SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig M11/A1 - Chrome Lined Barrel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig M11/A1 - Chrome Lined Barrel? Login/Join 
Picture of TexasRaider
posted
Quick poser for all the resident experts on the M11/A1 around here. I bought mine around 2015 used (barely), but didn't get a lot of info on it. I've searched online and found three stories:

1. None had chrome lined barrels, ever.
2. All of them were equipped with them.
3. Only the early ones did, newer ones are not.

I have viewed pictures on other forums, with folks claiming if you see any chrome ringing around the crown, it's a CLB. But I've seen similar ringing on well shot barrels that aren't CBL's over the years.

So, that's the question: Did Sig ever put a CLB in the M11/A1?
Thanks

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From personal experience, number 3.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Early ones definitely did have CL barrels. I had two of them from Dec 2012. I don't know about current ones, though.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the quick responses.
I suppose buried in Sig's confusing database of "Recorded Dates of When We Did What We Did" there's an approximate month/year when they changed over from CLBs to standard stainless barrels. Perhaps a call to Sig CS would reveal that date and a comparison of that against my gun's S/N# (for a born-on date) might provide some illumination.

Because frankly, to my 50+ year old eyes, I can't tell by looking if mine has it or not. Not even sure I'd know what I was looking for anyway....

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And why the heck would you care? really?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
CL M11-A1 barrel that was from the gun. Notice that silver looking inner "ring"? That's chrome.

Non-CL 229-1 barrel that was a replacement part. No silver ring.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

Why not.

Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
CL M11-A1 barrel that was from the gun. Notice that silver looking inner "ring"? That's chrome.

Ah. Very nice pics, much clearer than others I've seen. Well done. I shall look again at mine. I kinda figured if anyone on here would give a thorough answer to a P228 (or its close kin) question, it'd be you, man.
Thanks!

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I bought one in 2012 and it's chrome lined like the picture above.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, it's an interesting fact that I wasn't aware of. Chrome lining is common for rifles, not for corrosion resistance so much but really so the barrel can resist sustained automatic fire.

Chrome Lining in a pistol barrel? Neat!

Why the heck is someone caring about this a surprise?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LRS2
posted Hide Post
Production Date 27 July 2016 - My M11-A1 is definitely not a CL barrel. Dammit...now I'm going to want to find one. Big Grin

Posts: 43 | Location: KY | Registered: April 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#3 is my personal experience.
Early adopter of the M11-A1 had chrome-lined barrel.

By the time the FDE model came out (and I snagged one of the first of those), the barrel was a standard P229 barrel.

I wish I never sold my M11...

Posts: 9 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: April 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Called Sig CS today, the guy I spoke to said they haven't offered a CLB for the P229/M11A1 platform since he'd been there, about 6 or 7 years. I suppose if ya' gotta have one, you'd better find an older model. Maybe that makes them a bit more collectable, don't know.

I guess if a guy just HAD to have one, he could buy a MK25 CBL and send it out to some expert gunsmith and have it cut down to fit a P229 size. However, that hardly seems cost effective....

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
quote:

Why not.

Who doesn’t want to know more detail about SIG pistols. That’s kinda the raison de’etre of the forum.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
My Sig M11-A1 is maybe 4 years old and does NOT have a chrome lined barrel. My Sig 226 Navy, pre Mk25 does have a CLB.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post