SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK P7 vs P7M8
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK P7 vs P7M8 Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
What are the differences? Is one more desirebale than the other?

Posts: 4646 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_P7
quote:
Based on the P7 several other variants were built: the P7PT8,"P7M8", P7M13, P7K3, P7M10 and the P7M7, none of which remain in production. Production of the "P7" heel release design ended in 1997 with the KH date coded pistol marked "P7" on the Grip and "PSP" on the slide.

The P7PT8 is a dedicated, straight blowback training pistol modified for use with the 9×19mm PT training cartridge (made by Geco) with a plastic bullet (weighing 0.42 g).[11] A "floating chamber" adapter is used inside the barrel which enhances felt recoil for use with the special ammunition. The pistols were marked with blue dots on both sides of the slide to differentiate the P7PT8 from other P7 pistols that can chamber lethal ammunition.[11] To date about 200 pistols of this type were produced that are used mainly for simulated firing in enclosed spaces.

The P7M8 is the P7's counterpart with larger trigger guard, lengthened trigger, heat shield, thumb operated magazine release, larger rear sight dovetail, protruding firing pin bushing and lanyard ring. Production began in 1983 and continued until 2007. A final production run of 500 P7M8 pistols were produced under the AH date code (year 2007).[12] Each is marked on the right side of the slide with X of 500. Other than the slide marking no other features nor accessories were added to the usual kit. To commemorate 25 years of P7 production, H&K offered a limited run of P7M8 "Jubilee" edition. Only 500 examples were ever made. Included in the package were a wooden lockable presentation case, P7 challenge coin, and special markings. The slide's top-left radiused edge has the designer's name (Helmut Weldle) and "1 von 500" (German, and including the double quotes; it translates to "1 of 500" in English) etched onto its surface. The wooden grips were made by Karl Nills and had the H&K logo.

The P7M13 is the P7’s counterpart with a double-column magazine and a 13-round capacity.[13] This pistol was offered (unsuccessfully) to the US Army. A variant known as the P7M13SD was produced in limited numbers exclusively for German special forces, featuring a longer (compared to the P7M13) threaded barrel and a sound suppressor.[13]

The P7K3 is a shortened version of the P7 (inspired by the HK4 pistol) that uses straight blowback for operation. This version has a removable barrel and uses a sealed hydraulic recoil buffer in place of a gas cylinder.[14] After swapping out the barrel and magazine it can use .380 ACP (9×17mm Short) or .32 ACP (7.65×17mm Browning SR) pistol cartridges and after replacing the slide, magazine and barrel (with floating chamber insert)—it can also be used to fire .22 LR (5.6mm Long Rifle) ammunition.[14] The hydraulic recoil buffer of the P7K3 is prone to wear and causes a serious problem to operate the gun when it is worn down. Heckler & Koch does not make a replacement part for the buffer. However, there are some commercial buffers available. When the .22 LR slide and barrel are installed, the buffer is not engaged. The slide of the .22 LR has an opening at the front that allows the buffer to be unused when firing the gun. Heckler & Koch provides a special scraper tool for the .22 LR-barrel. The tool is needed to clean the inside of the floating chamber for save operation. An additional exchange tool is provided for all calibers to screw and unscrew the barrel nut that attaches the barrel to the frame. Both tools can be seen in one of the pictures of the P7K3 on this page. P7K3's are more rare in the U.S. than in Europe and are valued at higher prices especially when they are in good condition.

The P7M10 was introduced to the American market in 1991.[1] It is chambered for the .40 S&W (10×22mm Smith & Wesson) round and has a double-stack 10-round magazine.[15] With the American market in mind, a variant known as the P7M7 designed to use the .45 ACP (11.43×23mm Automatic Colt Pistol) cartridge was also created. However, it remained only a prototype due to excessive costs and complexity of creating such a weapon.[16]

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10579 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
P7 has a heel mag release and a smaller trigger guard. The M8 has an ambi paddle
Mag release, larger trigger guard with a heat shield. The M8 is generally more sought after as the market was flooded with P7 police trade in's from Germany in the mid 2000's.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
M8 has a small heat shield in trigger guard and uses HK paddle style mag release. P7 has no heat shield and uses a European heel release. M8 is generally more desirable. Police trade P7s sort of flooded the market years ago.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7880 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
P7M8 Chantilly seam to be the most desirable and $$$$ I liked mine but it really got hot after a few magazines.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to get another but not with the prices they are now. I had a Chantilly P7M8 years ago that I could not shoot well,no fault of the gun, I just couldn't get used to the set up. It seems not long ago the P7 flooded the market with used guns that were only a few hundred dollars, if memory serves and then it seems overnight, the prices hit the roof and kept going. They are nice pistols.

Posts: 7063 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've had both versions. Both excellent pistols IMHO. More desireable? I guess it's just just personal preference. I bought a new P7M8 back in the '80s and prefer it because of the mag release and heat shield. My earlier P7 would start to get real warm after a couple of magazines fired.

NRA Life

Posts: 1578 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Im with Rock on this one. Ive owned both but sold the P7 as I feel the newer model is far superior. They are both very accurate pistols, with their fixed barrels. The heat shield in the M8 doesnt much help when running through mags quickly. Either way you cant go wrong.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7517 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks for the info guys. I'll hold out for a P7M8. Had a bead on a like new P7 for 1K though.

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Here’s both of them. P7M8 (Top) and P7 PSP (Bottom). You can see the difference in the trigger guards. If you look closely at the M8, you can see the heat shield at the top of the trigger guard and the small mag release paddle directly above the squeeze cocker.

They’re both terrific guns and fun to shoot. As others have said, you probably want to let them cool off if you shoot a few quick mags in succession. Of note, I added the homemade Talon grips to the PSP (they’ll sell you the material) and I had Grayguns install the new sights.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1330 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had a bead on a like new P7 for 1K though.

Still not a bad deal in contemporary times if you can get the guy to move a little on his price, and am getting a few mags, and original packaging. They have escalated big time in price over the last 5 yrs or so.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7517 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tooky - I like the talon grip material on your P7! I may have to try that! Did they just sell you a sheet and you cut it?

LincolnSixEcho - I've had both and I like the regular P7 for conceal carry due to the heel mag release. If you're not going to jump on that P7 send me a message if you don't mind with the contact info, I wouldn't mind adding one to the safe!!

Bowl cuts are the greatest haircuts in the world

Posts: 230 | Location: Virginia Beach | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MushroomPrint:
Tooky - I like the talon grip material on your P7! I may have to try that! Did they just sell you a sheet and you cut it?

Yes, they'll sell you sheets (5" x 7") of either the rubber or sandpaper texture and you can make your own pattern.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1330 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which texture did you go with?

Posts: 230 | Location: Virginia Beach | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that is awesome! Not everyday you see those KH dated coded PSP stamped P7s! Very nice!!

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
More pr0n

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got both and prefer the P7. My P7M8's launch the mag. Which is good, but the mag release is pretty big and stands out. I always worry that it will get hit inadvertently. Never happened before but the "advantages" of the M8 are kind of lost on me anyway. Don't shoot a bunch of mags in a row, swap out the striker assembly for the M8 tool less variety, learn to use a heel release, save about 500 bucks and go with the P7.

That is one pristine P7 Para.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Tooky13, thanks for the comparison pics those help a lot. Gosh I almost like the standard P7 looks a bit better. Para's photos are pretty convincing too. Ima have to think on this some more.

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
You will be pleased with any variation of the P7 family that you end up buying

When I got mine, there was no choice. They were all PSPs

I need to shoot a new photo now that I have changed the grips.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5218 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post