of ammo. I will say if you asked me to pick out a better trigger, I don't think I could. Its not just break but reset. I own a bunch of different guns so its not just glocks or m&ps I'm comparing it to.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own both, and I would go with the Legion. Awesome ergos, great features and an amazing trigger. Mine is very accurate and reliable.

The X-5 is one hell of a pistol as well, shoots very accurately with the fine target sights, very good ergos, and the 21 round mags are a really nice bonus. On mine the trigger is nice but I traded it out for the GGI PELT. For some reason the trigger hurts my finger after shooting it a bit. The PELT helps but the irritation is still there.

Still and all my personal recommendation would be the Legion. Just love those classic SIGs, and think you would be hard pressed to find a better example of one.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Ordered the 226... Eek Big Grin

Thursday suddenly feels like a million years away. Red Face

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Ordered the 226... Eek Big Grin

Smart Man.

quote:
Thursday suddenly feels like a million years away. Red Face

I can empathize.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooooh should have gone with the 320. Just Kidding I think your going to be very happy with your choice.

posted Hide Post
Great choice. It is hard to beat a metal framed Sig.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post