SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sacrilege to swap parts on classic German 226?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sacrilege to swap parts on classic German 226? Login/Join 
Picture of fullmann
posted
I've come to the realization that I want a 226 with a rail. I also want the folded slide of the classics.

Is it sacrilege to buy a folded slide example, and a railed pistol, swap parts until I get what I want and then move on?

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that. It's your gun.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
I don't think so, although I'd keep all of the parts on the chance you want to swap back. One of these days, I'll do the same in order to have a 9mm P220 SAO.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would it be deviant? There's tons of them out there and they are at the end of the day service grade pistols to begin with. Have fun with it and enjoy!

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You may come out a lot cheaper if you bought the railed P226 and then the folded slide assembly separately. If it isn't too cost prohibitive, you can always sell the newer slide later.

I did the same thing with a Glock. Just about the coolest Glock around and only cost $350 out of pocket. Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Springfield that I call MixMaster A.
It comprises the aluminum receiver of a Loaded Lightweight .45 and the barrel + slide of a 9mm Loaded Target.

MixMaster B, the all steel .45 found a new home.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of geektoad
posted Hide Post
I don't see anything wrong with that at all. But then I just got done upgrading my JK 226 to "Legion"ize it. While mine was old, there was absolutely nothing special about it collectability wise, so no harm in it.

Posts: 95 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing with a P220.
Put a stamped slide on a P220 Compact SA frame.
My favorite SIG now.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
You could also try to locate a E26R-9-BSS-GER on the used market.

Looks like that model would check all the boxes.

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
YES!!

Now the search begins

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of used 226Rs in 40 kicking around for around 450-550 now. Might be an option for you.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fullmann:
I've come to the realization that I want a 226 with a rail. I also want the folded slide of the classics.

Is it sacrilege to buy a folded slide example, and a railed pistol, swap parts until I get what I want and then move on?

I wouldn't worry about it for one second!

I've got a railed 220 frame with an old school pre-front dovetailed stamped slide on it. Biggest complaint? The serial numbers don't match but the gun is bank vault tight and I'm in the process of converting it over to da/sa from DAK. There was a recent "frankensig" post on here and all of them are interesting.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post