SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Got To Shoot A Wilson EDC X9 Today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got To Shoot A Wilson EDC X9 Today Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
Went to the range with a friend today and he brought his new Wilson. It came in a nice bag with 7 mags. It is a nice gun and shot well with no problems the first time out.

I don't think I want to spend that much on a gun.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
They are awesome guns.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sure as hell wouldn’t want to carry something gnat costs that much. They do look pretty nice though

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I'm saving up for one.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
It's a looker for sure. But a bit too rich for my blood, particularly for something that's intended to be a carry gun, one that's going to be subjected to realities of wear and abuse. For me. That first scratch or wear mark or holster scuff on the exterior after paying that kind of cheddar would be SOOO agonizing. Of course it could always be a range only thing, but what's the point of buying something the size of that if I'm not gonna "EDC" an EDC? Right?

Not that it would actually supplant my trusty G23 anyways... Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Admired and tried one at the Wilson demo bay at the IDPA Nationals.
Grip and sights would require learning new presentation. I'll stick with Commander/Pro that I am accustomed to.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you enjoyed the experience. Nice to play with expensive and well made things.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I carry mine on weekends (too big for office carry).

I absolutely love it. It’s starting to show some wear on high points from the kydex holster it rides in, but it doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

It’s a carry gun and gets treated like one...and will thus eventually look like one.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I carry mine every day. The holster wear and other marks are just part of using a gun as it was intended. It wasn't designed to be collectible and it never will be as a model, barring some famous person using one to safe a plane full of babies...and even then, it'll only be that specific pistol. To me, it's the equivalent of the upgrade, luxury car or truck....underneath it'll perform mostly the same (glock, etc), but it's just "more". I really enjoy mine and will continue to for many years.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
They are beautiful. Id love to shoot one. Doubt I'll ever be able to afford one

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, man...

Trying to refrain.

Out of envy and curiosity, does anyone have any shooting experience to compare the EDC9 (single stack) vs EDCX9?

Congratulations on such a fine handgun.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love mine!

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Since this gun came out, I've wondered if SIG, S&W, DW, Kimber, etc, made a gun with the same specs at their level of quality/fit and finish, and priced it somewhere between $800-$1,200, if it would be a big seller. I'don't bet it would.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SAO autos are a small niche in the pistol business. I doubt it would pay anybody to tool up for a "popularly priced" copy or equivalent.
There are some pretty good plastic striker fired guns in the size range. It is said the X9 magazine tube is from a Walther PPQ.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I love my Wilson 1911’s, so when the EDC X9 was announced I waited patiently for months for my “local” (about 1 1/2 hrs drive away) Wilson dealer to get one in stock. When he did, I was at the shop door the next day when he opened, with cash in hand.

It was a beautiful gun. Typical top notch Wilson quality & workmanship. I loved it, but the more I handled it, the more I thought about the Sigs, Glocks & HK compact 9mm’s that I already have, that are doing the same EDC duty that I plan for the new Wilson.

I reluctantly handed the gun back, took my cash home & put it back in the gun safe to await the next grail gun.

I have no problem at all forking over the money for a Wilson 1911 and although the EDC X9 was a really nice gun, it was just something I couldn’t justify. As always, YMMV.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The more I think about it, it is kind of like a High Power, isn't it?

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
P229 Legion SAO may be a competitor?

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
All of the companies I mentioned have significant 1911 based lines, so they've already committed to the SAO business. I would think with whatever unit count they're selling of those, this kind of gun would give them a significant increase in sales. This seems to be a winner for Wilson. And at half or less of Wilson's price, I think whoever got there first would sell a good number compared to their other 1911 style sales.

And, yes, the numbers would be significantly less than the totality of poly-striker sales. But by now poly-striker has been done to death. Wilson may have created a new sub-niche with the X9. Someone who can sell for less than them could exploit it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
SAO autos are a small niche in the pistol business. I doubt it would pay anybody to tool up for a "popularly priced" copy or equivalent.
There are some pretty good plastic striker fired guns in the size range. It is said the X9 magazine tube is from a Walther PPQ.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe so. Maybe they are just not smart.
But tooling costs would be significant, the X9 does not have a whale of a lot in common with a 1911, lockwork seems about all.

Wilson is a prosperous company and still scratching for something new to sell away from the crowded 1911 market. The EDC X9 is $800 less than its immediate predecessor, the EDC single stack. They are also pushing Berettas, PCCs, and are on the second try for a longer, lower, wider proprietary AR cartridge.