SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther PPS M2 - probably the best deal on a compact 9x19mm pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther PPS M2 - probably the best deal on a compact 9x19mm pistol Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Our old friend Sheedy Ern Ern has M2s for 290 bucks, and for 40 more dollars, you can get the LE version, which includes an 8 round mag and luminous sights.

These are great single stack 9mm pistols. You can see the review below. Mrgunsngear is a member of the forum, although under a different name. You can trust his reviews.

Walther did issue a recall for M2s in a large block of serial numbers, but that was last year, and any M2 you purchase new from a place as busy as CDNN will certainly be a post-recall pistol. The issue with the pistol was a drop-safe issue, due to a problem with the safety blade on the trigger face. My pistol was part of the recall and Walther took care of it completely free of charge, including shipping both ways.
If you're in the market for a compact 9mm pistol, don't let the recall spook you. 290 for a pistol of this quality is a fantastic deal.

Ignore the stuff about the rebate. This video is from 2017

Posts: 107493 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
+1 on this pistol!!! They are super reliable and make for a comfortable carry. If I didn't already have one, I'd jump on this deal in a hot second!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Para is correct. This is an amazing deal.
My PPS has been 100% reliable and is very accurate.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
When I was shopping for a new CCW last year it came down to the PPS M2 and the S&W Shield. I wound up buying the Shield because (a) the PPS the dealer had was the non-LE variety so the Shield game the higher capacity, and (b) the Shield had a - very slightly - better trigger than the PPS did. But that latter point could very well be reversed with different samples of each gun. The PPS M2 is a really nice gun.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The PPS M1 is a FANTASTIC pistol, the M2 as much so and more with the improved grip.

Decent triggers out of the box, options to run 6 to 8 rounds and flat SHOOT.

They were the Glock 43 LONG before the Glock 43 and I personally feel the better pistol to this day in this class.

One caveat to note my PPS M1 and a some others are fitted REALLY TIGHT from the factory. I have handled some M2s that feel as tight. They might need a box or three of hotter or heavier ammo to loosen them up. Mine had one or two issues with 115 grain crappy stuff in the first 50 rounds or so. After running a box of NATO spec stuff and some +P defensive it runs anything I put in it.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny.. I just traded me PPS Classic for a P320Sc 2 days ago. The pps was a great shooting gun. But it is actually larger than the p365 that replaced it. I had to send the P320 in for the voluntary upgrade, but I think I get the better end of that trade.

Posts: 54 | Location: Myrtle beac SC | Registered: March 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Why is that funny? The P320Sc is going for about 450. The PPS M2 is 290. The PPS M2 is the best deal.

Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of PPS M1s, liked the gun a lot, but didn't care for the flip/flap mag release so I sold them.

Then the PPS M2 came out - range near me had one for rent, ran down and tried it out WOW - loved the gun. Grip was perfect for me, gun shot great, very, very, controllable. This was it, purchased two of them. One was put away NIB, started EDCing the PPS M2 - it made me put up my Glock 19s.

Fired around 1,800 rounds through it, I bought a third one, it was a used one from a guy near me - he said that the grip was to small for him, so my gain. He told me that he put around 200 rounds through it, I shot around 200 more rounds through it - again great gun.

Then after 10 months of EDCing the PPS M2, I read about the peening issues some where experiencing. I checked mine - it looked like Woody the F...ing Woodpecker had gone to town on it with a metal beak!.

Checked the one that had 400 rounds through it - also peening, not like my EDC one though, but enough.

I had three PPS M2s and could see the peening advancement from 0 to a whole freeking lot.

Walther's statement "its normal wear and tear" - yeah right, I've owned a few hundred guns over the last 35 years, and have never seen peening like that.

Sold all three M2s. This was in early in 2017.

I sometimes wonder if Walther has taken care of the problem, and every time I see a M2 in the pistol case I think - maybe give it another chance. Then I say, nope; I'll pass.

