SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt King Cobra
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt King Cobra Login/Join 
Picture of Angel King
posted
I see some videos regarding quality control and reliability. What do you guys think?

Question:
Looking for a Fixed Sight .357

Choices:
Pass, Colt revolvers are not what they used to be.
Get it, for every problem gun, there are many good ones.

An eagle does not capture flies.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted to get it. But if I was truly after a fixed sight .357 revolver, I would pursue a GP100. Or a Smith Model 13 or 65. If you can find one.
The Colt is worth a try, just for the fact that Colt is at least trying to return to their roots.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the older ones or the new generation that came out last year? I have one from 1993 and it's Cool

As far as the new generation, they are decent. My friend has several of them and they feel ok but you can tell the difference between it and the older versions.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
The new generation. Old was excellent from what I hear.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Between heaven and hell | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I voted to get it. But if I was truly after a fixed sight .357 revolver, I would pursue a GP100. Or a Smith Model 13 or 65. If you can find one.
The Colt is worth a try, just for the fact that Colt is at least trying to return to their roots.

I second this recco. A S&W 3 inch model 13 or 65 are the way to go IMHO. Second in from the right is my 13.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
It’s really up to you - the only revolver you will get with that nice of a trigger at that price point is a Kimber.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
I would love a Smith & Wesson 3 inch 65, but finding them at a sane price is not easy.

posted Hide Post
Get it! I have the new one. It is better in quality than my friends older one. The trigger is better, the stamping is clearer and it's a three inch revolver so it feels great in the hand.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the roll out of the new Pythons and all of the issues those had, I'd have some serious reservations about buying one.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a newer one and it’s a nice little gun. I love the size of it and it shoots really well. I’ve got about a thousand rounds through mine and no issues so far. I’m happy with the purchase.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I Voted PASS
I Have A 3 Inch model . When i took it out of the Box and pulled the Hammer and the Cylinder did not Turn Right? Then i opened and closed the Cylinder and cocked it the Cylinder Free wheeled sent it back to Colt it is fixed.
Customer service was decent. But i am still disappointed in quality and Workmanship if it had not been a gift it would have found a new home the day after i got it back from colt

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But it. Fantastic DA trigger.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I looked at one. My LGS guy let me dry fire it, too. I thought it was smooth, and it seemed to function as it should. It was nicely finished. Over all it looked very good and seemed to work as it should.

I know it's a small frame revolver. But it seemed to have a very thin amount of steel in the cylinder walls and the forcing cone walls looked very thin. I think I would prefer to lose a round and go with a Ruger SP101

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
50/50 for buy or pass. You all are devided on this one.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have not had a chance to handle one myself, but my buddy's dad was really excited about picking one up when they released the new models. He hunted all over the place for one, and finally found one. He was all set to buy it until he actually got to the shop and had it in hand. He said the fit and finish was very poor, and the action was rough. It didn't live up to the hype, and he ended up passing. It was a big disappointment, because he really wanted one.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing. I have held one in the shop and that example had an amazing finish and trigger pull. I'm just concerned when you start putting rounds through it.

Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
If you wanted a Smith...the K comp is hard to beat.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angel King
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the Smith & Wesson Performance Center K Comp. It's going for about $1,250. Looks good.

I'm also considering the Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp Edition as an alternate.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's the thing. I have held one in the shop and that example had an amazing finish and trigger pull. I'm just concerned when you start putting rounds through it.

If you found a good one, it meets your standards for fit and finish, and it's what you really want, why not give it a shot? Chances are it will be fine. Worst case it has to go back to Colt.

quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
If you wanted a Smith...the K comp is hard to beat.

This is great advice. If I was looking for a nice, "barbecue gun" type .357 revolver right now, a model 19 K Comp would be the one. And I'm a confessed Ruger guy.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I had one. It was nice, certainly nicer than the Cobra they brought back first. Fit and finish was pretty good with the exception of a fairly cheap looking hammer and trigger. Trigger pull was decent and it was fairly pleasant to shoot for a smallish 357. It was just about the perfect size (for me) in a concealed carry revolver holding 6 rounds.

That said, I sold it as soon as I found a new Python in stock. A NEW new Python, now with a slightly heavier spring and locktite on the sideplate screws (allegedly). The Python (at least this one example) is beautifully machined and feels very nice indeed. It's only got a couple of hundred rounds through it (357 is hard to find right now, so is 38) but it's been flawless.

Back on topic, I liked the King Cobra a lot, but on reflection I wouldn't have paid near the retail price if it wasn't for the pony on the frame. Fortunately I found someone else willing to pay the Colt Tax and didn't take TOO bad a hit when I sold it.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post