SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther PPS M2 - probably the best deal on a compact 9x19mm pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther PPS M2 - probably the best deal on a compact 9x19mm pistol Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I don't have a PPS M2.

But I own 2 M1's, a 9mm and 40SW. I loved the Model 1 when it first came out, but just thought it was too expensive. When ptices dropped several years ago, I first bought the 9mm, then wanted another one while the prices dropped and for a spare.

I couldn't find another 9mm, so I bought the 40SW at an even lower price. I put night sights on both, and had the 9mm treated with Ion Bond.

Both are fantastic shooters, I actually like the paddle magazine release. And even though never shooting a M2, I much prefer the M1.

Another option I installed in each pistol, was a DPMS recoil reduction spring system. Drasticaaly reduces recoil, worth the cost. These pistols are easy to carry, offer excellent gripping size, reliable, well made, I will always keep mine.
I also instalked the Hogue beavertail grip on both, I never had a problem with the removeable backstraps, because once I decided what size fit me, I never removed them again.

Under $400 each, several years ago, right before the M2 intoduction.

I am sure the M2 is a great pistol. I just prefer the rail , and paddle mag release and design of the M1. I install a Viridian C5 light on my M1, and often keep it as my house gun. The only downside to the M1 40 SW is the lower magazine capacity.

A long post, but just expressing my opinions.

I also had the 9 and 40 pps Classic or M1 that I bought when prices were dirt cheap after the M2 came out. Sold the 40 shortly after I got a 9. Great feel to shoot compared to other similar sized guns. And the paddle release was cool, but it was my only gun that worked that way. And it became a stumbling point if I was going to use it for self defense. And then I discovered the p365. The pps an inch taller, .5 longer, 3.5 oz heavier. And only holds 6 rounds vs 10 in the smaller 365. I was going to keep the pps because at the current values, it didn’t make sense to sell. But someone offered me a P320 sc 9 for it this week. No brainer, safe journeys PPS.

Posts: 54 | Location: Myrtle beac SC | Registered: March 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can definitely get behind this. I _love_ my PPS M2.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcop143
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
I had a couple of PPS M1s, liked the gun a lot, but didn't care for the flip/flap mag release so I sold them.

Then the PPS M2 came out - range near me had one for rent, ran down and tried it out WOW - loved the gun. Grip was perfect for me, gun shot great, very, very, controllable. This was it, purchased two of them. One was put away NIB, started EDCing the PPS M2 - it made me put up my Glock 19s.

Fired around 1,800 rounds through it, I bought a third one, it was a used one from a guy near me - he said that the grip was to small for him, so my gain. He told me that he put around 200 rounds through it, I shot around 200 more rounds through it - again great gun.

Then after 10 months of EDCing the PPS M2, I read about the peening issues some where experiencing. I checked mine - it looked like Woody the F...ing Woodpecker had gone to town on it with a metal beak!.

Checked the one that had 400 rounds through it - also peening, not like my EDC one though, but enough.

I had three PPS M2s and could see the peening advancement from 0 to a whole freeking lot.

Walther's statement "its normal wear and tear" - yeah right, I've owned a few hundred guns over the last 35 years, and have never seen peening like that.

Sold all three M2s. This was in early in 2017.

I sometimes wonder if Walther has taken care of the problem, and every time I see a M2 in the pistol case I think - maybe give it another chance. Then I say, nope; I'll pass.

Just my experience with the PPS M2s, I will say that of all the small single column 9mm pistols that I have owned or shot - the PPS M2 has been my favorite.

I too had, and loved a PPS M2, but mine suffered with the peening issue. Mind you, never had any issues with the pistol. I shot it well, and it was great to carry, but the peening issue was a significant concern. Compared to some pics I saw of the damage on other people’s pistols, mine appeared to be a moderate case.