Just my experience with the PPS M2s, I will say that of all the small single column 9mm pistols that I have owned or shot - the PPS M2 has been my favorite.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the PPS retailed for around $700 when it first came out. Free market is a hell of a thing.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Bought my M1 for about $500 and I still love it. It's my travel around the country CCW when I might be in restricted magazine locations - plus if I lose it, it's cheap to replace.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son had an M1 and I liked it a lot so I bought what was at the time a newly-introduced M2. I enjoyed that gun a lot.

The price above for the M2 is really attractive. However. I recently sold my M2 (for more than the above price Smile) and replaced it with an M&P 1.0 Compact for $250 after a rebate.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Damn.

I'm really kicking myself for getting rid of my two. I may snatch one of these up if funds become available.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My dad just set up a steel target in his new personal range and let me shoot his PPS. At 25 yards, I put all of the first mag on target, same with the second mag. For the third mag, I tried for the head portion of the target which was hard because the front sight covered the entire thing. I missed once. It's remarkably easy to shoot well.

Posts: 10909 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
My EDC is the PPS Classic, I love that thing. Shoots big, carries small and it’s more accurate than it should be. I would love an M2 and this is a great deal, but alas, I live in California and it is not available to free people like me.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I very much like mine. Granted, I have less than 100 rounds through it but I have had zero problems. Just pulled the slide, and the barrel, and mine does not have any marks or peening on the side of the barrel. Mine is AU7xxx. Sitting on the nightstand right now.

Posts: 426 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I had wanted the PPS (original) for years but it was really pricey. Finally bought one when it went to $380 and just love it and frequently CCW it. It is a bit heavy for it's size but that is because of ii's robust steel sub frame including the substantial frame rails. IMO that accounts for being a soft shooter and uncanny accurate for it's size. Low on capacity by today's latest standards but 7+1 is plenty comforting for me and if I want more rounds I CCW my Glock 19 but my PPS is the best for me for all day carry comfort yet a very capable shooter for me. The PPS is the only slim 9MM option that fits my larger hands well, particularly in regards to trigger reach.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
These are great single stack 9mm pistols. ...

Walther did issue a recall for M2s in a large block of serial numbers, ...

Mine used to be a great single-stack pistol. Then I sent it in for the recall. Now it's just a mediocre single-stack pistol Frown. I'm seriously considering dumpling it.

Between this, the barrel peening some have experienced, the barrel pitting/flaking issues others have experienced, and Walther's lame responses to owners experiencing those issues, it's unlikely I'll ever buy another Walther product again--at any price.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm missing something, all they did was change the trigger bar, and the only reason they changed the trigger bar was because of an issue with the safety lever on the trigger face. Just what exactly changed about your pistol, because the trigger bar they installed was exactly the same as the original trigger bar. They change they made in the recall was essentially an external change.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Trigger used to be relatively light, smooth and crisp. Came back stiff, rough and gritty. Used to shoot dead nuts and consistently. I mean from Day One. No longer the case. Now I'm "just ok" with it.

Sent it in clean and well-lubed. Came back dry as a bone and dirty.

So I don't know what they did to it in the short time they had it, but it's not the pistol it was, which had been my absolute favorite carry piece.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I don't have a PPS M2.

But I own 2 M1's, a 9mm and 40SW. I loved the Model 1 when it first came out, but just thought it was too expensive. When ptices dropped several years ago, I first bought the 9mm, then wanted another one while the prices dropped and for a spare.

I couldn't find another 9mm, so I bought the 40SW at an even lower price. I put night sights on both, and had the 9mm treated with Ion Bond.

Both are fantastic shooters, I actually like the paddle magazine release. And even though never shooting a M2, I much prefer the M1.

Another option I installed in each pistol, was a DPMS recoil reduction spring system. Drasticaaly reduces recoil, worth the cost. These pistols are easy to carry, offer excellent gripping size, reliable, well made, I will always keep mine.
I also instalked the Hogue beavertail grip on both, I never had a problem with the removeable backstraps, because once I decided what size fit me, I never removed them again.

Under $400 each, several years ago, right before the M2 intoduction.

I am sure the M2 is a great pistol. I just prefer the rail , and paddle mag release and design of the M1. I install a Viridian C5 light on my M1, and often keep it as my house gun. The only downside to the M1 40 SW is the lower magazine capacity.

A long post, but just expressing my opinions.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post