SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther CCP owners...Opinions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther CCP owners...Opinions? Login/Join 
posted
I was thinking about getting my wife a pistol for Christmas. When we were out a few day ago, we looked at the Walther CCP, and PPS. She really likes the ergonomics of the CCP, and thinks the PPS is good too. The CCP slide is really easy for her to manipulate. She test fired a PPS (a rental CCP wasn't available at the range), and shot it well. I've read that some people have had some problems with the CCP (mainly FTE). Rather than just follow general reviews on the internet, I thought I'd ask the braintrust of SF for accurate first hand opinions on both the CCP &PPS.
Thanks!

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you end up going for the CCP, make sure it has been to the factory for the upgrade. New ones on the shelf should be ok.

You can tell by looking at the bottom of the grip. Back inside part of the mag well will have a dimple.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'd say PPS for sure. I have an original and it's been great in the oh must be 4 years I've owned it. Not a huge round count but it's in the 1500-ish realm. Never had a malfunction, not even once.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't own one, but I've sold and shot quite a few. They're nice and shoot well. The ergonomics are good. And many people that have issues manipulating slides on other guns don't have issues with these. My main complaint with them (and it's a fairly big one to me) is that you need a tool to disassemble. Putting it back together is also a pain until you do it a few times, at least it was for me and most people I've seen do it.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PPS and the CCP. I like them both, I prefer the CCP for all the reasons mentioned and it is a very soft shooter. YOU will have to learn to clean it. Your wife may have difficulty doing so.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
My wife picked one out for her first gun. It turned out to be the biggest POS I have ever had the misfortune to buy. Experienced 3-5 failures in each 8 round mag. Also had issues with it failing to go into battery on multiple occasions. Happened when my wife shot it, happened when I shot it and when I had another instructor on my teaching team try it. Sent it back to Walther and bought her a H&K VP9. She loves that and the Walther has been in the safe since its return. BTW takedown and cleaning is a complete pain in the ass. I would recommend against buying one.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both. Sold the CCP. The CCP is a great concept (HK P7 gas system, easy to retract slide, ergonomics), but the execution is flawed. The disassembly process in one example. I don't see it as industrial strength. In that size, I'd look to the HK VP9sk (compact) or P320 Compact / Subcompact. I like the PPS, but prefer the Glock 43. Personal preference, nothing wrong with the PPS.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife owned one, traded it toward something or other several months back. I was not a fan of the trigger, and she thought the gas piston would diminish felt recoil, but she still felt it had too much recoil. I agree with others. The disassembly process is a pain the ass that required about 5 hands (perhaps because I didn't get the hang of it).

The PPS M2 is orders of magnitude a better firearm. My PPS M2 is my current ankle gun. I prefer the trigger to the shield and G43.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
The CCP is made in the factory where Umarex makes their airguns. The PPS is made in the ULM factory along with the P99 and PPQ.

I believe the PPS is priced less than the CCP these days which makes it one heck of a bargain.

Personally I could not recommend the CCP to anyone.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
My mom bought one after shooting a bunch of different guns.

pros-
easy to cycle a round
external safety
smaller grip

I think those were the three things that won her over. We put around 300 rounds through hers and no hiccups.

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally I could not recommend the CCP to anyone.

I've never shot one, so I can't do the same with full conviction. But I did struggle with the takedown and reassembly. Done once, never again. Enough for me to allow someone else in our shop to sell CCPs in our inventory. Plus the gun to me feels strong on the chintzy, just like a P22 or PK380, other guns not of Ulm but of Arnsberg.

Ol' JB, if he was of this real world, would be cringing over what his PPK has devolved to.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
Purchased a PPS M2 for the wife from GAG over the weekend. Seemed like a pretty good deal at $280. Hopefully it will be a good firearm for her.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bull,

You won't be disappointed in the PPS M2. With full power loads (think the DoubleTap I carry in my primaries), it can be a bit of a handful, but it's my Rule #1 gun.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear, thank you.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot a friend’s CCP extensively. Awful trigger pull. Heat from the gas system made it unpleasant to shoot ( I have a P7 and I thought the CCP was worse). Disassembly was overly complicated.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. My wife & I went shooting tonight, and she tried the Springfield XD-E in 9mm. She liked the way it shot, and the slide is easy for her to manipulate. She likes the SA/DA of the pistol. This will probably be her Christmas present. Thanks again for the insight on the Walther.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post