SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Proper method to decock revolver
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper method to decock revolver Login/Join 
posted
I have a Super Redhawk 44 mag with 7.5 inch barrel. The manual suggests decocking with the support hand forward of the trigger guard and the other on the hammer with the index finger pulling the trigger and then releasing the hammer slowly.

The other method not in the manual involves placing ones thumb between the hammer and the frame while pulling the trigger with ther other hand.

Which is best and safest to use???

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's probably safest to use the "pinch the hammer" method with your support hand to prevent the hammer from dropping. Realistically, I've always thumbed the hammer back a bit, pulled the trigger and lowered it down all with my right hand. I try to avoid having my hand in front of the trigger guard/cylinder at all costs. If you end up with a hole in the ground, there's no need to blast your hand in the cylinder gap at the same time.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Try them both with the revolver unloaded and use whichever method you like better.

Placing your thumb between the hammer and frame may technically be the safest, but it's not pleasant to drop the hammer on your thumb if you don't contact the hammer and ride it forward. Personally, I prefer the first method.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I put my support hand thumb between hammer and frame, but I don’t just pull the trigger and let the hammer fall with full force. I pull the trigger with my trigger finger and use my shooting hand thumb to control the hammer movement. Once the hammer is resting against my support thumb, I release the trigger and slowly remove my thumb and allow the (controlled) hammer to continue moving to the decocked position.

All that is easier with revolvers whose firing pins are in the frame rather than on the hammer, but it’s still possible otherwise. Once the hammer starts moving forward, I release the trigger and with S&W revolvers (and probably others with modern designs), the hammer block will start moving up into position to prevent the hammer causing a discharge if it slips from my shooting hand thumb. As I recall, with Rugers, the same process moves the transfer bar down out of position to accomplish the same thing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been a while, but I assume this has the hammer transfer bar "safety"? If so, can't you:

1. Place your off-hand thumb in front of the hammer.

2. Pull back the hammer with your strong-hand thumb, pull the trigger, and let the hammer come forward far enough to release the trigger without it holding the hammer.

3. Move your off-hand thumb out of the way and finish dropping the hammer with your strong thumb.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What he said. As soon as you pull trigger get your finger off it and transfer bar won’t let it hit firing pin if you accidentally lose control of hammer.

I use right hand as it’s comfortable to do but I usually have left finger in front of hammer till I let off trigger or something like that.

I agree not to put fingers in front of cylinder ever.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I just did not feel comfortable putting my fingers in front of the cylinder.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
ETA: Too late ^ Wink

The SRH has a transfer bar safety.

Hold the hammer back, pull the trigger and immediately take pressure off the trigger. Then lower the hammer.

If you're not holding back the hammer, the transfer bar won't stay raised, and there's no way the gun can fire.

ETA:2

If you're not familiar with how the transfer bar works, here's a picture from my old site. This is a SBH but the idea is the same.

The photo is from a little page about checking clearance, which when wrong can cause the trader bar to break.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I put my support hand thumb between hammer and frame, but I don’t just pull the trigger and let the hammer fall with full force. I pull the trigger with my trigger finger and use my shooting hand thumb to control the hammer movement. Once the hammer is resting against my support thumb, I release the trigger and slowly remove my thumb and allow the (controlled) hammer to continue moving to the decocked position.
^^^
This. Same with a semi-auto SA/DA with no decocker.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can I ask why you've thumb cocked a DA revolver and then decided not to fire it? I don't see a situation that would be a common problem in, but I am not really a revolver guy.

To the original question, I put thumb of right hand over hammer so it rests in the web of my hand between thumb & index finger, pull trigger and SLOWLY release hammer to resting position. In transfer bar guns, as mentioned, once hammer releases remove pressure from trigger so as to prevent transfer bar and hammer from contacting firing pin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfe 21,

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Can I ask why you've thumb cocked a DA revolver and then decided not to fire it? I don't see a situation that would be a common problem in, but I am not really a revolver guy.

I could see it hunting:
A deer comes into view.
As he approaches the optimal shooting spot, you cock the gun.
Just before you break the shot he spooks and runs off.

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It happens for all kinds of reasons. Ever decocked a semiauto?

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, probably only a very few times on a loaded chamber. I like striker and 1911 so not really an issue. Most of my shooting is all SA at the range or is a DAO action. I am not a hunter. So that is not where my mind would go initially, but does make sense I guess. My Sigs are loaded and fired til empty. Decocker is for dropping hammer on empty to put back in the case or when cleaning and reassembling after range. I started shooting pistols on single actions, so hammer down on a live round in anything bugs me a little.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was at an organized range doing some single action firing.

Suddenly the range master yells out on the PA:

"Cease Fire, Cease fire, unload and clear all weapons, open all actions and step back from the bench."

First thing I did was de-cock my revolver. They kind of frown on continuing to fire after they make the announcement. Smile Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10892 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
For me it happens all the time. You just decide NOT to shoot something for whatever reason.

But I suppose part of it depends on what, where and how you do most of your shooting.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honestly, probably only a very few times on a loaded chamber. I like striker and 1911 so not really an issue. Most of my shooting is all SA at the range or is a DAO action. I am not a hunter. So that is not where my mind would go initially, but does make sense I guess. My Sigs are loaded and fired til empty. Decocker is for dropping hammer on empty to put back in the case or when cleaning and reassembling after range. I started shooting pistols on single actions, so hammer down on a live round in anything bugs me a little.

That could make for an interesting self-defense defense.

- Benjamin Franklin

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I ask why you've thumb cocked a DA revolver and then decided not to fire it?

Have you ever aimed a gun at a target, perhaps disengaged the safety, and then decided not to shoot? If so, part of the process of getting ready to shoot a revolver may get to the point of cocking the hammer. If the decision is then made to not shoot, it’s necessary to decock the hammer, and decockers on revolvers are rare, if they exist at all.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I've owned quite a few revolvers, mostly S&W and Dan Wesson. I've never used the second method with the thumb between the hammer and frame (If I understand the description).

The first method has never been an issue. I'm completely comfortable with it and have never had a problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
I've owned quite a few revolvers, mostly S&W and Dan Wesson. I've never used the second method with the thumb between the hammer an frame (If I understand the description).

The first method has never been and issue. I'm completely comfortable with it and have never had a problem.

I'll admit the thread struck me as odd, like someone asking for directions on how to sneeze. Big Grin
It's second nature. If you shoot traditional single actions, you de-cock it every time you load it. (unless you're just at the range target shooting, but even then I think I de-cock them out of habit)

How you de-cock a revolver is just like you cocked it, only in reverse. Wink

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

If you're not holding back the [trigger], the transfer bar won't stay raised, and there's no way the gun can fire.
fixed it for you

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post