I’m no engineer or anything, but you’re going to have a hard time convincing me something like that is normal, or nothing I should worry about. Based on what other PPS owners experienced when they contacted Walther, I never contacted them about it. If that issue has been addressed I certainly would grab another, and add it to the carry rotation. In the meantime, my PPQs in 9 and 45 will get plenty of love. Cool

Posts: 103 | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL @ Sheedy Ern Ern.. what the heck kind of name is that for a person?? I haven't had enough coffee yet.

PPS M2 is also my EDC.. waiting until the 365 is 100%.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
PPS M2 LE version owner here. Bought it NIB from a local LEO for $300. Have 2 Ozarks holsters to go with it. Good deal for the money. I do have to eventually send it back for the recall work. It shoots great and still my EDC. It shoots very much like a larger gun, but disappears when holstered. No peening issues on mine. It still looks very much like a new gun....

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the PPS M2 9mm so much I bought another one ... that tells it all. I have never had any issues and the pistol is a pleasure to carry.

Posts: 243 | Registered: April 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I like them so much I bought a second to keep one at each of my homes. They are my go to Summer gun. I have no complaints.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My PPS M2 is one of my all time favorite carry guns. Shoots great, carries well, and is a reliable piece. I've got well over 2,000 rounds through mine without a hitch.

Posts: 127 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes- the infamous peening issue. Well, let's see- the "S" in "PPS" stanads for "slim". There's just not a lot of width to these pistols. All the internal components are packed in there like sardines on a subway- or something like that. Razz The trigger bar and the barrel chamber are so close that tolerance stacking causes in some PPS M2s (but not all) the forward portion of the trigger bar to smack into the the right side of the rear portion of the barrel during the firing cycle (or, maybe it would be better to say that the right side of the rear portion of the barrel smacks into the forward portion of the trigger bar.)
Yes, this is a well-documented issue, but here's the thing about it- In all that I've read about this issue and with all of the angst and frustration with internal components beating each other up, I've not seen one single comment from anyone who is experiencing this issue that it has caused any failures in the firing cycle. The PPS M2 is, in my experience and in the experience of just about everyone who has posted about this pistol, reliable as all get-out
That fact seems to get lost in all this and I know why. M2 owners, during the course of their online lamentations about peening are understandably upset that it's happening. Whether or not the pistol remains as functionally reliable as M2s which do not have the peening issue seems to be to beside the point for those experiencing it.
They're upset for another reason as well, which is that Walther's response to the peening is to say "Oh, that's normal." What Walther really means is that it would bankrupt their company to fix it. Hell, they've already had to recall thousands of these pistols to fix what is in reality a much more serious issue, which is that the M2s affected by the recall were not drop-safe. Now there is a real issue, boys and girls.
Believe me when I say that I understand the frustration of M2 owners at this response. No, it's not "normal"- what it is, is financially unfeasible for Walther to fix it.

But, does your M2 function? You bet it does. And the peening progresses only to a certain point, and then gets no worse.

My perspective is that of an older shooter/collector. If I were young and owned two or three pistols and I had an M2 with the peening issue, I think I'd be inclined to sell it. For me, however, the M2 is purely a tool. I don't covet the thing. It doesn't keep me awake at night. Just like a sheik with a harem, I have many other gals which can satisfy my needs for beauty and near-perfection, while the M2 remains merely a really good bang.

If we want to talk about fatal flaws, though, I must mention the PPS M1. Here's mine- a first year production pistol with a low serial number.

That pic was taken back in 2007 right after I picked up the pistol. It looks pretty much the same today, because after I got it and was able to closely examine the "Quick Safe" system integral to the changeable backstraps, I realized that I could never carry this pistol. Pistols can get dropped, especially in a struggle, and the Quick Safe system renders the M1 unable to fire if the backstrap pops out of position, and if you saw the precarious attachment interface for the backstrap, you'd realize what I mean. Mind you, the backstrap doesn't need to come off in order to render the pistol inoperable. It merely has to dislodge from its teeny, tiny little catch and move down a couple of millimeters.

