SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Decent hollow-ground screwdriver bits?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent hollow-ground screwdriver bits? Login/Join 
posted
I am looking for some good hollow-ground flathead/slot bits.

I have a set made/sold by Winchester that has the best designed bits I've ever seen for grip screws; the tip isn't even curved--it is short and juts out at a sharp angle (slightly >90 degrees).

However, the metal is cheap and the bits have worn out over the years. I haven't been able to find this same set since I bought it.

For price considerations, as well as storage limitations, I really prefer bits over full size screwdrivers.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Wheeler has good bang for your buck drivers.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Chapman

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Brownells Magna Tip. They are awesome. Best tool investment ever. I use them all the time.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would look at Brownells Magna-Tip bits. They have many different sizes and even offer a few kits for specific guns or just kits with a variety of bits.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my snap-on screwdrivers; the ratcheting drivers with bits have straight or hollow-ground flat bits that fit all the way into a straight slot. To tweaking or messing up screws.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Pepper:
I would look at Brownells Magna-Tip bits. They have many different sizes and even offer a few kits for specific guns or just kits with a variety of bits.

I like mine so much, I bought another set from a gunshop that was closing and selling down to the bare walls.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I've been buying stuff from Brownells since I was a teenager, yet somehow I never knew about these Magna-Tips. Thanks!

They're about 10x what I was expecting to pay, but I do like how they are Brownells and have a "forever" warranty. (Good thing I already gave in to 2020 being an expensive gun year.)

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use bits for work and some gun work.
Brownell's for the win on high quality bits.

However...
My all-time favorite is this set that I've had for years.
That's MSRP in the link, I paid about half of that.
When you need to apply clean power...
https://www.forsterproducts.co...t-of-8-screwdrivers/

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Chapman

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of bits, so I bought Brownells' 10 piece fixed starter set, plus a couple other sizes of the same style for a specific task. I'll probably make a nice wood stand/rack for them once I get the man cave done.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brownells Magna-Tips. I have had my set for at least 30 years. I do not think I have ever broken one. They also have a huge selection.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
I use bits for work and some gun work.
Brownell's for the win on high quality bits.

However...
My all-time favorite is this set that I've had for years.
That's MSRP in the link, I paid about half of that.
When you need to apply clean power...
https://www.forsterproducts.co...t-of-8-screwdrivers/
I knew someone would post these. I bought this set at the Flea Market for $10.00. The deal of the year. When I first looked them up I found the set at $70.00. See them on Ebay at $53.00. They are very high quality.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Brownells Magna Tip. They are awesome. Best tool investment ever. I use them all the time.

I 2nd. the Brownells Magna Tip. Best set I have. Good luck. Pickle Rick

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Second vote for Chapman. I have their "Master Kit in my range bag, and my workshop. And smaller kits on my desk, and in the truck.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As already stated multiple times: Chapman or Brownells Magna-tip. I have both. The Chapman stays in the range box since it is a smaller package. The Magnatips are on the bench and what I reach when not out on the range.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have both Chapman and the Wheeler set, both hollow ground. While the Chapman seems to be better quality overall, and includes a ratchet, it is sorely lacking in the range of slotted bits. Wheeler's set has just about any size (width, thickness) of slotted bit you would need in its set. It includes a long and a short screwdriver-type handle.

While the Chapman Master set includes much more, including metric and SAE hex, more Phillips, Reed & Prince, Robertson, and Torx, its selection of slotted bits is still limited, and slotted is what the OP's question was about.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a RIG 10 in one gunsmith screwdriver years ago. Has a magnetic tip and 10 bits (flat ones are hollow ground) that fit in the hollow handle. Does everything I need.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are all quarter inch hex. You don't have to buy the handle to use the Brownells bits.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I highly reccommend Brownells. I bought a set many years ago. I have been very happy with them. I broke one of the bits a few years ago. I do not remember what I was doing, but it was my fault, nothing wrong with the bit. I called Brownells to order a replacement. When I was giving them my credit card info, I mentioned that I had owned the set for many years and that this was the first one I had broken. The lady asked if this was to replace a broken bit. I said it was. She told me the bit was free and never charged me a cent for the bit.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post