SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Simple FFL question?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simple FFL question? Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
If my brother in SC wants to send a pistol frame for me in FL to work on, does he have to have his FFL send it to my FFL? For the return trip, he will be in FL in 3 weeks, so he will pick it up from me.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I believe so.

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It needs to be sent to your FFL. Your brother can send it directly to your FFL, or he can have his FFL send it.

It is legal for an individual to ship to an FFL, but your FFL, the one who receives it, might not want to receive a handgun shipped by an individual. That is not a question of legality, it is the preference of some FFL's not to receive from individuals -- an (over?) abundance of caution.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's usually cheaper to have a FFL ship a handgun. FFLs can ship handguns through the USPS, but individuals have to use UPS/FedEx for handguns.

When an individual ships a handgun through UPS/FedEx, it has to go Overnight/Next Day, and typically runs $50-$90+.

A FFL shipping a handgun in a Flat Rate USPS box is ~$10-$20. Even if the FFL charges an additional transfer fee of $20-$30, that's still cheaper.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
What you are proposing is a transfer of ownership.

once it gets to FL you will need to fill out a 4473 and go through a background check.

It is then your property.

You can not hand it to him to take back home when he visits since he is not a resident of FL. It will need to then be shipped to an FFL holder in his state where he will fill out a 4473 and go through a background check to regain ownership

If the work you are doing can be done quickly, he can bring it with him on his visit, you can do the work and he can return with it all with out the need to transfer ownership across state lines

There is NO Legal way for him to ship a firearm across State lines for work/repair to a non-FFL holder

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the work you are doing can be done quickly, he can bring it with him on his visit, you can do the work and he can return with it all with out the need to transfer ownership across state lines

This is the smart thing to do if possible, and will save you both money. Going through an FFL on both ends sounds stupid, but it is the only way to legally handle it...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
His FFL shipped it to my FFL today. I ordered some lowers from AIM I will hold off picking them up if they come in first and do the background and forms at the same time if that's legal, when he's here, he can,just use my FFL to send to his?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a pistol so anything across state lines is through an FFL. Once you get it from your FFL you want to send it back to him, not him sending it back to himself. As the concept of you giving it to him out of state is problematic.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always transfer legally which is I am sure what you going to do. Remember ATF will readily prosecute law abiding citizens for minor violations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
If my brother in SC wants to send a pistol frame for me in FL to work on,

So you are an FFL or gunsmith with an FFL?

What you have proposed does not sound legal.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sent my 320 to Gray guns this week my gun shop charged me 25.00 to ship it. FedEx was 85.00 from Ga. to Bruce one way. When it comes back my FFL will charge me 20.00 to handle the transfer . So the total is 45.00 less than I could have paid just to get it there.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If my brother in SC wants to send a pistol frame for me in FL to work on, does he have to have his FFL send it to my FFL? For the return trip, he will be in FL in 3 weeks, so he will pick it up from me.

Better description of "frame" ?????
Anything internal? or just a hand gun grip?Best to check local state laws and state shipped to. JMO

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcl1960:
Anything internal? or just a hand gun grip?Best to check local state laws and state shipped to. JMO

Doesn't matter. The frame is the "firearm" in the eyes of the law, regardless of whether it has any internals or not. Everything else on the gun is just parts.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 454gun:
I just sent my 320 to Gray guns this week my gun shop charged me 25.00 to ship it. FedEx was 85.00 from Ga. to Bruce one way. When it comes back my FFL will charge me 20.00 to handle the transfer . So the total is 45.00 less than I could have paid just to get it there.

Gray guns can ship directly back to you...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
If my brother in SC wants to send a pistol frame for me in FL to work on,

So you are an FFL or gunsmith with an FFL?

What you have proposed does not sound legal.

I'm going to cerakote his frame, slide and controls, he dissasemble it and kept all the internal parts from the slide and frame. That's illegal? He is not paying me for it, as he is my brother.

Beth Greene

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I would have your brother ship it to himself at your address. Don't open it. He can open it when he arrives, and take it back with him.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The battle I have had on this is that UPS really doesn't like to deliver a handgun to a non FFL, even though its perfectly legal as described above.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Doesn't matter. The frame is the "firearm" in the eyes of the law, regardless of whether it has any internals or not. Everything else on the gun is just parts.

Not if its a P250 or P320 !

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, of course not legal. Who would recommend that.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not if its a P250 or P320 !

Yes, even with a P250/P320. A P250/P320 grip is not a frame. The silver FCU chassis is the frame, and therefore the firearm. The plastic grip module is just a part, like a set of removable grips for a 1911. The internals to the FCU are also just parts.

The P250/P320 frame just happens to be smaller than that on a traditional handgun, and fully enclosed inside the plastic grip.