I have no desire to rehash this issue. Back in 2007/2008, I drove some people crazy when I pointed out this flaw, There are lots and lots of entirely satisfied PPS M1 users and that's fine with me. You'll notice, though, that in the M2 version Walther eliminated this oh-so-vluable system, eh?

Please, please, do not throw things at your screen. Wink

In all seriousness, the the peening issue is frustrating and perhaps discouraging to M2 owners (as is Walther's disingenuous response to it), but if you view the M2 as do I, it's much ado about nothing.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a PPS M2 LE 9mm that I liked just fine; however, it did not impress me any more than my S&W Shield so I sold it rather than invest in a holster and more mags.

I bought my son a PPS .40 S&W and a few boxes of Underwood 200 grain hardcast ammo last Christmas. I had read about the backstrap popping off this model. The gun I bought was tight but a $8.50 Pachmayr tactical grip sleeve solved that possible issue. We trout fish in northeast GA and western NC and often run across bears and hogs. This is a small, light, powerful handgun option for a sportsman to tote.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Colby Bruce,

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colby Bruce:
The gun I bought was tight but a $8.50 Pachmayr tactical grip sleeve solved that possible issue.
Yes, but the pistol is then not as slim, which is its forte.

posted Hide Post
Yes, but my son is big and has huge hands so this sleeve actually helps his grip, helps to cushion recoil, and provides a better grip surface in a wet environment. I should of mentioned that above.

Was the PPS M2 offered in .40 S&W?

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had read about the blackstrap popping off this model.
It's amusing to me to hear that this is now common knowledge, because back in 2007 and 2008 when I was trying to make people aware of this potentially deadly flaw, you'd think that I was spitting on a portrait of Ronald Reagan. "Well, how could this happen?" they would say. "Unlikely though it may be, don't you acknowledge the possibility that your pistol could get dropped on a hard surface in a struggle?" I'd ask. "How likely is that? they'd ask. "Haven't you ever dropped a gun?" I'd respond. "Well, yes." they'd say. "And this was just an accident, not even a deadly encounter? Factor in the stress and uncertainty of aa close-quarters struggle."

It didn't even seem to occur to anyone else the way PPS M1 magazines are constructed, with that rearward-jutting floorplate. Why did they do that? Ever wonder? Hmmmmm

Also, have you looked at the very tiny engagement interface holding the backstrap in place, and have eyou ever considered the wear to this interface if you actually used this "Quick-Safe" system as Walther suggested? At the end of the day, remove the backstrap to make the pistol safe. Hoo boy. The marketing department needs to leave the engineers alone so that they can make a functioning pistol.

posted Hide Post
Yes I do love the thinness of the PPS M2 but do wish it to be lighter though.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was the PPS M2 offered in .40 S&W?

The PPS M2 is only offered in 9mm at this time.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is a vast improvement over the original I had. The M1 felt like holding a piece of wood,rectangular and not comfortable to hold. It was perfect for carry but I couldn't shoot it well and wound up selling it. I didn't care for the Euro mag. release as they are not for me. I really like the tang of the gun,for guys with big mitts, it fit perfectly and was the reason I thought I would try it but it just didn't work out for me.

I held an M2 not long ago and was impressed at how well it felt and it had the standard/"American"(for the lack of a better term) mag. release. I like the size of it compared to my Shield. Of course the Shield is much bigger,especially for a ccw and is somewhat awkward at times to carry. I just realized these little pistols also have the availability to have a red dot sight on them. It's threads like this that get make me break out the old credit card. Wink

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah thanks Para for the clarification on the peening issue. Mine also has it, though only light peening. It's never failed after many rounds of various ammo, though I'd wonder whether the bar striking the rear bottom right of barrel would slow the slide velocity enough to cause reliability issue. Glad to hear that of those with peening, reliability isn't a concern.

posted Hide Post
I'm glad everyone loves these guns. I had a lot of trouble with mine. The recoil into my hand. It did shoot well though. So it went back to the gun store where it was replaced by a P365 which has been awesome.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post